The Beatles Remastered - Part II - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #121
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:25 PM
I have the acoustic version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" that I got from a mixtape, but no, I don't own anything besides that. I'll try and get a hold of it soon then.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #122
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:25 PM
It's worth a purchase, esp. if you can get it used. The booklet has a lot of info and is nicely done. Vol.2 is great as well, for obvious reasons, as it covers the Rubber Soul/Revolver/Pepper's/MMT period.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #123
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:25 PM
That Anthology version of "White My Guitar Gently Weeps" is awesome, but the LOVE version is the most essential of any.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #124
ONE
love, blood, life

Don't watch this if you ever plan on seeing LOVE and don't want anything spoiled for you:

I've said before that of the many spectacular moments in LOVE, the rooftop silhouettes at the beginning just give me the chills. This video doesn't do the entire sequence much justice, but it's a taste of those silhouettes:

Get up and go.

I could seriously see that show once a week and be perfectly fine with it. Those of you going to Las Vegas for Shuttlecock have to go.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

This Pepper's thing is rather difficult. My first thought is that you can see the songs about the mundanity of modern living seem to be mostly on side two, with the trio of When I'm Sixty Four, Lovely Rita, and Good Morning, and it can also be argued that A Day in the Life is the culminating apocalypse of that study. The more abstract material is on side one, with the exception of She's Leaving Home.

Personally, I never liked the transition of She's Leaving Home into Mr. Kite, the most "realistic" song into the most nonsensical. Plus the former is a bit of a downer, and might be better served by being pushed further into the album where people are a bit more hooked in. In the original track order it closed out side one, coming after Getting Better which probably worked better than what they have now. I think it would be a great segue into When I'm Sixty Four, because both are really about the divide between youth and adulthood.

What I like about the original, pre-release placement of Mr. Kite (coming after With A Little Help) was that it was in keeping with the performance concept of the album. It's painful to think of moving Lucy out of the three spot, but it might work better elsewhere.

I'm also not sure about Within You Without You as an opener for side two (and we should be thinking in terms of sides, considering when the album came out). It's going to sound out of place anywhere because it's the only Eastern-flavored song on the album, but after the madness of Lucy (which also has some exotic instrumentation) it might not come off so jarring. I also think Penny Lane just has such a great hook right off the bat, it's a natural to open side two where you want to draw the listener in again after flipping the record, so to speak.

Here's my first go at a track listing:

Side One
1. Sgt. Pepper's
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite
4. Getting Better
5. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
6. Within You Without You
7. Fixing A Hole
8. It's Only A Northern Song

Side Two
9. Penny Lane
10. Strawberry Fields Forever
11. She's Leaving Home
12. When I'm Sixty-Four
13. Lovely Rita
14. Good Morning
15. Sgt. Pepper's (reprise)
16. A Day in the Life
Old 09-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #126
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
It's worth a purchase, esp. if you can get it used. The booklet has a lot of info and is nicely done. Vol.2 is great as well, for obvious reasons, as it covers the Rubber Soul/Revolver/Pepper's/MMT period.
It's going for about 15 on Amazon. I'll chalk that down with the Christmas batch. I'd love to dive into the Volume 2 as well. Depends on price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
That Anthology version of "White My Guitar Gently Weeps" is awesome, but the LOVE version is the most essential of any.
Definitely.

Quote:
This Pepper's thing is rather difficult. My first thought is that you can see the songs about the mundanity of modern living seem to be mostly on side two, with the trio of When I'm Sixty Four, Lovely Rita, and Good Morning, and it can also be argued that A Day in the Life is the culminating apocalypse of that study. The more abstract material is on side one, with the exception of She's Leaving Home.

Personally, I never liked the transition of She's Leaving Home into Mr. Kite, the most "realistic" song into the most nonsensical. Plus the former is a bit of a downer, and might be better served by being pushed further into the album where people are a bit more hooked in. In the original track order it closed out side one, coming after Getting Better which probably worked better than what they have now. I think it would be a great segue into When I'm Sixty Four, because both are really about the divide between youth and adulthood.

What I like about the original, pre-release placement of Mr. Kite (coming after With A Little Help) was that it was in keeping with the performance concept of the album. It's painful to think of moving Lucy out of the three spot, but it might work better elsewhere.

I'm also not sure about Within You Without You as an opener for side two (and we should be thinking in terms of sides, considering when the album came out). It's going to sound out of place anywhere because it's the only Eastern-flavored song on the album, but after the madness of Lucy (which also has some exotic instrumentation) it might not come off so jarring. I also think Penny Lane just has such a great hook right off the bat, it's a natural to open side two where you want to draw the listener in again after flipping the record, so to speak.

Here's my first go at a track listing:

Side One
1. Sgt. Pepper's
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite
4. Getting Better
5. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
6. Within You Without You
7. Fixing A Hole
8. It's Only A Northern Song

Side Two
9. Penny Lane
10. Strawberry Fields Forever
11. She's Leaving Home
12. When I'm Sixty-Four
13. Lovely Rita
14. Good Morning
15. Sgt. Pepper's (reprise)
16. A Day in the Life
I'll have to try that out, sounds like a good contextualized mix as well. I was working with those 3 songs earlier than just decided to dump all of the MMT tracks in there, even if they weren't recorded at the same time. It's organized more by sound than anything else, so the concept may be a little murky but I still think it works. The mix actually runs the length of a full disc and around the same time as The White Album:

Side One
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
2. With a Little Help from My Friends
3. Magical Mystery Tour
4. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
5. Hello, Goodbye
6. Getting Better

Side Two
7. Penny Lane
8. When I'm Sixty-Four
9. Lovely Rita
10. Your Mother Should Know
11. Fixing a Hole
12. She's Leaving Home

Side Three
13. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
14. Only a Northern Song
15. I Am the Walrus
16. Flying
17. Blue Jay Way
18. Strawberry Fields Forever
19. Within You, Without You

Side Four
20. All You Need Is Love
21. The Fool on the Hill
22. Good Morning Good Morning
23. Baby You're a Rich Man
24. Sgt. Pepper's (Reprise)
25. A Day in the Life
Old 09-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #127
Blue Crack Supplier

An interesting experiment. The only problem is that all of Side Two is Paul (with the exception of co-writing from John on She's Leaving Home), and all of Side Three is John and George (with the exception of the full band credit for Flying).

I mean, if you're going to do that and include Only a Northern Song, you may as well throw in the other Yellow Submarine songs, which include It's All Too Much (recorded right after Sgt. Pepper's and originally intended for MMT), All Together Now (recorded during the MMT sessions), Hey Bulldog (which was the last of the pre-White Album songs) and fits here sonically, and All You Need Is Love, also recorded in 1967.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #128
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
An interesting experiment. The only problem is that all of Side Two is Paul (with the exception of co-writing from John on She's Leaving Home), and all of Side Three is John and George (with the exception of the full band credit for Flying).

I mean, if you're going to do that and include Only a Northern Song, you may as well throw in the other Yellow Submarine songs, which include It's All Too Much (recorded right after Sgt. Pepper's and originally intended for MMT), All Together Now (recorded during the MMT sessions), Hey Bulldog (which was the last of the pre-White Album songs) and fits here sonically, and All You Need Is Love, also recorded in 1967.
I wasn't thinking about that, but they all fit together fairly well in their spots. If that's the case, I'll revisit some of those Yellow Submarine tracks.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #129
Blue Crack Supplier

Just tell me this didn't belong on the White Album. Tell me it wouldn't be one of the 5-10 best songs on there:

YouTube - The Beatles - Not Guilty
Old 09-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #130
Blue Crack Supplier

Has Harrison ever sounded dirtier than that? Forgive me for suggesting that it makes Clapton's bit on While My Guitar come off a little tame.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #131
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

George has a reason to be angry if this didn't make the album over "Savoy Truffle." Because lame songs about food are only good if they come in threes.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #132
ONE
love, blood, life

I thought "Not Guilty" being great was fairly common knowledge?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #133
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:25 PM
I'm so unfamiliar with Beatles non-album tracks that I can't keep up with this discussion. But it's enjoyable to read, anyway.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #134
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
I thought "Not Guilty" being great was fairly common knowledge?
A lot of people don't have the Anthology albums. They came out almost 15 years ago, dude.

Also, Lennon's missing track from The White Album was worthy of inclusion as well. How Revolution 9 got in but this didn't is rather strange, but maybe two fucked up songs was just too much for Macca.

YouTube - The Beatles "What's The New Mary Jane?" (Rare, unreleased)
Old 09-14-2009, 01:15 AM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
A lot of people don't have the Anthology albums. They came out almost 15 years ago, dude.
You've got a point there. Are the first and second installments of Anthology worth the trouble? Three is the only one I've got.

Tags
beatles