The Beatles Remastered - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listened to the remaster of Revolver today finally, still have no idea why it's loved so much of all their albums it's probably in my bottom three with Beatles for Sale and Yellow Submarine (if that even counts). I mean I love Eleanor Rigby and Tomorrow Never Knows, I even rate And Your Bird Can Sing pretty highly too but for the most part I find the album terribly boring.

Overrated? I'll agree with that, if conditionally. But terribly boring? I'm not at all sure about that, good sir or madam.

Blasphemer.

YouTube - : 4y-Records : Low On The High End Since 1985.

Are you the Beatles version of this guy :wink:

Overrated? I'll agree with that, if conditionally. But terribly boring? I'm not at all sure about that, good sir or madam.

I guess Revolver just never really clicked with me at all, for all the times I've heard it it's still left no impression on me. I mean I couldn't tell you what several of the tracks even sound like. I mean I realise it's awesome that the Beatles started to experiment with their sound and come up with no ideas but I just don't enjoy what they did on this album. Songs like Love You To to me are just completely uninteresting, I mean it's cool and all that Harrison was playing a sitar but I don't think it's used to any real effect it gets slightly more interesting towards the end though.

The album features some of the finest moments of the Beatles career but at the same time to me it features some of the their least interesting moments as well. I appreciate the experimentation but I just don't think the songs are all that great

Keep in mind this is just an opinion, it's definitely not fact and I know I'm in a very small minority with it

Revolver ranks in the middle for me. Abbey Road, The White Album, and Magical Mystery Tour all rank higher. Of course, I can't really compare the earlier stuff with the later stuff due to how much different it is. I've grown to really appreciate and love the early stuff lately.

But it's got I'm Only Sleeeeeeping :drool:.....love the lethargy of that song, works so well with the Lyrics, and they do some of that reverse stuff as well.

I once found Revolver not terribly inspiring, but now think it to be one of their top three albums. I would also have to agree with Pitchfork that Lennon really comes into his own on the album: She Said She Said, I'm Only Sleeping, and of course Tomorrow Never Knows are all among his best work.

How can "She Said She Said," "I'm Only Sleeping," "Taxman," "Eleanor Rigby," and "Tomorrow Never Knows" be considered boring? I can understand not digging the experimentation, but this album is a perfect case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, at least for me. Even if certain songs don't particularly work, like "Love You To," it's still interesting to say the least. There's too much brimming under the surface of this album to dismiss it entirely; the cultural significance only adds to it, I think.

Also, Revolver is the best album LSD ever made. Fact.

but this album is a perfect case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, at least for me.

Actually, the rise of Revolver's status the last ten years or so is because of exactly the OPPOSITE of this. Sgt. Pepper's was always considered the better "album" but song-for-song many felt Revolver was stronger, same with Rubber Soul.

Of course, yeah, the idea that this album is boring is ludicrous.

Actually, the rise of Revolver's status the last ten years or so is because of exactly the OPPOSITE of this. Sgt. Pepper's was always considered the better "album" but song-for-song many felt Revolver was stronger, same with Rubber Soul.

Of course, yeah, the idea that this album is boring is ludicrous.

I can see that, more with Rubber Soul than the other three. I'd consider Revolver to be stronger song-by-song, too, but half of the album I'd listen to constantly (ie: the songs I listed above) and the other half I'd listen to in context of the album. When I apply the same thing to Sgt. Pepper, the ratio drops considerably, but it's still awesome.

Sgt. Pepper is quite the anomaly in that regard. I hardly ever listen to that album any more, as none of the songs particular grab me as much as those from other Beatles catalog cuts. Yet whenever I do it has to be in its entirety because its strengths are wholly built around the conceptualization of the "album" in this case. Certainly moreso than any of their other projects at least.

How can "She Said She Said," "I'm Only Sleeping," "Taxman," "Eleanor Rigby," and "Tomorrow Never Knows" be considered boring? I can understand not digging the experimentation, but this album is a perfect case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, at least for me. Even if certain songs don't particularly work, like "Love You To," it's still interesting to say the least. There's too much brimming under the surface of this album to dismiss it entirely; the cultural significance only adds to it, I think.

Also, Revolver is the best album LSD ever made. Fact.

Here, There and Everywhere and For No One are two of my favourite songs off this album, both tend to be overlooked as well..

I wanted to say that the stereo mix of 'All My Loving' sounds pretty different from what I am used to. That is all.

Here, There and Everywhere and For No One are two of my favourite songs off this album, both tend to be overlooked as well..

I dig "For No One" a certain amount, too, but have never gotten into "Here, There, and Everywhere" for whatever reason. It always felt out-of-place for me, especially since something like "Rain" sits out as a B-side.

Clearly we need to do overhauls on ALL the albums, because singles and b-sides were just arbitrarily pulled from their sessions. It's amazing that these albums still wound up being some of the greatest ever, even with these unkind cuts.

Revolver could only benefit from having Rain and Paperback Writer included, and I think it's fair to say that Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out would easily be two of the best songs on Rubber Soul.

Speaking of the redux albums, could someone send one of the long versions of "Dig It" my way please?

I haven't done any research and was still young when the early albums came out, but I think up until Sergeant Pepper, it was mostly about the singles and radio airplay (which is why I consider Sgt. Pepper the most important album in rock history, it changed everything. The concept of the album as a complete work, while ushering in psychedelia at the same time. Even if it isn't a completely solid album song-wise).

I don't know how much thought was put into the albums previous to Pepper, but as Laz pointed out, singles left off were probably as good as the best that were on Revolver and Rubber Soul, for example. My guess is that they were still sorta slapped together haphazardly, though maybe not to the extent of the earliest releases.

I liked watching the reworking of the later albums you guys did here, interesting stuff.

Would it be blasphemous to open up a re-worked Rubber Soul with Day Tripper? Because I don't know if there are better track 1 candidates than that one. I love popping in Past Masters vol. 2 and hearing that blaring out of the speakers.

Would it be blasphemous to open up a re-worked Rubber Soul with Day Tripper? Because I don't know if there are better track 1 candidates than that one. I love popping in Past Masters vol. 2 and hearing that blaring out of the speakers.

Sounds like a viable substitution. Day Tripper is much better than Drive My Car in my reckoning and would be a great opener and lead into Norweigan Wood spectacularly.

I deem it unblasphemous, but to make such a substitution would also raise the issue as to whether We Can Work It Out could find a place on the album, a song I adore very much. Would one be able to sacrifice You Won't See Me or What Goes On for We Can Work It Out? Others (not me) may find Wait, The Word or Girl expendable.

I think you have to try to throw blasphemy out of the equation in these situations to really get creative.

Sounds like a viable substitution. Day Tripper is much better than Drive My Car in my reckoning and would be a great opener and lead into Norweigan Wood spectacularly.

I deem it unblasphemous, but to make such a substitution would also raise the issue as to whether We Can Work It Out could find a place on the album, a song I adore very much. Would one be able to sacrifice You Won't See Me or What Goes On for We Can Work It Out? Others (not me) may find Wait, The Word or Girl expendable.

I don't think there's anything on the album that needs to be dropped for these songs. The albums are so short another 5 minutes isn't going to make much of a difference.

I agree, Day Tripper smokes Drive My Car. DMC is the only part about Rubber Soul I actively dislike. I hate it. It keeps it from being perfect in my eyes. I start my Rubber Soul sessions with Norwegian Wood.

The easiest thing to do with Paperback Writer would probably be to just slot it at the top of Side Two. Probably works better there than What Goes On.

Of course, looking at the official order, it's far from perfect, and could probably use even more of an overhaul.

I do like Run For Your Life as the closer.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion...

As much as I love most of the actual albums and will never stop listening to them, I think I find LOVE a more fun listen than any of them.

I popped Love into the CD player today and it's fucking fantastic, but I see it more as a novelty than anything else. I'm surprised "Tomorrow Never Knows / Within You, Without You" found a spot on Rock Band.

Back
Top Bottom