The Beatles Remastered - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not aimed at anybody in particular, this. Just kind of a general reaction to 20+ years of hearing, "Yeah, but McCartney was shit." The conversation has me thinking about all of this.

I will never understand any hate for McCartney, re: his work with The Beatles. Never. A few bad songs? Of course, given that he suffers from being human, even if only just. What a sin. They all wrote bad songs. He's not my "favorite" Beatle, his post-Beatles output is pretty shit (just like the vast majority of everybody else's), he could be childish, but he did kind of write a spectacularly high percentage of the greatest songs of the last 150 years. I choose to focus on that last part, rather than "Wild Honey Pie."

I don't hate McCartney, and I imagine the impression I've given is that I cringe or fast-forward every time one of his songs come on. That's not the case. I enjoy a majority of what he's done. But there's something about his personality that rubs me the wrong way, and it's hard to completely disregard it. Lennon was a nutjob and could be a complete asshole, of course, but I just watched Let It Be with some friends, and everyone just wanted to sock Paul in the jaw. A lot of the time he's bossing the other band members around, trying to be the captain of the ship (and perhaps someone had to do this, but still), and then when he's trying to be funny, it often comes off (here we go again) forced and awkward. There's something about the way he looks into the camera every time one of his songs are being filmed...it's hard to put a finger on it. But he comes off a little smug.

As for the music itself, yeah, tons of great stuff. But to me he made some wonky or redundant choices that are frustrating to hear. I disagree with the notion that all of them wrote bad songs, especially if you disregard some of the primitive, earlier material. From Rubber Soul onward, the only Lennon song I can think of that's doesn't do it for me is Good Morning Good Morning (and luckily it's part of an album where the whole is better than the sum of the parts). Whereas with Macca, I could totally live without Magical Mystery Tour, Your Mother Should Know, Honey Pie, Wild Honey Pie, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, and Lovely Rita. That's not a long list, but it doesn't include a handful of his songs that I mostly enjoy but have questionable elements, and this also happens to be one of my favorite bands, with many albums that are among my all-time favorites.

Let's also not forget that the whole Let It Be/Get Back project was Paul's idea, and it pretty much destroyed the band. He was also the one behind the Magical Mystery Tour film, which tried to drag the Pepper's concept out a bit too far, and wound up being the band's first unequivocal failure.

Interesting. So apparently the error was discovered during the printing of the initial run. I'd be curious to know how many got done that way before it was corrected.

Actually, nevermind. I misunderstood what you'd said before and only looked at the digipack track list. On the actual disc, mine says Let It Be Mini Documentary as well.

This Ronald?

0616_jackson.jpg

I don't hate McCartney, and I imagine the impression I've given is that I cringe or fast-forward every time one of his songs come on. That's not the case. I enjoy a majority of what he's done. But there's something about his personality that rubs me the wrong way, and it's hard to completely disregard it. Lennon was a nutjob and could be a complete asshole, of course, but I just watched Let It Be with some friends, and everyone just wanted to sock Paul in the jaw. A lot of the time he's bossing the other band members around, trying to be the captain of the ship (and perhaps someone had to do this, but still), and then when he's trying to be funny, it often comes off (here we go again) forced and awkward. There's something about the way he looks into the camera every time one of his songs are being filmed...it's hard to put a finger on it. But he comes off a little smug.

As for the music itself, yeah, tons of great stuff. But to me he made some wonky or redundant choices that are frustrating to hear. I disagree with the notion that all of them wrote bad songs, especially if you disregard some of the primitive, earlier material. From Rubber Soul onward, the only Lennon song I can think of that's doesn't do it for me is Good Morning Good Morning (and luckily it's part of an album where the whole is better than the sum of the parts). Whereas with Macca, I could totally live without Magical Mystery Tour, Your Mother Should Know, Honey Pie, Wild Honey Pie, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, and Lovely Rita. That's not a long list, but it doesn't include a handful of his songs that I mostly enjoy but have questionable elements, and this also happens to be one of my favorite bands, with many albums that are among my all-time favorites.

Let's also not forget that the whole Let It Be/Get Back project was Paul's idea, and it pretty much destroyed the band. He was also the one behind the Magical Mystery Tour film, which tried to drag the Pepper's concept out a bit too far, and wound up being the band's first unequivocal failure.

Thanks for at least trying to clarify things. Yeah, you do sort of come off as being virulently against Macca, for whatever it's worth. This mitigates things a bit.

I'm just as G-d made me.

Really, though, only YLB and myself do it with any regularity.

That article on Peter Falk's favorite restaurant in San Fransisco really turned some heads around.

Just booked my three comped nights at the Mirage in January. LOVE, here I come for a third time.

Is this worth getting ? The only remastered album I ever heard was Joshua Tree.

Here's a top 10 I tried to assemble, less Paul than I thought given I usually prefer his songs on the albums -

Norwegian wood
In my life
Penny lane/Strawberry fields forever
Julia
Hey Jude
Don't let me down
Across the universe
A day in the life
Because
The long and winding road

Honourable mention Here comes the sun.

Back