The Beatles Remastered - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
434323b.jpg

It really is a fucked up compilation, with a strange track listing and jarring sequencing, but I used to love listening to it.

This was before I had a clue what was what in the Beatles world.

At a very young age, the Blue compilation was my first real exposure to the band. It's really been all downhill from there. I remember being made fun of in 7th grade for having a burnt CD of Beatles songs on my Walkman.

At a very young age, the Blue compilation was my first real exposure to the band. It's really been all downhill from there. I remember being made fun of in 7th grade for having a burnt CD of Beatles songs on my Walkman.

Well, of course you were made fun of. I bet the CD looked pretty ridiculous in a walkman's tape slot.

That's where we differ on this. I don't think he's trying too hard; I think he's doing it on purpose. When you say forced, you are implying that he went beyond his vocal capabilities, that he's straining to sing a particular line. Perhaps it comes across that way, but I think he wanted to do it like that all along.

forced adj. (the following from several sources):

2 : done or produced with effort, exertion, or pressure <a forced laugh>

2. false or unnatural: forced jollity

2. Produced under strain; not spontaneous: forced laughter.

Again, I know he WANTED to do it that way. He wants to sound rough around the edges to combat his image. And you can sense that desperation, that's all I'm saying. John sounds more natural when he's screaming; it just fits his style and range better.

Also, here's an anectode from the recording sessions:

"He came to the studio early every day for a week to sing it because his voice was too clear. He wanted it to sound strained, like he had been performing it all week."

If that's not forced, I don't know what is.

Do you think when George went through his sitar phase that it got old real quick?

Yes. Though he really only used it on Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, and on The Inner Light, no? Paul did this crap for like 5 straight albums, plus singles.

Get Back sessions n. (the following from several sources):

2 : done or produced with effort, exertion, or pressure.

2. false or unnatural: forced studio time.

2. Produced under strain; not spontaneous: forced recordings.

:wink:

Not one of the remasters, but the first album we got in the USA. I remember my sister bringing it home the day it came out, and we played that platter over and over and over........

Side 1:

I Want to Hold Your Hand
I Saw Her Standing There
This Boy
It Won't Be Long
All I've Got to Do
All My Loving

...... a side of hits as good as any of their releases. Though I do love the older stuff.

album_Beatles-Meet-The-Beatles.jpg

All My Loving really as good a pop song as there has ever been. It's perfect. Over the past day, I've been listening to the early recordings the most (in fact, I haven't hit Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, or The White Album), and I'm just absolutely plundered by the plethora of perfect melodies--album tracks and all, originals and covers. Just brilliant pop music!

29781951_f5daf97af9.jpg

Mrs. Tourist isn't going to like this. We all know she runs a pretty tight ship.

:ohmy:

Oh boy. Alliteration always amounts to atrocious antics. Arrested Development would have at least brought a smile to my face, you douches.

110-hotcops2-sm-1.jpg

Anyway, I love going old testament on silly fucks who say The Beatles weren't influential and were only popular because of the lack of competition when they were a band in the 70s. :happy:

forced adj. (the following from several sources):

2 : done or produced with effort, exertion, or pressure <a forced laugh>

2. false or unnatural: forced jollity

2. Produced under strain; not spontaneous: forced laughter.

Again, I know he WANTED to do it that way. He wants to sound rough around the edges to combat his image. And you can sense that desperation, that's all I'm saying. John sounds more natural when he's screaming; it just fits his style and range better.

Also, here's an anectode from the recording sessions:

"He came to the studio early every day for a week to sing it because his voice was too clear. He wanted it to sound strained, like he had been performing it all week."

If that's not forced, I don't know what is.

It's done with exertion, true, but the second and third definitions, saying it's "false and unnatural" and "produced under strain", is the part I don't agree with, but that's just me. I don't think he's really straining; I think he had the natural ability to pull that off.

Of course, that anectode says otherwise, so perhaps I'm in the wrong here.

Yes. Though he really only used it on Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, and on The Inner Light, no? Paul did this crap for like 5 straight albums, plus singles.

It's a smaller sample size, yes; just pointing it out for comparison, as there aren't as many overall Harrison compositions to begin with.

All My Loving really as good a pop song as there has ever been. It's perfect. Over the past day, I've been listening to the early recordings the most (in fact, I haven't hit Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, or The White Album), and I'm just absolutely plundered by the plethora of perfect melodies--album tracks and all, originals and covers. Just brilliant pop music!

All My Loving is beautiful.

Not aimed at anybody in particular, this. Just kind of a general reaction to 20+ years of hearing, "Yeah, but McCartney was shit." The conversation has me thinking about all of this.

I will never understand any hate for McCartney, re: his work with The Beatles. Never. A few bad songs? Of course, given that he suffers from being human, even if only just. What a sin. They all wrote bad songs. He's not my "favorite" Beatle, his post-Beatles output is pretty shit (just like the vast majority of everybody else's), he could be childish, but he did kind of write a spectacularly high percentage of the greatest songs of the last 150 years. I choose to focus on that last part, rather than "Wild Honey Pie."

I've been thinking that perhaps I didn't need to bother purchasing Yellow Submarine. All of the songs were already remixed and remastered a decade ago and sound fantastic, and I could care less for the score. I may download first and do a comparison to be sure, but I'm betting it won't sound drastically different (and if it does, it may be worse).

I haven't opened it yet, so I may return it. However, I wonder if I do if I lose the gift card.

Perhaps I'll just exchange it for another CD without using the receipt.

If you have the reciept you might just get a new gift card.

But the salesperson is probably inundated with customers experiencing cognitive dissonance or regret at purchasing the Yellow Submarine soundtrack.

Only essential for completists, I suppose.

Given the amount of copies made, it's going to be a very easily found misprint.

Unless I've got an oddity here. Anyone else have the same thing?

Just checked, mine says Magical Mystery Tour Mini Documentary. Not Let It Be. So one of us has an oddity for sure.

Not aimed at anybody in particular, this. Just kind of a general reaction to 20+ years of hearing, "Yeah, but McCartney was shit." The conversation has me thinking about all of this.

I will never understand any hate for McCartney, re: his work with The Beatles. Never. A few bad songs? Of course, given that he suffers from being human, even if only just. What a sin. They all wrote bad songs. He's not my "favorite" Beatle, his post-Beatles output is pretty shit (just like the vast majority of everybody else's), he could be childish, but he did kind of write a spectacularly high percentage of the greatest songs of the last 150 years. I choose to focus on that last part, rather than "Wild Honey Pie."

:up::up::up:

This.

Back
Top Bottom