The Beatles Remastered - Part II - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Not aimed at anybody in particular, this. Just kind of a general reaction to 20+ years of hearing, "Yeah, but McCartney was shit." The conversation has me thinking about all of this.

I will never understand any hate for McCartney, re: his work with The Beatles. Never. A few bad songs? Of course, given that he suffers from being human, even if only just. What a sin. They all wrote bad songs. He's not my "favorite" Beatle, his post-Beatles output is pretty shit (just like the vast majority of everybody else's), he could be childish, but he did kind of write a spectacularly high percentage of the greatest songs of the last 150 years. I choose to focus on that last part, rather than "Wild Honey Pie."
I don't hate McCartney, and I imagine the impression I've given is that I cringe or fast-forward every time one of his songs come on. That's not the case. I enjoy a majority of what he's done. But there's something about his personality that rubs me the wrong way, and it's hard to completely disregard it. Lennon was a nutjob and could be a complete asshole, of course, but I just watched Let It Be with some friends, and everyone just wanted to sock Paul in the jaw. A lot of the time he's bossing the other band members around, trying to be the captain of the ship (and perhaps someone had to do this, but still), and then when he's trying to be funny, it often comes off (here we go again) forced and awkward. There's something about the way he looks into the camera every time one of his songs are being filmed...it's hard to put a finger on it. But he comes off a little smug.

As for the music itself, yeah, tons of great stuff. But to me he made some wonky or redundant choices that are frustrating to hear. I disagree with the notion that all of them wrote bad songs, especially if you disregard some of the primitive, earlier material. From Rubber Soul onward, the only Lennon song I can think of that's doesn't do it for me is Good Morning Good Morning (and luckily it's part of an album where the whole is better than the sum of the parts). Whereas with Macca, I could totally live without Magical Mystery Tour, Your Mother Should Know, Honey Pie, Wild Honey Pie, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, and Lovely Rita. That's not a long list, but it doesn't include a handful of his songs that I mostly enjoy but have questionable elements, and this also happens to be one of my favorite bands, with many albums that are among my all-time favorites.

Let's also not forget that the whole Let It Be/Get Back project was Paul's idea, and it pretty much destroyed the band. He was also the one behind the Magical Mystery Tour film, which tried to drag the Pepper's concept out a bit too far, and wound up being the band's first unequivocal failure.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Interesting. So apparently the error was discovered during the printing of the initial run. I'd be curious to know how many got done that way before it was corrected.

Actually, nevermind. I misunderstood what you'd said before and only looked at the digipack track list. On the actual disc, mine says Let It Be Mini Documentary as well.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

At least it's on the disc, where I'll probably never look again.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:29 AM
but you'll know it's there... taunting you...
Old 09-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
but you'll know it's there... taunting you...
Like Lance's Mom that one time he couldn't get it up and accidentally called her Ronald?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:29 AM
This Ronald?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:29 AM
that picture never stops being disturbing...
Old 09-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
This Ronald?

That is neither here nor there. Unprovable. We all have our own distinct suspicions regarding The Event, though.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

What's taunting is the idea of that becoming my avatar.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Please don't.

My Beatles boxed set arrived today; cannot wait to open that mofo.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
cannot wait to open that mofo.
Sounds like you're about to dole out some JUSTICE of your own.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Sounds like you're about to dole out some JUSTICE of your own.
Indeed.

Everyone at work is just looking at it, wishing they bought it.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I don't hate McCartney, and I imagine the impression I've given is that I cringe or fast-forward every time one of his songs come on. That's not the case. I enjoy a majority of what he's done. But there's something about his personality that rubs me the wrong way, and it's hard to completely disregard it. Lennon was a nutjob and could be a complete asshole, of course, but I just watched Let It Be with some friends, and everyone just wanted to sock Paul in the jaw. A lot of the time he's bossing the other band members around, trying to be the captain of the ship (and perhaps someone had to do this, but still), and then when he's trying to be funny, it often comes off (here we go again) forced and awkward. There's something about the way he looks into the camera every time one of his songs are being filmed...it's hard to put a finger on it. But he comes off a little smug.

As for the music itself, yeah, tons of great stuff. But to me he made some wonky or redundant choices that are frustrating to hear. I disagree with the notion that all of them wrote bad songs, especially if you disregard some of the primitive, earlier material. From Rubber Soul onward, the only Lennon song I can think of that's doesn't do it for me is Good Morning Good Morning (and luckily it's part of an album where the whole is better than the sum of the parts). Whereas with Macca, I could totally live without Magical Mystery Tour, Your Mother Should Know, Honey Pie, Wild Honey Pie, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, and Lovely Rita. That's not a long list, but it doesn't include a handful of his songs that I mostly enjoy but have questionable elements, and this also happens to be one of my favorite bands, with many albums that are among my all-time favorites.

Let's also not forget that the whole Let It Be/Get Back project was Paul's idea, and it pretty much destroyed the band. He was also the one behind the Magical Mystery Tour film, which tried to drag the Pepper's concept out a bit too far, and wound up being the band's first unequivocal failure.
Thanks for at least trying to clarify things. Yeah, you do sort of come off as being virulently against Macca, for whatever it's worth. This mitigates things a bit.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Everyone at work is just looking at it
They're not laughing at you again, are they?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
They're not laughing at you again, are they?
I didn't say "Jag-you-are", so, no.

Tags
beatles