The Beatles Remastered - Part II - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #181
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 10:45 PM
In going through Let It Be, there's really not too much to change if you go by the Let It Be...Naked blueprint, which has a stronger running order. The remixes sound superior to the remaster, in my opinion, but a few of them aren't as good for other reasons - the single version of Get Back has the false ending, the solo on the single version of Let It Be is better, and the vocals on the original Don't Let Me Down and I've Got A Feeling are stronger.

Also, one of the complaints with Naked was the removal of some of the studio banter and the short snippets, and I'd agree with that - this was supposed to be capturing the band live in the studio, so to speak. The ending result came across a bit too sterile and cold; it was made too clean.

So I tried to come up with the best of both worlds:



Get Back (with Don't Let Me Down and 9 11 other songs)

Side One
1. Get Back (Single Version with false start; put Lennon's "I Dig A Pygmy" intro before it)
2. Dig A Pony (Naked Version, but include false start from original)
3. For You Blue (Naked Version, but include studio chatter at beginning from original)
4. Two Of Us (Naked Version)
5. Dig It
6. Let It Be (Single Version)
7. Maggie May

Side Two
8. I've Got A Feeling (Original Version)
9. One After 909 (Naked Version)
10. Don't Let Me Down (Single Version)
11. I Me Mine (Naked Version)
12. Across The Universe (Naked Version)
13. The Long And Winding Road (Naked Version)

The only thing I don't have on here is the ending from the album version of Get Back, which I love, but I don't see how I can include it here, unless I just put it on at the end and call it Get Back (Reprise) or something.

EDIT - I also skipped Teddy Boy because it didn't sound good anywhere I put it, and I'm not a big fan of it anyway.
__________________

__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #182
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,286
Local Time: 10:45 PM
Yeah, the only reason Good Night isn't the closer in my running order is because I wanted to include Hey Jude in it, and I just can't see anything in that batch of songs that could adequately follow Hey Jude - it's just too epic. After 4 minutes of 'na na na na na na na, na na na na, hey jude', the only thing I could put after was the mindfuck of Revolution 9. I viewed Hey Jude/Revolution 9 as sort of an encore after Good Night, but even then, I was considering switching the placement of Hey Jude and Good Night. I was torn.
__________________

__________________
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 PM   #183
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Yeah, the only reason Good Night isn't the closer in my running order is because I wanted to include Hey Jude in it, and I just can't see anything in that batch of songs that could adequately follow Hey Jude - it's just too epic. After 4 minutes of 'na na na na na na na, na na na na, hey jude', the only thing I could put after was the mindfuck of Revolution 9. I viewed Hey Jude/Revolution 9 as sort of an encore after Good Night, but even then, I was considering switching the placement of Hey Jude and Good Night. I was torn.
Couldn't you do "Hey Jude" back-to-back with "Revolution 9," then put "Good Night" at the end? It maintains the continuity of the original tracklist, makes logical sense, and isn't wrong.
__________________
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 04:45 PM
I thought the same thing. It's not that particularly jarring, either.
__________________
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #185
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,991
Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
In going through Let It Be, there's really not too much to change if you go by the Let It Be...Naked blueprint, which has a stronger running order. The remixes sound superior to the remaster, in my opinion, but a few of them aren't as good for other reasons - the single version of Get Back has the false ending, the solo on the single version of Let It Be is better, and the vocals on the original Don't Let Me Down and I've Got A Feeling are stronger.

Also, one of the complaints with Naked was the removal of some of the studio banter and the short snippets, and I'd agree with that - this was supposed to be capturing the band live in the studio, so to speak. The ending result came across a bit too sterile and cold; it was made too clean.

So I tried to come up with the best of both worlds:



Get Back (with Don't Let Me Down and 9 11 other songs)

Side One
1. Get Back (Single Version with false start; put Lennon's "I Dig A Pygmy" intro before it)
2. Dig A Pony (Naked Version, but include false start from original)
3. For You Blue (Naked Version, but include studio chatter at beginning from original)
4. Two Of Us (Naked Version)
5. Dig It
6. Let It Be (Single Version)
7. Maggie May

Side Two
8. I've Got A Feeling (Original Version)
9. One After 909 (Naked Version)
10. Don't Let Me Down (Single Version)
11. I Me Mine (Naked Version)
12. Across The Universe (Naked Version)
13. The Long And Winding Road (Naked Version)

The only thing I don't have on here is the ending from the album version of Get Back, which I love, but I don't see how I can include it here, unless I just put it on at the end and call it Get Back (Reprise) or something.

EDIT - I also skipped Teddy Boy because it didn't sound good anywhere I put it, and I'm not a big fan of it anyway.
Not bad, but I think Two Of Us is a perfect opener. It's also ironic that the album that pretty much ended the band features the two frontmen harmonizing on the lead vocal, but it's nice to hear them together here, and sets a more positive tone for the album. I wouldn't want to mess with that at all.

I do like the idea of ending with The Long and Winding Road, though.

I think it's also fair to include Old Brown Shoe (way better than For You Blue) and the Ballad of John and Yoko, both started before Abbey Road was under way, and in keeping with the old-school style of the Get Back sessions.

Also, I know it's not on Anthology Vol.3, but isn't there a longer version of Dig It somewhere? That would be nice to have.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #186
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,955
Local Time: 07:45 PM
I wish I'd grown up hearing more of this music. That way I'd probably be much, much more familiar with the songs immediately without having to think of how some of them that you all mention go. Songs like It's All Too Much, Old Brown Shoe, etc.
__________________
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #187
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 09:45 PM
You know what's awesome?

Beatles Acapella (this is from Anthology III)

YouTube - THE BEATLES - BECAUSE - ANTHOLOGY VERSION (AUDIO)

Harmonies
__________________
U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #188
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Same version as LOVE. It's the definitive one, as far as I'm concerned. Laz talks about how obnoxious the Moog is in "Here Comes the Sun," but it's far worse in the Abbey Road cut of "Because."
__________________
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:09 AM   #189
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 09:45 PM
The cirque de soleil thing?

Never bothered to check it out, guess I should.

Agree though, it fucks the album cut up the goatass.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:10 AM   #190
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,955
Local Time: 07:45 PM
Yes. You really should.
__________________
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:15 AM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 09:45 PM
Yeah, I am reading the wikipedia entry for it now, wondering why I decided not to check this out in the first place.

I do remember the press for this, they (Paul, Ringo, maybe even Yoko and George's wife) were on Larry King.

And I think I've heard part of Tomorrow Never Knows vs Within You, Without You
__________________
U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:56 AM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,947
Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
I just want to say a few things, none of them meant to be standoffish/look-at-me-ish, all of them entirely genuine, and all of them informed by the fact that I formed these opinions on my own, in my bedroom, in a vacuum, as a child.

1) My favorite/the best song on Sgt. Pepper's is clearly "Lovely Rita." Oh, how I adore it.

2) I do not HATE "Wild Honey Pie." I just think that it's a weaker track on the album.

3) I actively love "Honey Pie."
Yes, yes and mmm....yeah. Lovely Rita is constantly vying with ADITL for my favourite of Pepper. Wild Honey Pie is too short to hate, it's only 50-odd secs long, for this reason it can't be anything but a weak "song" and probably should be treated as a fragment. I don't love Honey Pie, but certainly don't dislike it.

I can't imagine Savoy Truffle missing from the White album, oh how it has grown on me over time.
__________________
intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:15 AM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,991
Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Same version as LOVE. It's the definitive one, as far as I'm concerned. Laz talks about how obnoxious the Moog is in "Here Comes the Sun," but it's far worse in the Abbey Road cut of "Because."
I'm not going to argue with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
Yes, yes and mmm....yeah. Lovely Rita is constantly vying with ADITL for my favourite of Pepper.
See what kind of company you've put yourself in, Shouter?
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #194
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,502
Local Time: 11:45 PM
the other day i thought i liked rita quite a bit for the first 20 seconds of the song, then we got past the intro and i remembered why i've never been a huge fan of that song. it's just not very good.

wild honey pie can be hated. in fact, it should be hated. but then again, i like honey pie. well, up until that ridiculous breakdown where paul starts talking outloud to himself about liking "this kinda hot kinda music" in that irritating falsetto thing. edit that out of there, and i'm such a sucker for that song.


i can't start remaking tracklistings, my brain will explode in more ways than it would if i tried to make favorite lists.
__________________
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #195
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Not bad, but I think Two Of Us is a perfect opener. It's also ironic that the album that pretty much ended the band features the two frontmen harmonizing on the lead vocal, but it's nice to hear them together here, and sets a more positive tone for the album. I wouldn't want to mess with that at all.

I do like the idea of ending with The Long and Winding Road, though.

I think it's also fair to include Old Brown Shoe (way better than For You Blue) and the Ballad of John and Yoko, both started before Abbey Road was under way, and in keeping with the old-school style of the Get Back sessions.

Also, I know it's not on Anthology Vol.3, but isn't there a longer version of Dig It somewhere? That would be nice to have.
I considered The Ballad Of John And Yoko and Old Brown Shoe, but in the end I stayed true to the thought process of using only songs that were featured in the film.

There is a longer version of Dig It out there on the bootlegs for the Get Back sessions. It's actually pretty cool, but due to time constraints I stayed with the original snippet.
__________________

__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beatles

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barcelona II Setlist Party, Part II! (Electrical Storm was played) Galeongirl U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Setlist Party Archive 1033 07-02-2009 05:04 PM
Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Listmania! (top 100/individual) LemonMelon Just the Bang and the Clatter 348 01-05-2009 11:51 AM
Rate my album collection. shart1780 Lemonade Stand Archive 75 02-14-2008 12:07 AM
Getcher Classical on! Psst...Dieman. Johnny Swallow Lemonade Stand Archive 8 03-07-2003 04:53 PM
Best part I and part II of a film wolfwill23 Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 14 11-19-2001 10:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com