The Beatles Remastered - Part II - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #166
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Not a bad tracklisting, Ruckman, but "Good Night" has to close it.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #167
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Yeah. That's basically blasphemy right there.

Though he does get MAJOR points for axing both versions of Honey Pie.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #168
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
Not a bad tracklisting, Ruckman, but "Good Night" has to close it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Yeah. That's basically blasphemy right there.

Though he does get MAJOR points for axing both versions of Honey Pie.
Yes.

I wouldn't change anything from "Happiness" all the way to the end of Side Two. That shit's literally perfect. The acoustic "Gently Weeps" deserves a spot, and yes, "Good Night" is the closer. No ifs, ands, or buts. "Revolution 9" closing out the same Side as the ripping "Revolution" would be cool, if you need to move it to another spot.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #169
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Yes.

I wouldn't change anything from "Happiness" all the way to the end of Side Two. That shit's literally perfect. The acoustic "Gently Weeps" deserves a spot, and yes, "Good Night" is the closer. No ifs, ands, or buts. "Revolution 9" closing out the same Side as the ripping "Revolution" would be cool, if you need to move it to another spot.
I think the jarring transition of Rev.9 into Good Night is too perfect to mess with, no?

The only things I would do to the official order are:

1. Drop Not Guilty in right before Revolution 9. Harrison's shredding at the end would blend nicely into the chaos of the sound collage. Move Savoy Truffle to Side Three to even out the time better, maybe between Monkey and Sadie. It's cheesy but I don't have the heart to cut it.

2. What's the New Mary Jane could either work as the Side Two opener, or maybe in between Why Don't We Do It In The Road and I Will. I'm pretty sure Side Two is the shortest one (at approx. 22 minutes) and could fit the extra song.

3. Replace Revolution 1 with the electric version.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #170
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Quote:

Well, obviously.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

Listening to 1 now after having been listening to tons of Beatles in the last week and I've come to the conclusion that the remasters sound amazing in comparison. Especially the low end. So much more crisp now.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #172
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I think the jarring transition of Rev.9 into Good Night is too perfect to mess with, no?

The only things I would do to the official order are:

1. Drop Not Guilty in right before Revolution 9. Harrison's shredding at the end would blend nicely into the chaos of the sound collage. Move Savoy Truffle to Side Three to even out the time better, maybe between Monkey and Sadie. It's cheesy but I don't have the heart to cut it.

2. What's the New Mary Jane could either work as the Side Two opener, or maybe in between Why Don't We Do It In The Road and I Will. I'm pretty sure Side Two is the shortest one (at approx. 22 minutes) and could fit the extra song.

It is, but I was speaking more about him keeping the "Hey Jude"/"Good Night" tandem intact than the original tracklisting. I dig the original closing set as well.

When I get a hold of the Anthology tracks, I'll try my hand at one of these. And yeah, Number 3 is a no brainer.

I hate to harp on it, but I'm curious to know what you think of the adjustments I made to my Sgt. Pepper tracklist.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #173
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:41 AM
I really wish I could get these remasters. Tiny download limits for the loss.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #174
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
I hate to harp on it, but I'm curious to know what you think of the adjustments I made to my Sgt. Pepper tracklist.
Well it works better, and would be a fun listen, but I'm not a fan of the idea to begin with. When I do these fantasy reworkings, I try to keep them as conservative as possible, and try to refrain from using stuff from different sessions. Even my "controversial" placement of Mr. Kite in the #3 slot is something the band originally planned, for example.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #175
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Peef, you don't know anyone off-campus where you can go to download stuff?

Quote:
Well it works better, and would be a fun listen, but I'm not a fan of the idea to begin with. When I do these fantasy reworkings, I try to keep them as conservative as possible, and try to refrain from using stuff from different sessions. Even my "controversial" placement of Mr. Kite in the #3 slot is something the band originally planned, for example.
I see where you're coming from. I try to ground myself when it comes to these sorts of alternate mixes, and my relative lack of knowledge on these sessions kind of decisions, but sometimes they end up working better than you'd expect.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I just want to say a few things, none of them meant to be standoffish/look-at-me-ish, all of them entirely genuine, and all of them informed by the fact that I formed these opinions on my own, in my bedroom, in a vacuum, as a child.

1) My favorite/the best song on Sgt. Pepper's is clearly "Lovely Rita." Oh, how I adore it.

2) I do not HATE "Wild Honey Pie." I just think that it's a weaker track on the album.

3) I actively love "Honey Pie."
Old 09-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #177
Blue Crack Supplier

Man, your Beatles opinions seem to get more ridiculous with each passing day. Lovely FUCKING Rita? It's the worst song on there, along with Good Morning. I don't know how you could even defend that with any level of dignity.

You may have formed that opinion as a child, but one of the benefits of getting older is the wisdom and freedom to change your mind. If you find a time machine, go back and slap some sense into your younger self.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #178
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Not a big fan of "Good Morning," for what it's worth.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #179
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm surprised you have an animosity for Cornershop. They seem to have the mix of experimentation and tunefulness that you like in SFA and The Beatles, to name a couple.

Did you just hear Brimful of Asha one time too many?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You hit the nail on the head, my friend. I also saw them live, in like '97, and it was painful. A total clusterfuck. My animosity from that gig has now carried me for almost 15 years.

Tags
beatles