The Beatles Remastered - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, this took me a long time, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

LET IT BE BETTER

Side One (22.9 minutes)
1. Two of Us (with original intro)
2. One After 909
3. I Me Mine (Let It Be...Naked version)
4. Don't Let Me Down (from Past Masters vol. 2)
5. I've Got A Feeling (Let It Be...Naked version)
6. Maggie Mae
7. The Ballad of John & Yoko (from Past Masters vol. 2)
8. The Long and Winding Road (Let It Be...Naked version)

Side Two (21.1 minutes)
9. Get Back (with original outro)
10. Dig A Pony
11. Old Brown Shoe (from Past Masters vol. 2)
12. Dig It (unreleased longer version)
15. Let It Be (Let It Be...Naked version)
16. Across the Universe (Let It Be...Naked version)

Okay, so I've got some 'splainin' to do. My primary goal here was to beef up this album a bit, as it really comes off slight compared to the rest of the Beatles' releases from the second half of their career. Secondly, I wanted to remain as close as possible to the spirit of the original sessions, which were supposed to be relatively stripped down.

The result of my first goal was that this went from being a more Paul-heavy album to one that clearly has more John. Mainly this is because of the two songs I included from Past Masters vol. 2. Don't Let Me Down shouldn't need much of an explanation--it was on the Naked version that the surviving band members signed off on. It appears that Phil Spector was the one who dropped it from the original release anyway, and the fact that it was performed during the rooftop twice shows the band considered it a highlight.

The other song might be more controversial. The Ballad of John and Yoko wasn't recorded during the Get Back sessions, though it should be pointed out that neither was the version of I Me Mine found on the official release; this was done in 1970 while John wasn't even present. The reason I think it should be included is because it's certainly in the sonic spirit of the Get Back sessions, moreso than the style that the band returned to on Abbey Road. I also like the fact that John and Paul played all the instruments on this song.

Paul didn't have any other originals from these sessions, so I tried to give what he did write for the album more prominence. I never liked the way the powerful Let It Be was sandwiched between the novelties of Dig It and Maggie Mae, the latter being a foolish and slight way to finish out the side. Because Let It Be and The Long and Winding Road are both "showstopper" type numbers, I decided to place the title track near the end of the album for maximum impact. I chose the stripped-down version of TLAWR because Paul feels pretty strongly about it, and the more I listen to it the more it's sounding natural to me. I think it's a nice end to side two.

I'll go in depth a bit more on side one: I put 909 in the two slot because it's a high energy rocker that picks the vibe up after Two of Us. While it may sound very natural, Two of Us into Dig A Pony (at least the verses of the latter) is a bit of a mellow beginning to this rather raucous album. I think 909 is more of a "song two" choice, if that makes any sense. I kept George's song in the 3 slot because I like it there, and chose the Naked version to get rid of Spector's unnecessary embellishments. Don't Let Me Down follows, I think it's certainly worthy of being on side one, as I implied before. I took the Past Masters version, as there's just something that sounds off on the one found on Naked. I've Got a Feeling moved around a bit while I was working on this, but I think it's a stellar track that shouldn't be buried on side two. I used the Naked version, not because there was anything wrong with the original release version, but because they apparently they combined the two rooftop versions for Naked, and it sounds slightly better. I've already commented on The Ballad of John and Yoko, but here I have Maggie Mae segueing into it (the end of the track was clipped closer), and I think they're perfect companion pieces with a similar aesthetic.

On to side two: I think Get Back is a poor closer, not really "big" enough to end an album, but I think it's a great side opener (I wanted to keep Two of Us as the album starter for reasons I've written in here before, namely the bittersweet feeling of hearing Paul & John harmonize, which kind of symbolizes the album). Dig A Pony goes next, a spot I chose for its similarity to being the second song on the first side. Old Brown Shoe is another song that was not on the original album, and in fact was recorded as the band was getting to work on Abbey Road, but it clearly fits more with the material of Let It Be. This song was added as a substitution for For You Blue, which I think is far away the worst song on the album, and one of the band's weakest recordings. I'm not usually this brutal with my album re-workings, preferring to add rather than subtract, but George doesn't need three songs on the album, and Old Brown Shoe, while not a great song, has won me over since these Remasters came out. It's a good rocker.

Another novelty was my addition of an unreleased, longer version of Dig It. It would have been nice if this was included on the Anthology collections, but it wasn't, so this poor recording will have to do. Perhaps it overstays its welcome over the four minutes it goes on for, but I like how it captures the loose jam feeling of the sessions, and personally I've always wished this song would go on longer. It could probably stand to be edited down to two minutes or something, but I've kept almost the entirety of the track, only removing the "That was 'Can You Dig It?' by Georgie Wood..." part, which is funny but I feel takes away from the seriousness of the title track, which I have following Dig It as it does on the original album. I think this is Paul's strongest composition on the album, and it deserves more of a "big finish" spot. The version I've chosen is the one from Naked, which appears to be an amalgamation of the several different versions previously released (from the original Let It Be, the single version found on Past Masters vol. 2, and an alternate take from the Anthology set). My reasoning is that I had a hard time picking the best one, and felt that the Naked version just had more soloing from George.

Though I had viewed the title track as the big closer, I thought Across the Universe would make a nice coda on this, the band's last-released album. Where the title track has a feeling of blunt resolve (the band's over, "move on"), I felt there was something more uplifting and eternal about Lennon's song. I also went with the Naked version here because the other versions have a bit too much going on in them, and the stripped-down sound goes better with the rest of the album instead of sticking out so much.

Please note that while the first side has two more songs then the second, the total side times only have a difference of about 1:45.

If anyone is interested in downloading this version, PM me and let me know.

Hope you like it.

Wonderful write up. I'll be listening to this version soon.

Mmmm, interesting. Just listened to For You Blue for the first time in a good while, tis quite average compared with some George's other Beatles output, and Old Brown Shoe most certainly feels more Let It Be, so this substitution seems very much justified.

I tell ya what though, Across the Universe (Naked) as a closer I was a tad skeptical about. Just listened to it for the first time in yonks, and it works! Nice choice that. Seems very fitting as a closer for the final Beatles release, of course assuming Let It Be Better is released after Abbey Road as well.

Nice work...

Side Two (21.1 minutes)
9. Get Back (with original outro)
10. Dig A Pony
11. Old Brown Shoe (from Past Masters vol. 2)
12. Dig It (unreleased longer version)
15. Let It Be (Let It Be...Naked version)
16. Across the Universe (Let It Be...Naked version)

What happened to 13 and 14?

"Maggie Mae" -> "John and Yoko" worked surprisingly well.

This is a damn fine tracklist.

Intriguing listing.

You used different parameters than myself by adding The Ballad Of John & Yoko and Old Brown Shoe, which I didn't use on mine as they weren't part of the sessions nor part of the film, whereas I Me Mine was in the movie and therefore belongs more.

Agreed with the use of high energy songs to kick it off, which is why I prefer Get Back over Two Of Us there; it really sets the stage better for the whole album by leading off, gives the whole purpose of what they were doing. It definitely didn't belong at the end.

The versions of Let It Be really don't differ too much apart from the solo. I dislike the original album version because it comes on too strong and is a bit all over the place, whereas the single and Naked versions are more succinct. And I know what you are saying with Don't Let Me Down; the original just seems to pack more punch, focusing on Lennon's vocal better at the beginning.

The original Dig It goes on far too long for my tastes, but I understand why you included it here.

Definitely a cool list and concept. I'm gonna give this a spin today on the way to Gatorville. Where did you get that version of "Dig It."

I met a self-proclaimed hardcore Beatles fan who laughed at me for saying "Rocky Raccoon" was one of Paul's best tracks. He then asked me if I had heard "When I'm Sixty-Four," and if it was in stereo, where it's apparently mindblowingly awesome. I must be missing something.

When I'm Sixty-Four actually does sound great on the Yellow Submarine 1999 remaster, although it's nowhere near one of his best songs.

The original Dig It can be found on certain versions of the infamous Beatles bootleg Kum Back, such as the version located at this blog site:

http://mocholand.blogspot.com/2007/05/beatles-kum-back.html

It's also around on many other representations of the Get Back sessions.

So I finished Laz's list, and it's pretty damn good. I could do without the longer version of "Dig It," but I may only be saying that due to inferior sound quality. "Across the Universe" works nicely as the closer and, if we are to believe this is the last thing they released, puts a sorely needed punctuation mark on their career.

YLB, anyone who puts "When I'm Sixty-Four" in their top anything is full of shit.

And since we're on that topic: this might be met with some derision, but one of my favorite McCartney tunes is "I've Just Seen a Face."

When I'm Sixty-Four actually does sound great on the Yellow Submarine 1999 remaster, although it's nowhere near one of his best songs.

The original Dig It can be found on certain versions of the infamous Beatles bootleg Kum Back, such as the version located at this blog site:

the world is only one: THE BEATLES- Kum Back

It's also around on many other representations of the Get Back sessions.

I need to get my hands on this Yellow Submarine remaster. Yeah, it technically sounds good, but that's like saying this piece of shit on a silver platter is better than the one on a paper plate.

This is a good page regarding Kum Back, which is based on the original Glyn Johns acetate of his first rough mix of the proposed album. It's a good read. Note that it doesn't include Dig It.

THE SOURCE - "Kum Back"

Thanks for the links.

YLB, anyone who puts "When I'm Sixty-Four" in their top anything is full of shit.

And since we're on that topic: this might be met with some derision, but one of my favorite McCartney tunes is "I've Just Seen a Face."

I also got a WTF? face for asserting that Side Two of The White Album is one of the finest stretch of tracks on any of their albums. John's also pretentious, by the way, while Macca's more "real." Again, not trying to rail on one and raise up the other, but that's bullshit on both counts.

"I've Just Seen a Face" is fantastic; it was just unlucky to appear in Across the Universe.

Speaking of which, I watched the opening and closing cut scenes for Rock Band and they're fucking incredible. THAT'S what any modern Beatles movie should look like, especially if Zemeckis is going forward with his Yellow Submarine remake.

None of the links on those blogs have "Dig It," for some reason. I'll do some more snoopin'.

Hmmm...I didn't download anything from that site myself, so didn't know. Although the artwork they posted says it has Dig It:

kb1ack.jpg

That's from the first linke I posted, by the way, not the second.

http://mocholand.blogspot.com/2007/05/beatles-kum-back.html

Yeah, I downloaded from there, and they switched "Dig It" with a minute-long song called "The Walk," which is apparently a cover.

Like Bono, they prove themselves to be first-rate LIARS.

Intriguing listing.

You used different parameters than myself by adding The Ballad Of John & Yoko and Old Brown Shoe, which I didn't use on mine as they weren't part of the sessions nor part of the film, whereas I Me Mine was in the movie and therefore belongs more.

Agreed with the use of high energy songs to kick it off, which is why I prefer Get Back over Two Of Us there; it really sets the stage better for the whole album by leading off, gives the whole purpose of what they were doing. It definitely didn't belong at the end.

The versions of Let It Be really don't differ too much apart from the solo. I dislike the original album version because it comes on too strong and is a bit all over the place, whereas the single and Naked versions are more succinct. And I know what you are saying with Don't Let Me Down; the original just seems to pack more punch, focusing on Lennon's vocal better at the beginning.

The original Dig It goes on far too long for my tastes, but I understand why you included it here.

Thanks for the response. I guess I widened the parameters because this project was basically abandoned and heavily criticized, and figured all bets should be off. Considering there are tracks on Abbey Road that were demoed all the way back in early '68, I figured it wouldn't be too sacrelige to borrow some songs done in the same spirit.

This may me too abstract or subjective of a thing to try and explain, but even though Get Back is "harder" than Two of Us, there's something missing for me. It's a bit plodding, even though there's a fair bit of energy, and just never soars in the way the other song does. Two of Us just puts a smile on the face, and the melody is a lot catchier, the overall sound more inviting. I also think the repeated line "on our way back home" is almost like an invocation to "getting back" to an older sound, if that makes any sense. It sets the stage.

Am going to check out that last link you posted to see if I can find a better version of Dig It, and I'll also try editing down my 4 minute version to something more palatable.

I was all happy when I was in Chicago and noticed the remasters at a Certain Large Coffee Shop Chain, and figured "SCORE! I can get them all with my discount!"

So I buy the 4 they have at the store and figure I'll hunt around the Seattle locations when I get back to find them all. And of course now it looks like we're only selling those 4.

Oh well. At least I got 4 at a discount.

So the version of Dig It from that last link Phanan posted is in much better quality (the files were all .flac), even though it appears to be from the same take I used. I whittled off about 1:30 from the front, so it fades in roughly where it does on the original album "...like a rolling stone...". I also took the little instrumental "Rocker" and dropped it in to make up for some of that lost time. It's just over half a minute (like Maggie Mae), and I think it fits nicely in-between Dig A Pony and Old Brown Shoe.

Saved the best for last: I'm listening to the White Album remastered for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom