The Beatles Remastered - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i listened to love once. it was ok. turns out, though, that i don't really like sun king forwards or backwards.

Finally heard a share of the Mono Remasters, and it works better for some tracks on the later albums ("Eleanor Rigby," "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"), but I still prefer the stereo versions.

It's really the vocal panning that rubs me the wrong way, and I've heard I'm not alone.

This is why I think it'd be good to get some sort of comprehensive list going. "E. Riggy" sounds so epically bad in stereo, so I'd like to replace it while keeping some of the Revolver tracks that sound better in stereo. The vocal panning is FUCKING DIS-TRACT-ING.

Master list. Do it.

I'm still really interested in hearing the Yellow Submarine remaster of Riggs before we discount it entirely.

Lethal-Weapon.jpg

It's really the vocal panning that rubs me the wrong way, and I've heard I'm not alone.

You are most definitely not alone. The only thing better than getting these remasters would have been to get new 2009 remixes as well.

I'm still really interested in hearing the Yellow Submarine remaster of Riggs before we discount it entirely.

I've said it numerous times, but the song versions on Yellow Submarine blow all other versions away.

Actually, I found a link from a blog. Can't tell if it works or not because I don't have access to file sharing sites from here, but let me PM you the link and you can check to see if it works.

Speaking of blogs, I found one that has links to download all of the remastered tracks in mp3, FLAC, etc... from a variety of sources. PM me if you want it.

Starting to get really, epically pissed off that Amazon has yet to contact me about my Mono Box shipping.

We've been covering Dylan and The Beatles in Pop Music class this week and it cracked me up to learn about their meeting in '64. Dylan brings the weed and tells the guys to try some more serious material and the Beats nudge him towards going electric. Killer tofu indeed.

LMP, have you had a chance to go through all of Yellow Submarine yet? Curious as to your thoughts.

I was pretty blown away by it, especially Eleanor Riggs (and Murtaugh) and "All You Need Is Love." Why they stick to the vocal panning on those tracks for the remasters, I don't know.

"Hey Bulldog" was pretty damn awesome, too.

Also, favorite early track as of right now? "Kansas City"

HarryCaray.jpg

HEY HEY HEY HEY.

All You Need Is Love is a huge improvement. It's nice to actually hear all the instruments for a change.

Sgt. Pepper's is another one that truly stands out.

The whole thing was a revelation, and 10 years on, it's still the best sounding Beatles product out there.

I dig these new remasters for the most part, but I can't hide my disappointment that there are no new remixes.

I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising soul takes these new remasters and remixes them with today's technology, to show just how good they really can sound.

I'm sure that centering the vocals would solve a lot of the problems.

And if we're still throwing around alternate mixes, try this one on for size:

THE WHITER ALBUM or THE WHITE POWER BILL ALBUM

Side One
1. Back in the U.S.S.R. (McCartney)
2. Dear Prudence (Lennon)
3. Glass Onion (Lennon)
4. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill (Lennon)
5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Harrison)
6. What's the New Mary Jane (Lennon) [from Anthology 3]

Side Two
7. Happiness Is a Warm Gun (Lennon) [Mono; the vocals aren't annoyingly panned to one side]
8. Martha My Dear (McCartney)
9. I'm So Tired (Lennon)
10. Blackbird (McCartney)
11. Piggies (Harrison)
12. Rocky Racoon (McCartney)
13. Don't Pass Me By (Starkey)
14. Why Don't We Do It in the Road? (McCartney)
15. I Will (McCartney)
16. Julia (Lennon)

Side Three
17. Birthday (McCartney, with Lennon)
18. Yer Blues (Lennon)
19. Mother Nature's Son (McCartney)
20. Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey (Lennon)
21. Revolution (Lennon) [non-album version]
22. Sexy Sadie (Lennon)
23. Hey Jude (McCartney) [non-album track]

Side Four
24. Helter Skelter (McCartney) [Mono; it's a minute shorter and a little crazier]
25. Not Guilty (Harrison) [from Anthology 3]
26. Long, Long, Long (Harrison)
27. Junk (McCartney) [from Anthology 3]
28. Cry Baby Cry (Lennon, with McCartney)
29. Revolution 9 (Lennon, with Harrison and Starkey)
30. Good Night (Lennon)

I think the one I'll catch the most crap for including is "Junk." Sure, it's a pretty throwaway McCartney tune and it ended up on his first solo album, but I think it's almost beautiful in its simplicity. It's nostalgic and romantic without being overly saccharine, which always risks happening with most McCartney tracks.

Also, by tagging the songwriters, it was staggering to see not only how many tracks Lennon has on here, but how fucking good they are.

Hell, I'm in it with you, and I don't even understand it.

All You Need Is Love is a huge improvement. It's nice to actually hear all the instruments for a change.

Sgt. Pepper's is another one that truly stands out.

The whole thing was a revelation, and 10 years on, it's still the best sounding Beatles product out there.

I dig these new remasters for the most part, but I can't hide my disappointment that there are no new remixes.

I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising soul takes these new remasters and remixes them with today's technology, to show just how good they really can sound.

I have never heard this remix of which you have repeatedly spoken. Could you perhaps go into some detail (historical and sonic), or even provide me with a relevant link or nine? I'm very curious. Any idea why the same steps were not taken with this batch of reissues? I have been living comfortably, if not happily, in a cave with my '87s and my old LPs for quite a while, and apparently didn't know what I was missing.

I think the one I'll catch the most crap for including is "Junk." Sure, it's a pretty throwaway McCartney tune and it ended up on his first solo album, but I think it's almost beautiful in its simplicity. It's nostalgic and romantic without being overly saccharine, which always risks happening with most McCartney tracks..

Very nice work getting rid of the two oh-too-sweet confections of Honey Pie and Savoy Truffle.

I also LOVE Junk and think it's as worthy of inclusion as the McCartney snippet "Can You Take Me Back". Great song.

So I'm assuming you liked Not Guilty?

Could It's All Too Much sound any cooler?

I don't think so.

Still not worth buying, though. Only four new tracks and two improved ones? Nah.

It's the first time I write something about the beatles but I have to say... I absolutely ADORE the album REVOLVER.

I'm not their biggest fan, and i never heard their work in full until now. Revolver takes 10* out of 5 :love:

I have never heard this remix of which you have repeatedly spoken. Could you perhaps go into some detail (historical and sonic), or even provide me with a relevant link or nine? I'm very curious. Any idea why the same steps were not taken with this batch of reissues? I have been living comfortably, if not happily, in a cave with my '87s and my old LPs for quite a while, and apparently didn't know what I was missing.

Back in 1999, when they re-released the film, it was decided to remix all the songs that appeared in Yellow Submarine as a new CD release.

The remixes fix a lot of the vocal panning that plagues many of the songs, where the lead vocal is only heard on one side. For many of the tracks, it is a tremendous improvement over the original stereo mixes.

Here's a link that is very informative and goes into extensive detail.

George Graham Reviews The Beatles' "Yellow Submarine" Songtrack

I don't think so.

Still not worth buying, though. Only four new tracks and two improved ones? Nah.

For someone who says "Fuck Mono" and appreciates hearing this stuff in stereo, your comment surprises me.

Wait, are you talking about the new remaster, or the 1999 version?

Very nice work getting rid of the two oh-too-sweet confections of Honey Pie and Savoy Truffle.

I also LOVE Junk and think it's as worthy of inclusion as the McCartney snippet "Can You Take Me Back". Great song.

So I'm assuming you liked Not Guilty?

Fuck desserts.

Sweet.

I'm firmly entrenched in the "Why did this not make the album" camp.

I don't think so.

Buy the Songtrack, seriously.

Back in 1999, when they re-released the film, it was decided to remix all the songs that appeared in Yellow Submarine as a new CD release.

The remixes fix a lot of the vocal panning that plagues many of the songs, where the lead vocal is only heard on one side. For many of the tracks, it is a tremendous improvement over the original stereo mixes.

Here's a link that is very informative and goes into extensive detail.

George Graham Reviews The Beatles' "Yellow Submarine" Songtrack

Back
Top Bottom