The Beatles Remastered - Part II - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #316
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Clearly we need to do overhauls on ALL the albums, because singles and b-sides were just arbitrarily pulled from their sessions. It's amazing that these albums still wound up being some of the greatest ever, even with these unkind cuts.

Revolver could only benefit from having Rain and Paperback Writer included, and I think it's fair to say that Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out would easily be two of the best songs on Rubber Soul.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #317
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Speaking of the redux albums, could someone send one of the long versions of "Dig It" my way please?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #318
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:41 AM
I haven't done any research and was still young when the early albums came out, but I think up until Sergeant Pepper, it was mostly about the singles and radio airplay (which is why I consider Sgt. Pepper the most important album in rock history, it changed everything. The concept of the album as a complete work, while ushering in psychedelia at the same time. Even if it isn't a completely solid album song-wise).

I don't know how much thought was put into the albums previous to Pepper, but as Laz pointed out, singles left off were probably as good as the best that were on Revolver and Rubber Soul, for example. My guess is that they were still sorta slapped together haphazardly, though maybe not to the extent of the earliest releases.

I liked watching the reworking of the later albums you guys did here, interesting stuff.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #319
Blue Crack Supplier

Would it be blasphemous to open up a re-worked Rubber Soul with Day Tripper? Because I don't know if there are better track 1 candidates than that one. I love popping in Past Masters vol. 2 and hearing that blaring out of the speakers.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #320
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Would it be blasphemous to open up a re-worked Rubber Soul with Day Tripper? Because I don't know if there are better track 1 candidates than that one. I love popping in Past Masters vol. 2 and hearing that blaring out of the speakers.

Sounds like a viable substitution. Day Tripper is much better than Drive My Car in my reckoning and would be a great opener and lead into Norweigan Wood spectacularly.

I deem it unblasphemous, but to make such a substitution would also raise the issue as to whether We Can Work It Out could find a place on the album, a song I adore very much. Would one be able to sacrifice You Won't See Me or What Goes On for We Can Work It Out? Others (not me) may find Wait, The Word or Girl expendable.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
I think you have to try to throw blasphemy out of the equation in these situations to really get creative.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #322
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
Sounds like a viable substitution. Day Tripper is much better than Drive My Car in my reckoning and would be a great opener and lead into Norweigan Wood spectacularly.

I deem it unblasphemous, but to make such a substitution would also raise the issue as to whether We Can Work It Out could find a place on the album, a song I adore very much. Would one be able to sacrifice You Won't See Me or What Goes On for We Can Work It Out? Others (not me) may find Wait, The Word or Girl expendable.
I don't think there's anything on the album that needs to be dropped for these songs. The albums are so short another 5 minutes isn't going to make much of a difference.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:17 AM   #323
Refugee

Local Time: 05:41 PM
I agree, Day Tripper smokes Drive My Car. DMC is the only part about Rubber Soul I actively dislike. I hate it. It keeps it from being perfect in my eyes. I start my Rubber Soul sessions with Norwegian Wood.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #324
Blue Crack Addict

That's why I like inserting I've Just Seen A Face at the start. I don't like Drive My Car there.

But Day Tripper into Drive My Car would be fantastic.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #325
Blue Crack Supplier

The easiest thing to do with Paperback Writer would probably be to just slot it at the top of Side Two. Probably works better there than What Goes On.

Of course, looking at the official order, it's far from perfect, and could probably use even more of an overhaul.

I do like Run For Your Life as the closer.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #326
Blue Crack Addict

We Can Work It Out sounds pretty good before Norwegian Wood.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #327
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
The easiest thing to do with Paperback Writer would probably be to just slot it at the top of Side Two. Probably works better there than What Goes On.
Wouldn't Paperback Writer go on Revolver?
Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #328
Blue Crack Supplier

Ahh, right. Sorry.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #329
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:41 PM
This is going to be an unpopular opinion...

As much as I love most of the actual albums and will never stop listening to them, I think I find LOVE a more fun listen than any of them.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #330
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:41 AM
I popped Love into the CD player today and it's fucking fantastic, but I see it more as a novelty than anything else. I'm surprised "Tomorrow Never Knows / Within You, Without You" found a spot on Rock Band.

Tags
beatles