The Beatles Remastered - Part II - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:26 PM
I disagree. The entire Band On The Run album is a classic, along with RAM. The self-titled debut isn't far behind.

And it's quite easy putting together a list of classic McCartney songs.

Another Day
Every Night
Maybe I'm Amazed
That Would Be Something
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
Too Many People
Let Me Roll It
Band On The Run
Live And Let Die
Jet
Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
Listen To What The Man Said
Take It Away
Mull Of Kintyre

McCartney does indeed have more clunkers than Lennon; there's no doubting that. But if Lennon had lived, I'm sure he would have had a lot more, based on Double Fantasy and Milk And Honey alone.

But again, the point I was making was that neither one of their solo careers comes close to their time together.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #212
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I disagree. The entire Band On The Run album is a classic, along with RAM. The self-titled debut isn't far behind.

And it's quite easy putting together a list of classic McCartney songs.

Another Day
Every Night
Maybe I'm Amazed
That Would Be Something
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
Too Many People
Let Me Roll It
Band On The Run
Live And Let Die
Jet
Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
Listen To What The Man Said
Take It Away
Mull Of Kintyre

McCartney does indeed have more clunkers than Lennon; there's no doubting that. But if Lennon had lived, I'm sure he would have had a lot more, based on Double Fantasy and Milk And Honey alone.

But again, the point I was making was that neither one of their solo careers comes close to their time together.
I agree, and you've gotta put "Let 'Em In" up there, which I think is one of McCartney's finest post-Beatles tracks besides "Every Night." "Uncle Albert" is a track I used to love as a kid, but now, really the only part I can take away from it is the chorus.

Yeah, most definitely.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #213
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, that was off the top of my head. Let 'Em In is a good one.

And I agree with Uncle Albert; I love it for nostalgic reasons. That chorus is otherworldly though.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #214
Refugee

Local Time: 12:26 PM
i like Pipes of peace as well

Lennon's solo stuff was alright
Instant Karma is amazing
Old 09-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #215
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yeah, that was off the top of my head. Let 'Em In is a good one.

And I agree with Uncle Albert; I love it for nostalgic reasons. That chorus is otherworldly though.
I've always dug "Venus and Mars / Rock Show;" "Daytime Nighttime Suffering" is pretty underrated as well. Macca and Wings really hit a groove in the mid- to late-'70s, but his solo stuff goes back to some of the sugary pop that I've started to become a little averse to.

There's a really interesting article in my Pop Music textbook that talks about the solo Beatles careers that raised some interesting points about McCartney. Particularly how controlling he was of Wings and how self-conscious he was of his image, leading to him writing "Silly Love Songs" as a response to his criticisms. I didn't know he collaborated with Elvis Costello in the late '80s either.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #216
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
I don't understand why people even consider Wild Honey Pie, as if it were meant to be anything other than a goof.

Saying Wild Honey Pie is terrible is a bit like saying John's ""'I Dig a Pygmy', by Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf Aids! Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!"...is a bad intro.

Maybe people don't think it's funny but it's certainly not something that should be considered as anything resembling songcraft.

Now, 'Honey Pie'...yikes, that's just a turd.
Classic horrid Macca.

except that intro is just that--it's an intro. wild honey pie was given its own track demarkation, a start and a finish, as if it was an actual song.

or maybe it's just because i'm so used to hearing that intro as part of "two of us" and feel like it belongs there. it's great. it almost makes me forget all the personal shit that we've been discussing was going on with the band at the time. in fact, i think i must listen to it now.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #217
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:26 PM
I'm going to remaster someone's fucking face.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #218
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
"Uncle Albert" is a track I used to love as a kid, but now, really the only part I can take away from it is the chorus.
same here.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #219
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
except that intro is just that--it's an intro. wild honey pie was given its own track demarkation, a start and a finish, as if it was an actual song.

or maybe it's just because i'm so used to hearing that intro as part of "two of us" and feel like it belongs there. it's great. it almost makes me forget all the personal shit that we've been discussing was going on with the band at the time. in fact, i think i must listen to it now.
"Two of Us" could be one of the most bittersweet songs I've ever heard for that reason.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I've always dug "Venus and Mars / Rock Show;" "Daytime Nighttime Suffering" is pretty underrated as well. Macca and Wings really hit a groove in the mid- to late-'70s, but his solo stuff goes back to some of the sugary pop that I've started to become a little averse to.

There's a really interesting article in my Pop Music textbook that talks about the solo Beatles careers that raised some interesting points about McCartney. Particularly how controlling he was of Wings and how self-conscious he was of his image, leading to him writing "Silly Love Songs" as a response to his criticisms. I didn't know he collaborated with Elvis Costello in the late '80s either.
He may have hit a groove in the mid to late 70's in terms of churning out hits, but the albums they came from weren't that great. After Band On The Run, he really didn't have another good album until Tug Of War - just ignore the fact that Ebony And Ivory was on there.

His best stuff was the first two albums and Band On The Run. After that, some great individual songs from weak albums.

McCartney controlling and self-conscious? That would never happen...

The collaborations with Elvis Costello came on Flowers In The Dirt in 1989.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #221
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
"Two of Us" could be one of the most bittersweet songs I've ever heard for that reason.

yeah. and you know what really compounds that for me is the only version of let it be i own right now (blasphemous statements upahead) is some ghetto-dubbed mp3s from my mom's vinyl record. i couldn't take the record player with me when i moved, so i left the records back home.

heh, meant to type just "home", but the song was playing "back home" as i was typing.

so what i'm listening to is a grainy-sounding, poor-ish quality (except i swear "across the universe" sounds better this way). and i'll be listening to the rest of the album now, because i'm not just going to shut the ipod off and go back to watching tv. anyway, what i was trying to say is sound-wise it time-warps me back to listening to this album as a kid more than listening to any other beatles. and since i didn't get hardcore into that album til i was about 12, elements of reliving 12-year-old-me...well, there's the emotional stuff we were talking about at the thread split. ramblebabblerabmle.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #222
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
He may have hit a groove in the mid to late 70's in terms of churning out hits, but the albums they came from weren't that great. After Band On The Run, he really didn't have another fantastic album until Tug Of War - just ignore the fact that Ebony And Ivory was on there.

His best stuff was the first two albums and Band On The Run. After that, some great individual songs from weak albums.

Wild Life is a mess, and the middle of Band on the Run is pretty lame, I'm listening to it right now. I love McCartney though.

Interesting about Tug of War.

Yeah, it was just cool to read it in a textbook, which is more of a collection of editorials than anything else. Their chapter on the Beatles focuses on how they shaped the concept of a band and their pre-Sgt. Pepper work, which I'm less familiar with.

Is that album any good? Flaming Pie and Driving Rain are mixed bags, too, but I dug Chaos and Creation a fair amount when I first heard it.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #223
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
He may have hit a groove in the mid to late 70's in terms of churning out hits, but the albums they came from weren't that great. After Band On The Run, he really didn't have another good album until Tug Of War - just ignore the fact that Ebony And Ivory was on there.

i remember reading something about "silly love songs" to that affect...

didn't know about the collaboration with mr costello.

tug of war is good (minus the aforementioned pile o' crap)? the cover kind of scared me as a kid, so i always stayed away.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #224
Blue Crack Supplier

i loved flaming pie (minus last track), but haaaaaaated driving rain. not a huge fan of chaos & creation past the single. mccartney and his fucking singles...because that was what dragged me into that last album, and i ended up feeling pretty much the same way about the rest of the album as i had to the one before--bored.

you know what's awesome? run devil run. that was fun.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #225
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
yeah. and you know what really compounds that for me is the only version of let it be i own right now (blasphemous statements upahead) is some ghetto-dubbed mp3s from my mom's vinyl record. i couldn't take the record player with me when i moved, so i left the records back home.

heh, meant to type just "home", but the song was playing "back home" as i was typing.

so what i'm listening to is a grainy-sounding, poor-ish quality (except i swear "across the universe" sounds better this way). and i'll be listening to the rest of the album now, because i'm not just going to shut the ipod off and go back to watching tv. anyway, what i was trying to say is sound-wise it time-warps me back to listening to this album as a kid more than listening to any other beatles. and since i didn't get hardcore into that album til i was about 12, elements of reliving 12-year-old-me...well, there's the emotional stuff we were talking about at the thread split. ramblebabblerabmle.
I get what you're saying. Reading about these personal experience is pretty enlightening, coming from almost a different era in terms of how music is heard, consumed, etc... Not only that, but neither of my parents are as big into music as I am, or at least beyond what was popular when they were younger, so it's cool to finally hear these landmark albums at an older age. I do feel that I lose something from not being of the moment, I guess. I'm sure people feel the same way in some respects.

It just got me thinking about recent albums that would go into that Pantheon of Albums That Shaped Me, and the list is pretty barren. Yoshimi? Funeral? In Rainbows? Slim pickings, to be sure.

Tags
beatles