The Beatles Remastered - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In going through Let It Be, there's really not too much to change if you go by the Let It Be...Naked blueprint, which has a stronger running order. The remixes sound superior to the remaster, in my opinion, but a few of them aren't as good for other reasons - the single version of Get Back has the false ending, the solo on the single version of Let It Be is better, and the vocals on the original Don't Let Me Down and I've Got A Feeling are stronger.

Also, one of the complaints with Naked was the removal of some of the studio banter and the short snippets, and I'd agree with that - this was supposed to be capturing the band live in the studio, so to speak. The ending result came across a bit too sterile and cold; it was made too clean.

So I tried to come up with the best of both worlds:

386369.jpg

Get Back (with Don't Let Me Down and 9 11 other songs)

Side One
1. Get Back (Single Version with false start; put Lennon's "I Dig A Pygmy" intro before it)
2. Dig A Pony (Naked Version, but include false start from original)
3. For You Blue (Naked Version, but include studio chatter at beginning from original)
4. Two Of Us (Naked Version)
5. Dig It
6. Let It Be (Single Version)
7. Maggie May

Side Two
8. I've Got A Feeling (Original Version)
9. One After 909 (Naked Version)
10. Don't Let Me Down (Single Version)
11. I Me Mine (Naked Version)
12. Across The Universe (Naked Version)
13. The Long And Winding Road (Naked Version)

The only thing I don't have on here is the ending from the album version of Get Back, which I love, but I don't see how I can include it here, unless I just put it on at the end and call it Get Back (Reprise) or something.

EDIT - I also skipped Teddy Boy because it didn't sound good anywhere I put it, and I'm not a big fan of it anyway.

Yeah, the only reason Good Night isn't the closer in my running order is because I wanted to include Hey Jude in it, and I just can't see anything in that batch of songs that could adequately follow Hey Jude - it's just too epic. After 4 minutes of 'na na na na na na na, na na na na, hey jude', the only thing I could put after was the mindfuck of Revolution 9. I viewed Hey Jude/Revolution 9 as sort of an encore after Good Night, but even then, I was considering switching the placement of Hey Jude and Good Night. I was torn.

Yeah, the only reason Good Night isn't the closer in my running order is because I wanted to include Hey Jude in it, and I just can't see anything in that batch of songs that could adequately follow Hey Jude - it's just too epic. After 4 minutes of 'na na na na na na na, na na na na, hey jude', the only thing I could put after was the mindfuck of Revolution 9. I viewed Hey Jude/Revolution 9 as sort of an encore after Good Night, but even then, I was considering switching the placement of Hey Jude and Good Night. I was torn.

Couldn't you do "Hey Jude" back-to-back with "Revolution 9," then put "Good Night" at the end? It maintains the continuity of the original tracklist, makes logical sense, and isn't wrong.

I thought the same thing. It's not that particularly jarring, either.

In going through Let It Be, there's really not too much to change if you go by the Let It Be...Naked blueprint, which has a stronger running order. The remixes sound superior to the remaster, in my opinion, but a few of them aren't as good for other reasons - the single version of Get Back has the false ending, the solo on the single version of Let It Be is better, and the vocals on the original Don't Let Me Down and I've Got A Feeling are stronger.

Also, one of the complaints with Naked was the removal of some of the studio banter and the short snippets, and I'd agree with that - this was supposed to be capturing the band live in the studio, so to speak. The ending result came across a bit too sterile and cold; it was made too clean.

So I tried to come up with the best of both worlds:

386369.jpg

Get Back (with Don't Let Me Down and 9 11 other songs)

Side One
1. Get Back (Single Version with false start; put Lennon's "I Dig A Pygmy" intro before it)
2. Dig A Pony (Naked Version, but include false start from original)
3. For You Blue (Naked Version, but include studio chatter at beginning from original)
4. Two Of Us (Naked Version)
5. Dig It
6. Let It Be (Single Version)
7. Maggie May

Side Two
8. I've Got A Feeling (Original Version)
9. One After 909 (Naked Version)
10. Don't Let Me Down (Single Version)
11. I Me Mine (Naked Version)
12. Across The Universe (Naked Version)
13. The Long And Winding Road (Naked Version)

The only thing I don't have on here is the ending from the album version of Get Back, which I love, but I don't see how I can include it here, unless I just put it on at the end and call it Get Back (Reprise) or something.

EDIT - I also skipped Teddy Boy because it didn't sound good anywhere I put it, and I'm not a big fan of it anyway.

Not bad, but I think Two Of Us is a perfect opener. It's also ironic that the album that pretty much ended the band features the two frontmen harmonizing on the lead vocal, but it's nice to hear them together here, and sets a more positive tone for the album. I wouldn't want to mess with that at all.

I do like the idea of ending with The Long and Winding Road, though.

I think it's also fair to include Old Brown Shoe (way better than For You Blue) and the Ballad of John and Yoko, both started before Abbey Road was under way, and in keeping with the old-school style of the Get Back sessions.

Also, I know it's not on Anthology Vol.3, but isn't there a longer version of Dig It somewhere? That would be nice to have.

I wish I'd grown up hearing more of this music. That way I'd probably be much, much more familiar with the songs immediately without having to think of how some of them that you all mention go. Songs like It's All Too Much, Old Brown Shoe, etc.

Same version as LOVE. It's the definitive one, as far as I'm concerned. Laz talks about how obnoxious the Moog is in "Here Comes the Sun," but it's far worse in the Abbey Road cut of "Because."

Yeah, I am reading the wikipedia entry for it now, wondering why I decided not to check this out in the first place.

I do remember the press for this, they (Paul, Ringo, maybe even Yoko and George's wife) were on Larry King.

And I think I've heard part of Tomorrow Never Knows vs Within You, Without You

I just want to say a few things, none of them meant to be standoffish/look-at-me-ish, all of them entirely genuine, and all of them informed by the fact that I formed these opinions on my own, in my bedroom, in a vacuum, as a child.

1) My favorite/the best song on Sgt. Pepper's is clearly "Lovely Rita." Oh, how I adore it.

2) I do not HATE "Wild Honey Pie." I just think that it's a weaker track on the album.

3) I actively love "Honey Pie."

Yes, yes and mmm....yeah. Lovely Rita is constantly vying with ADITL for my favourite of Pepper. Wild Honey Pie is too short to hate, it's only 50-odd secs long, for this reason it can't be anything but a weak "song" and probably should be treated as a fragment. I don't love Honey Pie, but certainly don't dislike it.

I can't imagine Savoy Truffle missing from the White album, oh how it has grown on me over time.

Same version as LOVE. It's the definitive one, as far as I'm concerned. Laz talks about how obnoxious the Moog is in "Here Comes the Sun," but it's far worse in the Abbey Road cut of "Because."

I'm not going to argue with that.

Yes, yes and mmm....yeah. Lovely Rita is constantly vying with ADITL for my favourite of Pepper.

See what kind of company you've put yourself in, Shouter?

the other day i thought i liked rita quite a bit for the first 20 seconds of the song, then we got past the intro and i remembered why i've never been a huge fan of that song. it's just not very good.

wild honey pie can be hated. in fact, it should be hated. but then again, i like honey pie. well, up until that ridiculous breakdown where paul starts talking outloud to himself about liking "this kinda hot kinda music" in that irritating falsetto thing. edit that out of there, and i'm such a sucker for that song.

i can't start remaking tracklistings, my brain will explode in more ways than it would if i tried to make favorite lists.

Not bad, but I think Two Of Us is a perfect opener. It's also ironic that the album that pretty much ended the band features the two frontmen harmonizing on the lead vocal, but it's nice to hear them together here, and sets a more positive tone for the album. I wouldn't want to mess with that at all.

I do like the idea of ending with The Long and Winding Road, though.

I think it's also fair to include Old Brown Shoe (way better than For You Blue) and the Ballad of John and Yoko, both started before Abbey Road was under way, and in keeping with the old-school style of the Get Back sessions.

Also, I know it's not on Anthology Vol.3, but isn't there a longer version of Dig It somewhere? That would be nice to have.

I considered The Ballad Of John And Yoko and Old Brown Shoe, but in the end I stayed true to the thought process of using only songs that were featured in the film.

There is a longer version of Dig It out there on the bootlegs for the Get Back sessions. It's actually pretty cool, but due to time constraints I stayed with the original snippet.

the other day i thought i liked rita quite a bit for the first 20 seconds of the song, then we got past the intro and i remembered why i've never been a huge fan of that song. it's just not very good.

wild honey pie can be hated. in fact, it should be hated. but then again, i like honey pie. well, up until that ridiculous breakdown where paul starts talking outloud to himself about liking "this kinda hot kinda music" in that irritating falsetto thing. edit that out of there, and i'm such a sucker for that song.

Yes on both of those things. When I heard Honey Pie again for the first time in a while, it got to that part and I must have burned it out of my memory before because I was shocked and appalled all over again. Damn, I was accusing You Never You Give Me Your Money of having a minstrel/Al Jolson vibe, but Honey Pie takes the cake. It's beyond obnoxious.

I don't understand why people even consider Wild Honey Pie, as if it were meant to be anything other than a goof.

Saying Wild Honey Pie is terrible is a bit like saying John's ""'I Dig a Pygmy', by Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf Aids! Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!"...is a bad intro.

Maybe people don't think it's funny but it's certainly not something that should be considered as anything resembling songcraft.

Now, 'Honey Pie'...yikes, that's just a turd.
Classic horrid Macca.

Because it's actually painful to listen to, whereas most goofs are merely just throw-away.

I kind of get the point, though. Is it unnecessary? Yes. It it grating? Sure. But it's also over in less than a minute.

Also:

Wild Honey Pie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So not only is the whole thing all Macca's doing, but apparently Patti Boyd/Harrison/Clapton/whatever wasn't just a two-timing skank, she also had bad taste in music. And Yoko was supposedly the villain on this album?

James smartly opts to work around the more obvious choices in the Harrison catalog; there's "My Sweet Lord", yeah, but there's no "Here Comes the Sun", "While My Guitar Gently Sleeps", or, mercifully, "Got My Mind Set on You".

Attawaytogo, Pitchfork.

Have to say, after a few thorough listens through, I have to say a few things:

I was always a John man first and foremost. I have a newfound appreciation for Ringo's drumming. I always loved George, and the remasters reaffirm it s well. Paul is slipping faster and faster.

I do love a number of Paul's songs, but can someone please investigate: was Paul's interviews in the Anthology DVD's the inspiration for David Brent? The not-so-subtle bigging up, the ridiculous scenery (Harrison and Starr in their back gardens, McCartney in the woods stoking a fire, or driving a fucking boat in circles). Or always quietly dropping a weak John example into everyone of his points making thinly veiled attempts to prove he isn't biased.

I find the remastered versions have made me hate Paul's granny-tunes even more. The two I dearly love (Your Mother Should Know and Ob-La-Di are still up there) but I cant cope with the rest.

Anyway, I love havng these discs to reignite and drive home John's genius.

(Harrison and Starr in their back gardens, McCartney in the woods stoking a fire, or driving a fucking boat in circles)..

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the scenery in the Anthology documentary to be quite staggeringly strange.

Lennon was the man, but you cant say McCartney was rubbish
He has some belters too like Yesterday, Back in the USSR, Helter Skelter, Fool on the Hill and tons more

^ it's ridiculous!!

My fiance always loved Paul, I used to tease her about it and she never understood why. She watched the anthology through for the first time over the last few days and by the end she is saying things like 'fucking paul, I fucking hate him! Why did he get all the A-sides???' We were pissing ourselves every time he changed scenery: now hes ON A BOAT MUTHAFUKA!!!!

If it wasn't 'paul mccartney' I would have pitied the poor guy going to desperate lengths to prove to the world he is popular and successful... wait a minute...

I do love a number of Paul's songs

Lennon was the man, but you cant say McCartney was rubbish
He has some belters too like Yesterday, Back in the USSR, Helter Skelter, Fool on the Hill and tons more

Yeah I know. Still, in 39-40 years since the breakup, has Paul finally written as many decent songs as a solo artist as John did in 10 (and what 4 or 5 as an active musician). Evn give him Yesterday to start him off.

My overwhelming impression has become that until they started writing separately they both hit gold together countless times. Apart, John has a much greater strike rate. Even when the partnership was waning, John was writing gold like Glass Onion, and Paul was writing Martha My Dear.... It seems John can work quite easily without Paul and Paul struggles without John, but occasionally gets lucky

While they both had a couple of solo classics, neither one lived up to what they did beforehand. They were always better together.

And if John had lived, I have no doubt his "strike rate" in the 80's would have been just as bad. One listen to Woman is all I need to know this. It's as sappy as McCartney's My Love.

While they both had a couple of solo classics, neither one lived up to what they did beforehand. They were always better together.

And if John had lived, I have no doubt his "strike rate" in the 80's would have been just as bad. One listen to Woman is all I need to know this. It's as sappy as McCartney's My Love.

I defy anyone to make a mccartney solo list with as many classics as

imagine
instant karma
cold turkey
happy xmas
watching the wheels
starting over
jealous guy
beautiful boy
give peace a chance
working class hero
mind games
power to the people
stand by me (not written by, but recorded the difinitive version)

Mccartneys solo list may be impressive, but the only song he as that matches them for quality is band on the run.

Each to their own I suppose, but I think it is hard to argue with Johns record

Back
Top Bottom