The Beatles Remastered - Part II - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #301
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Listened to the remaster of Revolver today finally, still have no idea why it's loved so much of all their albums it's probably in my bottom three with Beatles for Sale and Yellow Submarine (if that even counts). I mean I love Eleanor Rigby and Tomorrow Never Knows, I even rate And Your Bird Can Sing pretty highly too but for the most part I find the album terribly boring.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:52 PM
Blasphemer.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #303
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:52 AM
Overrated? I'll agree with that, if conditionally. But terribly boring? I'm not at all sure about that, good sir or madam.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #304
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Blasphemer.
YouTube - : 4y-Records : Low On The High End Since 1985.

Are you the Beatles version of this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Overrated? I'll agree with that, if conditionally. But terribly boring? I'm not at all sure about that, good sir or madam.
I guess Revolver just never really clicked with me at all, for all the times I've heard it it's still left no impression on me. I mean I couldn't tell you what several of the tracks even sound like. I mean I realise it's awesome that the Beatles started to experiment with their sound and come up with no ideas but I just don't enjoy what they did on this album. Songs like Love You To to me are just completely uninteresting, I mean it's cool and all that Harrison was playing a sitar but I don't think it's used to any real effect it gets slightly more interesting towards the end though.

The album features some of the finest moments of the Beatles career but at the same time to me it features some of the their least interesting moments as well. I appreciate the experimentation but I just don't think the songs are all that great

Keep in mind this is just an opinion, it's definitely not fact and I know I'm in a very small minority with it
Old 09-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #305
Blue Crack Addict

Well, it's no Rubber Soul. I'll give you that.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #306
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Revolver ranks in the middle for me. Abbey Road, The White Album, and Magical Mystery Tour all rank higher. Of course, I can't really compare the earlier stuff with the later stuff due to how much different it is. I've grown to really appreciate and love the early stuff lately.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #307
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:52 AM
But it's got I'm Only Sleeeeeeping .....love the lethargy of that song, works so well with the Lyrics, and they do some of that reverse stuff as well.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #308
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I once found Revolver not terribly inspiring, but now think it to be one of their top three albums. I would also have to agree with Pitchfork that Lennon really comes into his own on the album: She Said She Said, I'm Only Sleeping, and of course Tomorrow Never Knows are all among his best work.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #309
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

How can "She Said She Said," "I'm Only Sleeping," "Taxman," "Eleanor Rigby," and "Tomorrow Never Knows" be considered boring? I can understand not digging the experimentation, but this album is a perfect case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, at least for me. Even if certain songs don't particularly work, like "Love You To," it's still interesting to say the least. There's too much brimming under the surface of this album to dismiss it entirely; the cultural significance only adds to it, I think.

Also, Revolver is the best album LSD ever made. Fact.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #310
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
but this album is a perfect case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, at least for me.
Actually, the rise of Revolver's status the last ten years or so is because of exactly the OPPOSITE of this. Sgt. Pepper's was always considered the better "album" but song-for-song many felt Revolver was stronger, same with Rubber Soul.

Of course, yeah, the idea that this album is boring is ludicrous.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #311
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Actually, the rise of Revolver's status the last ten years or so is because of exactly the OPPOSITE of this. Sgt. Pepper's was always considered the better "album" but song-for-song many felt Revolver was stronger, same with Rubber Soul.

Of course, yeah, the idea that this album is boring is ludicrous.
I can see that, more with Rubber Soul than the other three. I'd consider Revolver to be stronger song-by-song, too, but half of the album I'd listen to constantly (ie: the songs I listed above) and the other half I'd listen to in context of the album. When I apply the same thing to Sgt. Pepper, the ratio drops considerably, but it's still awesome.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #312
Blue Crack Addict

Sgt. Pepper is quite the anomaly in that regard. I hardly ever listen to that album any more, as none of the songs particular grab me as much as those from other Beatles catalog cuts. Yet whenever I do it has to be in its entirety because its strengths are wholly built around the conceptualization of the "album" in this case. Certainly moreso than any of their other projects at least.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #313
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
How can "She Said She Said," "I'm Only Sleeping," "Taxman," "Eleanor Rigby," and "Tomorrow Never Knows" be considered boring? I can understand not digging the experimentation, but this album is a perfect case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, at least for me. Even if certain songs don't particularly work, like "Love You To," it's still interesting to say the least. There's too much brimming under the surface of this album to dismiss it entirely; the cultural significance only adds to it, I think.

Also, Revolver is the best album LSD ever made. Fact.
Here, There and Everywhere and For No One are two of my favourite songs off this album, both tend to be overlooked as well..
Old 09-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #314
Blue Meth Addict

I wanted to say that the stereo mix of 'All My Loving' sounds pretty different from what I am used to. That is all.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #315
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Here, There and Everywhere and For No One are two of my favourite songs off this album, both tend to be overlooked as well..
I dig "For No One" a certain amount, too, but have never gotten into "Here, There, and Everywhere" for whatever reason. It always felt out-of-place for me, especially since something like "Rain" sits out as a B-side.

Tags
beatles