The Beatles Remastered - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the acoustic version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" that I got from a mixtape, but no, I don't own anything besides that. I'll try and get a hold of it soon then.

It's worth a purchase, esp. if you can get it used. The booklet has a lot of info and is nicely done. Vol.2 is great as well, for obvious reasons, as it covers the Rubber Soul/Revolver/Pepper's/MMT period.

That Anthology version of "White My Guitar Gently Weeps" is awesome, but the LOVE version is the most essential of any.

Don't watch this if you ever plan on seeing LOVE and don't want anything spoiled for you:

I've said before that of the many spectacular moments in LOVE, the rooftop silhouettes at the beginning just give me the chills. This video doesn't do the entire sequence much justice, but it's a taste of those silhouettes:

Get up and go.

I could seriously see that show once a week and be perfectly fine with it. Those of you going to Las Vegas for Shuttlecock have to go.

This Pepper's thing is rather difficult. My first thought is that you can see the songs about the mundanity of modern living seem to be mostly on side two, with the trio of When I'm Sixty Four, Lovely Rita, and Good Morning, and it can also be argued that A Day in the Life is the culminating apocalypse of that study. The more abstract material is on side one, with the exception of She's Leaving Home.

Personally, I never liked the transition of She's Leaving Home into Mr. Kite, the most "realistic" song into the most nonsensical. Plus the former is a bit of a downer, and might be better served by being pushed further into the album where people are a bit more hooked in. In the original track order it closed out side one, coming after Getting Better which probably worked better than what they have now. I think it would be a great segue into When I'm Sixty Four, because both are really about the divide between youth and adulthood.

What I like about the original, pre-release placement of Mr. Kite (coming after With A Little Help) was that it was in keeping with the performance concept of the album. It's painful to think of moving Lucy out of the three spot, but it might work better elsewhere.

I'm also not sure about Within You Without You as an opener for side two (and we should be thinking in terms of sides, considering when the album came out). It's going to sound out of place anywhere because it's the only Eastern-flavored song on the album, but after the madness of Lucy (which also has some exotic instrumentation) it might not come off so jarring. I also think Penny Lane just has such a great hook right off the bat, it's a natural to open side two where you want to draw the listener in again after flipping the record, so to speak.

Here's my first go at a track listing:

Side One
1. Sgt. Pepper's
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite
4. Getting Better
5. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
6. Within You Without You
7. Fixing A Hole
8. It's Only A Northern Song

Side Two
9. Penny Lane
10. Strawberry Fields Forever
11. She's Leaving Home
12. When I'm Sixty-Four
13. Lovely Rita
14. Good Morning
15. Sgt. Pepper's (reprise)
16. A Day in the Life

It's worth a purchase, esp. if you can get it used. The booklet has a lot of info and is nicely done. Vol.2 is great as well, for obvious reasons, as it covers the Rubber Soul/Revolver/Pepper's/MMT period.

It's going for about 15 on Amazon. I'll chalk that down with the Christmas batch. I'd love to dive into the Volume 2 as well. Depends on price.

That Anthology version of "White My Guitar Gently Weeps" is awesome, but the LOVE version is the most essential of any.

Definitely.

This Pepper's thing is rather difficult. My first thought is that you can see the songs about the mundanity of modern living seem to be mostly on side two, with the trio of When I'm Sixty Four, Lovely Rita, and Good Morning, and it can also be argued that A Day in the Life is the culminating apocalypse of that study. The more abstract material is on side one, with the exception of She's Leaving Home.

Personally, I never liked the transition of She's Leaving Home into Mr. Kite, the most "realistic" song into the most nonsensical. Plus the former is a bit of a downer, and might be better served by being pushed further into the album where people are a bit more hooked in. In the original track order it closed out side one, coming after Getting Better which probably worked better than what they have now. I think it would be a great segue into When I'm Sixty Four, because both are really about the divide between youth and adulthood.

What I like about the original, pre-release placement of Mr. Kite (coming after With A Little Help) was that it was in keeping with the performance concept of the album. It's painful to think of moving Lucy out of the three spot, but it might work better elsewhere.

I'm also not sure about Within You Without You as an opener for side two (and we should be thinking in terms of sides, considering when the album came out). It's going to sound out of place anywhere because it's the only Eastern-flavored song on the album, but after the madness of Lucy (which also has some exotic instrumentation) it might not come off so jarring. I also think Penny Lane just has such a great hook right off the bat, it's a natural to open side two where you want to draw the listener in again after flipping the record, so to speak.

Here's my first go at a track listing:

Side One
1. Sgt. Pepper's
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite
4. Getting Better
5. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
6. Within You Without You
7. Fixing A Hole
8. It's Only A Northern Song

Side Two
9. Penny Lane
10. Strawberry Fields Forever
11. She's Leaving Home
12. When I'm Sixty-Four
13. Lovely Rita
14. Good Morning
15. Sgt. Pepper's (reprise)
16. A Day in the Life

I'll have to try that out, sounds like a good contextualized mix as well. I was working with those 3 songs earlier than just decided to dump all of the MMT tracks in there, even if they weren't recorded at the same time. It's organized more by sound than anything else, so the concept may be a little murky but I still think it works. The mix actually runs the length of a full disc and around the same time as The White Album:

Side One
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
2. With a Little Help from My Friends
3. Magical Mystery Tour
4. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
5. Hello, Goodbye
6. Getting Better

Side Two
7. Penny Lane
8. When I'm Sixty-Four
9. Lovely Rita
10. Your Mother Should Know
11. Fixing a Hole
12. She's Leaving Home

Side Three
13. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
14. Only a Northern Song
15. I Am the Walrus
16. Flying
17. Blue Jay Way
18. Strawberry Fields Forever
19. Within You, Without You

Side Four
20. All You Need Is Love
21. The Fool on the Hill
22. Good Morning Good Morning
23. Baby You're a Rich Man
24. Sgt. Pepper's (Reprise)
25. A Day in the Life

An interesting experiment. The only problem is that all of Side Two is Paul (with the exception of co-writing from John on She's Leaving Home), and all of Side Three is John and George (with the exception of the full band credit for Flying).

I mean, if you're going to do that and include Only a Northern Song, you may as well throw in the other Yellow Submarine songs, which include It's All Too Much (recorded right after Sgt. Pepper's and originally intended for MMT), All Together Now (recorded during the MMT sessions), Hey Bulldog (which was the last of the pre-White Album songs) and fits here sonically, and All You Need Is Love, also recorded in 1967.

An interesting experiment. The only problem is that all of Side Two is Paul (with the exception of co-writing from John on She's Leaving Home), and all of Side Three is John and George (with the exception of the full band credit for Flying).

I mean, if you're going to do that and include Only a Northern Song, you may as well throw in the other Yellow Submarine songs, which include It's All Too Much (recorded right after Sgt. Pepper's and originally intended for MMT), All Together Now (recorded during the MMT sessions), Hey Bulldog (which was the last of the pre-White Album songs) and fits here sonically, and All You Need Is Love, also recorded in 1967.

I wasn't thinking about that, but they all fit together fairly well in their spots. If that's the case, I'll revisit some of those Yellow Submarine tracks.

Has Harrison ever sounded dirtier than that? Forgive me for suggesting that it makes Clapton's bit on While My Guitar come off a little tame.

George has a reason to be angry if this didn't make the album over "Savoy Truffle." Because lame songs about food are only good if they come in threes.

I thought "Not Guilty" being great was fairly common knowledge?

I'm so unfamiliar with Beatles non-album tracks that I can't keep up with this discussion. But it's enjoyable to read, anyway.

A lot of people don't have the Anthology albums. They came out almost 15 years ago, dude.

You've got a point there. Are the first and second installments of Anthology worth the trouble? Three is the only one I've got.

I'll try my hand at it:

Side 1

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
With A Little Help From My Friends
Your Mother Should Know
I Am The Walrus
Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite
Within You Without You

Side 2

The Fool On The Hill
Strawberry Fields Forever
Penny Lane
Baby You're A Rich Man
Getting Better
Fixing A Hole

Side 3

Magical Mystery Tour
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Blue Jay Way
Flying
She's Leaving Home
All You Need Is Love

Side 4

When I'm Sixty-Four
Lovely Rita
Good Morning Good Morning
Hello Goodbye
Sgt. Pepper's Reprise
A Day In The Life

You've got a point there. Are the first and second installments of Anthology worth the trouble? Three is the only one I've got.

First one, probably not. Though you do get Free As A Bird, which I'm convinced would be a classic had it been released during the glory days. Vol.2 is a no-brainer, really. You'll have a lot of fun with it. And you can get it used on Amazon for under $10.

I have to say that Vol. 1, while not on the level of the other two, is fascinating from an historical point of view. Listening to their beginnings as far back as 1958, and seeing where they ended up, it really is an incredible journey they took.

Plus, there are some really great songs there, like the original version of One After 909.

As far as revisiting Sgt. Pepper's, adding Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, and Only A Northern Song certainly would have put a different twist on it. I'll have to see what I come up with; I like laz's take, although I can't bring myself to move Lucy.

I've been more obsessed lately digging into Let It Be and comparing the original album versions with alternates, single versions, and the naked album. I think the material is more than solid for a great album; just a little tweaking here and there and it would have been perfect. Let It Be...Naked was a good attempt, but some of the versions on there aren't as good, like Don't Let Me Down, and taking away the false ending in Get Back is criminal. A revisit to the track listing is in order.

Has anybody here ever listened in depth to the pre-Sgt. Pepper Capital U.S. albums? My gut says the only people those albums(in that form) appeal to are the boomers in the U.S. who actually grew up listening to them. But for boomers anywhere else and younger people everywhere who didn't actually grow up when the Beatles were around, the U.K. discography is the only discography. I don't really approve of how the U.S. albums came to be...Capital basically butchered the albums, cut-and-pasted tracks to make the albums they thought would sell the most, until the Beatles put a stop to it at Sgt. Pepper. I don't think anyone would disagree that the U.K. discography is the discography as the Beatles intended it. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone's listened to any of the U.S. albums extensively, and if anyone has any thoughts on them? I think I'm going to put some playlists together in ITunes that match the U.S. albums, and give them a try. Though Revolver without "I'm Only Sleeping", "And Your Bird Can Sing", and "Dr. Robert" seems blasphemous.

those drove me nuts as a kid because i've always been wicked ocd as far as knowing exact track listing, which songs are on every album, and whatnot. i didn't know what to make of "it's only love" being on help when i'd previously known it to be on rubber soul. even now i sometimes get a little fuzzy on certain songs from the early albums.

As far as revisiting Sgt. Pepper's, adding Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, and Only A Northern Song certainly would have put a different twist on it. I'll have to see what I come up with; I like laz's take, although I can't bring myself to move Lucy.

I've been more obsessed lately digging into Let It Be and comparing the original album versions with alternates, single versions, and the naked album. I think the material is more than solid for a great album; just a little tweaking here and there and it would have been perfect. Let It Be...Naked was a good attempt, but some of the versions on there aren't as good, like Don't Let Me Down, and taking away the false ending in Get Back is criminal. A revisit to the track listing is in order.

I've been working on something for Let It Be, but I've gotta hear the tracks off of Anthology 3 before I can make a steady tracklist.

:)

I have questions for you but you are about to go to sleep so they will be tabled. Sleep well.

You live in the NE area, yes, so, I'll assume you are a Pats fan.....hopefully you are not working tomorrow night so you can watch them destroy Buffalo.

monday morning is friday night in my world and then i'm off til thursday night. if i can figure out how to use our tv's surround sound system, i will be watching said game on our 73 inch tv. my housemates better be around to tell me which remote to use...

I read it all too. Great post, IWB.

thank you, sir.

First one, probably not. Though you do get Free As A Bird, which I'm convinced would be a classic had it been released during the glory days. Vol.2 is a no-brainer, really. You'll have a lot of fun with it. And you can get it used on Amazon for under $10.

i like the first one because i recently became a sucker for seeing the way the beatles fit into existing rock n roll when they first started. like i've said, i sort of look at music in two groups--the beatles, and everything else, treating them as if they existed in a vacuum. having more a knowledge of rock n roll history at 25 than i did at age 10, i find the first part of the anthology interesting. it's not as nice a sample of covers as live at the bbc, but it's cool.

vol 2 is great. and maybe it's just the sappy motherfucker in me, but i really, really, really like "real love". better than "free as a bird."

A lot of people don't have the Anthology albums. They came out almost 15 years ago, dude.

Also, Lennon's missing track from The White Album was worthy of inclusion as well. How Revolution 9 got in but this didn't is rather strange, but maybe two fucked up songs was just too much for Macca.

YouTube - The Beatles "What's The New Mary Jane?" (Rare, unreleased)

holy shit, that was almost 15 years ago?

what's the new mary jane should have been on there, either following or before happiness is a warm gun (i'm leaning toward before, and moving happiness later in the side). revolution 9 never should have happened. i want to exile it to a special hell where it's only got "hey foxymophandlemomma" as company. fuck pearl jam for that shit.

i too thought it was common knowledge "not guilty" was awesome.

perhaps an unpopular opinion along the same lines: i would have liked to see "teddy boy" on something rather than being given to bad finger.

Just tell me this didn't belong on the White Album. Tell me it wouldn't be one of the 5-10 best songs on there:

YouTube - The Beatles - Not Guilty

Great tune, but I just can't imagine it being on there. Maybe it's just because I'm so comfortable with the awkward mess the White Album is, that I don't want anyone to "clean" it up...

Some interesting expansions of the Sgt. Pepper's tracklisting there, might give some of them a whirl. Interesting to see the omission from consideration of "It's All Too Much", a cracking Harrison song, which is remarkably long. Pretty sure it was written during the Pepper sessions. Can't imagine it on the album though....maybe the exlcusion of Northern Song and All Too Much is due to some unwritten law about only allowing Harrison one tune on the album? Who knows, seems strange considering he had 3 on Revolver and Rubber Soul, maybe the others felt he was going too far with his Indian interests?

Anthology 1 is cool for the fact it's got In Spite Of All The Danger. My proper introduction to the Beatles was the Anthology TV series as a 9 year old and I watched it over and over and over for years after that. A fascinating story. But that song on the TV series resonated withme somewhat profoundly and it always intrigued me, I remember the video behind the music was the camera going through the Jacaranda Club or somewhere and there was some smiley face on the wall. It's a lovely little song though, the harmonies are a delight. Years later I found Paul playing it solo and live at a recent gig and I thought it was the coolest thing. Anyway, enough rambling....

Has anybody here ever listened in depth to the pre-Sgt. Pepper Capital U.S. albums? My gut says the only people those albums(in that form) appeal to are the boomers in the U.S. who actually grew up listening to them. But for boomers anywhere else and younger people everywhere who didn't actually grow up when the Beatles were around, the U.K. discography is the only discography. I don't really approve of how the U.S. albums came to be...Capital basically butchered the albums, cut-and-pasted tracks to make the albums they thought would sell the most, until the Beatles put a stop to it at Sgt. Pepper. I don't think anyone would disagree that the U.K. discography is the discography as the Beatles intended it. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone's listened to any of the U.S. albums extensively, and if anyone has any thoughts on them? I think I'm going to put some playlists together in ITunes that match the U.S. albums, and give them a try. Though Revolver without "I'm Only Sleeping", "And Your Bird Can Sing", and "Dr. Robert" seems blasphemous.

My stepfather was/is a huge Beatles fan, and he has all the original Capitol albums on vinyl. And he prefers them that way.

Obviously, we can look back and know that the UK discography is the definitive one, and what Capitol did was blasphemous, but for those people who grew up in the U.S. during that time, those were the only albums they knew, so it's understandable that they would have a certain attachment to them.

I do like some things, like I've Just Seen A Face at the beginning of Rubber Soul, as it seems perfect for that album, but other than that, compared to the UK versions, they are horrendous.

Great tune, but I just can't imagine it being on there. Maybe it's just because I'm so comfortable with the awkward mess the White Album is, that I don't want anyone to "clean" it up...

Not sure what you mean by "clean" it up; a couple of changes here and there wouldn't alter it too much.

Some interesting expansions of the Sgt. Pepper's tracklisting there, might give some of them a whirl. Interesting to see the omission from consideration of "It's All Too Much", a cracking Harrison song, which is remarkably long. Pretty sure it was written during the Pepper sessions. Can't imagine it on the album though....maybe the exlcusion of Northern Song and All Too Much is due to some unwritten law about only allowing Harrison one tune on the album? Who knows, seems strange considering he had 3 on Revolver and Rubber Soul, maybe the others felt he was going too far with his Indian interests?

It's All Too Much was recorded after the sessions for Sgt. Pepper's were over, hence it not being considered.

I don't think there was any unwritten rule that he could only have one song on that album, as far as I remember. As you note, he had multiple songs on other albums at the time anyway (although it was only 2 for Rubber Soul, not 3).

Not sure what you mean by "clean" it up; a couple of changes here and there wouldn't alter it too much.

Yeah, would the album really suffer if "Wild Honey Pie" was removed and "Savoy Truffle" was replaced by "Not Guilty?" Revisionist? Yeah, but who's really clamoring to hear those two tracks in particular? Not to mention the roaring version of "Revolution," "Hey Jude," or even "Lady Madonna..."

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Mystery Submarine updated:

Side One
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (McCartney)
2. With a Little Help from My Friends (Lennon and McCartney)
3. Magical Mystery Tour (McCartney, with Lennon)
4. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! (Lennon)
5. Only a Northern Song (Harrison)
6. Hello, Goodbye (McCartney)
7. Getting Better (McCartney, with Lennon)

Side Two
8. Good Morning Good Morning (Lennon)
9. Hey Bulldog (Lennon)
10. Baby You're a Rich Man (Lennon and McCartney)
11. Your Mother Should Know (McCartney)
12. When I'm Sixty-Four (McCartney)
13. Fixing a Hole (McCartney)
14. She's Leaving Home (McCartney, with Lennon)

Side Three
15. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (Lennon)
16. Flying (Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, and Starkey)
17. The Fool on the Hill (McCartney)
18. Blue Jay Way (Harrison)
19. I Am the Walrus (Lennon)
20. Strawberry Fields Forever (Lennon)
21. Within You, Without You (Harrison)

Side Four
22. All You Need Is Love (Lennon)
23. Penny Lane (McCartney, with Lennon)
24. All Together Now (McCartney, with Lennon)
25. Lovely Rita (McCartney)
26. It's All Too Much (Harrison)
27. Sgt. Pepper's (Reprise) [McCartney]
28. A Day in the Life (Lennon and McCartney)

I tried to address the concentrated pockets of songwriting groups on the different sides as best as I could while still keeping similarly themed/sounding tracks together. The more avantgarde stuff on Side Three is still pretty Lennon/Harrison dominated and essentially houses half of the Magical Mystery Tour material, while Side Two still has a focus on Macca's "granny music," albeit with a stronger precense of Lennon as a singer and songwriter. Side Four is probably the most balanced of the bunch. I'm curious to see what you guys think of it now.

I'd ditch "Your Mother Should Know" outright, but I like the symmetry of 7 tracks per side. The songwriting credit come from Wiki:

List of The Beatles songs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've been working on something for Let It Be, but I've gotta hear the tracks off of Anthology 3 before I can make a steady tracklist.

I don't really think there is anything on Anthology 3 that improves on the other versions around, although Teddy Boy is on there and could be a possibility (it was part of the original Get Back track listing).

Back
Top Bottom