The Beatles Remastered - Part II - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #196
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
the other day i thought i liked rita quite a bit for the first 20 seconds of the song, then we got past the intro and i remembered why i've never been a huge fan of that song. it's just not very good.

wild honey pie can be hated. in fact, it should be hated. but then again, i like honey pie. well, up until that ridiculous breakdown where paul starts talking outloud to himself about liking "this kinda hot kinda music" in that irritating falsetto thing. edit that out of there, and i'm such a sucker for that song.
Yes on both of those things. When I heard Honey Pie again for the first time in a while, it got to that part and I must have burned it out of my memory before because I was shocked and appalled all over again. Damn, I was accusing You Never You Give Me Your Money of having a minstrel/Al Jolson vibe, but Honey Pie takes the cake. It's beyond obnoxious.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #197
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:42 PM
I don't understand why people even consider Wild Honey Pie, as if it were meant to be anything other than a goof.

Saying Wild Honey Pie is terrible is a bit like saying John's ""'I Dig a Pygmy', by Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf Aids! Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!"...is a bad intro.

Maybe people don't think it's funny but it's certainly not something that should be considered as anything resembling songcraft.

Now, 'Honey Pie'...yikes, that's just a turd.
Classic horrid Macca.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #198
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Because it's actually painful to listen to, whereas most goofs are merely just throw-away.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #199
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:42 PM
I kind of get the point, though. Is it unnecessary? Yes. It it grating? Sure. But it's also over in less than a minute.

Also:

Wild Honey Pie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So not only is the whole thing all Macca's doing, but apparently Patti Boyd/Harrison/Clapton/whatever wasn't just a two-timing skank, she also had bad taste in music. And Yoko was supposedly the villain on this album?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #200
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
I
Saying Wild Honey Pie is terrible is a bit like saying John's ""'I Dig a Pygmy', by Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf Aids! Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats!"...is a bad intro.

I love it, always have, always will.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #201
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Quote:
James smartly opts to work around the more obvious choices in the Harrison catalog; there's "My Sweet Lord", yeah, but there's no "Here Comes the Sun", "While My Guitar Gently Sleeps", or, mercifully, "Got My Mind Set on You".
Attawaytogo, Pitchfork.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:19 AM   #202
Refugee

impy is so funny
He should have presented the VMA's...
Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #203
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Have to say, after a few thorough listens through, I have to say a few things:

I was always a John man first and foremost. I have a newfound appreciation for Ringo's drumming. I always loved George, and the remasters reaffirm it s well. Paul is slipping faster and faster.

I do love a number of Paul's songs, but can someone please investigate: was Paul's interviews in the Anthology DVD's the inspiration for David Brent? The not-so-subtle bigging up, the ridiculous scenery (Harrison and Starr in their back gardens, McCartney in the woods stoking a fire, or driving a fucking boat in circles). Or always quietly dropping a weak John example into everyone of his points making thinly veiled attempts to prove he isn't biased.

I find the remastered versions have made me hate Paul's granny-tunes even more. The two I dearly love (Your Mother Should Know and Ob-La-Di are still up there) but I cant cope with the rest.

Anyway, I love havng these discs to reignite and drive home John's genius.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #204
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
(Harrison and Starr in their back gardens, McCartney in the woods stoking a fire, or driving a fucking boat in circles)..
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the scenery in the Anthology documentary to be quite staggeringly strange.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #205
Refugee

Lennon was the man, but you cant say McCartney was rubbish
He has some belters too like Yesterday, Back in the USSR, Helter Skelter, Fool on the Hill and tons more
Old 09-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #206
ONE
love, blood, life

^ it's ridiculous!!

My fiance always loved Paul, I used to tease her about it and she never understood why. She watched the anthology through for the first time over the last few days and by the end she is saying things like 'fucking paul, I fucking hate him! Why did he get all the A-sides???' We were pissing ourselves every time he changed scenery: now hes ON A BOAT MUTHAFUKA!!!!

If it wasn't 'paul mccartney' I would have pitied the poor guy going to desperate lengths to prove to the world he is popular and successful... wait a minute...
Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #207
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post

I do love a number of Paul's songs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
Lennon was the man, but you cant say McCartney was rubbish
He has some belters too like Yesterday, Back in the USSR, Helter Skelter, Fool on the Hill and tons more
Yeah I know. Still, in 39-40 years since the breakup, has Paul finally written as many decent songs as a solo artist as John did in 10 (and what 4 or 5 as an active musician). Evn give him Yesterday to start him off.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #208
ONE
love, blood, life

My overwhelming impression has become that until they started writing separately they both hit gold together countless times. Apart, John has a much greater strike rate. Even when the partnership was waning, John was writing gold like Glass Onion, and Paul was writing Martha My Dear.... It seems John can work quite easily without Paul and Paul struggles without John, but occasionally gets lucky
Old 09-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:42 PM
While they both had a couple of solo classics, neither one lived up to what they did beforehand. They were always better together.

And if John had lived, I have no doubt his "strike rate" in the 80's would have been just as bad. One listen to Woman is all I need to know this. It's as sappy as McCartney's My Love.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #210
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
While they both had a couple of solo classics, neither one lived up to what they did beforehand. They were always better together.

And if John had lived, I have no doubt his "strike rate" in the 80's would have been just as bad. One listen to Woman is all I need to know this. It's as sappy as McCartney's My Love.
I defy anyone to make a mccartney solo list with as many classics as

imagine
instant karma
cold turkey
happy xmas
watching the wheels
starting over
jealous guy
beautiful boy
give peace a chance
working class hero
mind games
power to the people
stand by me (not written by, but recorded the difinitive version)

Mccartneys solo list may be impressive, but the only song he as that matches them for quality is band on the run.

Each to their own I suppose, but I think it is hard to argue with Johns record

Tags
beatles