The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw some of the remasters when I was at Best Buy tonight. I wanted to pick up Rubber Soul and Revolver (my favs) but those were the only two they were sold out of. :(

I'll get to them eventually.

I think if I am limping in and going for the discs individually, I will go:

1. Help! (already attained)
2. White Album
3. A Hard Day's Night (Lauren's Fav)
4. Let It Be
5. Magical Mystery Tour
6. Revolver
7. Abbey Road
8. Past Masters
9. Rubber Soul
10. Sgt Pepper's
11. Beatles For Sale
12. Yellow Submarine
13. With the Beatles

AH! that´s great news for those that got a few of these cds.
CONGRATULATIONS! Specillay the lucky guy whos girlfriend bought him a cool
cd when he was at work. :D
THAT is a very cool and very loving girlfriend. Big Cheers mate!

I personally bought the entire Beatles collection in vinyl back in the late 70´s and early eighties. I was pretty young back then and just getting into music and collecting.
I just had to buy the entire Beatles back then. I still have them vinyls, but I would not
mind paying a few extra $$ now for this CD-box edition. It will be worth it.

There is no "best" record of the Beatles.
It´s like U2 ...or Led Zeppelin... or whatever band your into. You just gotta
have them all. Every single album is a masterpiece in music.
Its history....

Here is a thought. Check out the Rolling Stones magazine Top 100 albums
of ALL TIME list....
The RS 500 Greatest Albums of All Time : Rolling Stone

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles

2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys

3. Revolver, The Beatles

4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan

5. Rubber Soul, The Beatles

6. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye

7. Exile on Main Street, The Rolling Stones

8. London Calling, The Clash

9. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan

10. The Beatles ("The White Album"), The Beatles

11. The Sun Sessions, Elvis Presley

12. Kind of Blue, Miles Davis

13. Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground

14. Abbey Road, The Beatles

15. Are You Experienced?, The Jimi Hendrix Experience

16. Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan

17. Nevermind, Nirvana

18. Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen

19. Astral Weeks, Van Morrison

20. Thriller, Michael Jackson

21. The Great Twenty-Eight, Chuck Berry

22. Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon

23. Innervisions, Stevie Wonder

24. Live at the Apollo (1963), James Brown

25. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac

26. The Joshua Tree, U2

27. King of the Delta Blues Singers, Vol. 1, Robert Johnson

28. Who's Next, The Who

29. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin

30. Blue, Joni Mitchell

^ cheers max, she is a very very good girl, I love her very much :up:

I notice Thriller is at 20 on that list, and it is the highest selling album of all time, more than double 2nd place. That is the thing about the Beatles: their quality transcends their popularity. That is, they were always mega, but never just a fad band.

I picked up Abbey Road, Let It Be, Magical Mystery Tour, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and White Album today. I'm debating picking up Rubber Soul and Yellow Submarine later this week.

I'll get them all eventually, just isn't in the budget since school books costed more than I expected. I originally planned on buying the Stereo Box Set.

The trio of Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End is definitely its own medley and shouldn't be considered part of the other one. That wiki entry is bogus.

However, You Never Give Me Your Money does segue into Sun King, albeit barely, so I can understand that one a bit more.

I'm glad we agree, I'm just saying the general consensus has been that it's all one big medley.

And if you Google "You Never Give Me Your Money medley" or any variation, there are a lot of people who seem to think it's the beginning of the whole thing. I still say it "ends" properly, and Sun King comes in so softly and slowly it's hard to consider that much of a segue. And again, at 4:00 it certainly stands apart from the others as being more of a complete song.

Let's not get hung up on these little details, does anyone have a response to my issues with Macca's singing? Surely I'm not the only one? Cori, you're sensitive to these kinds of vocal issues. What say you?

I'm glad we agree, I'm just saying the general consensus has been that it's all one big medley.

And if you Google "You Never Give Me Your Money medley" or any variation, there are a lot of people who seem to think it's the beginning of the whole thing. I still say it "ends" properly, and Sun King comes in so softly and slowly it's hard to consider that much of a segue. And again, at 4:00 it certainly stands apart from the others as being more of a complete song.

Let's not get hung up on these little details, does anyone have a response to my issues with Macca's singing? Surely I'm not the only one? Cori, you're sensitive to these kinds of vocal issues. What say you?

Zoots responded.

McCartney's vocals in "the medley" (which we're going to continue calling it for the sake of continuity) never bothered me too much, save for the AWAAAAAKE part you mentioned. Definitely reaching for something he didn't have. But "Bathroom Window" was a good take, including the "kneeeeewww the answer" bit.

"You Never Give Me Your Money" is probably considered part of it since it's called back up in "Carry That Weight."

Furthermore, yeah "Her Majesty" was supposed to be between "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam," but tacking it to the end of the album was stupid and cheapens the finality of "The End," which would have been a pitch perfect note for them to go out on.

It does sound even worse in its original intended place, though.

Beatles Anthology, all three parts, were on VH1 classic today. Somehow my DVR bolloxed up recording part one. Fucking cock, wanted to watch it tonight and tomorrow.

My dad lent me those on DVD a year ago. Definitely an interest watch, but hardly the final word on everything Beatles.

I'd like to go through the book again when I get a chance.

My dad lent me those on DVD a year ago. Definitely an interest watch, but hardly the final word on everything Beatles.

I'd like to go through the book again when I get a chance.

I doubt I'd find the final word on them via any one TV special.

I saw it years ago, just wanted to see it again.

Zoots responded.

No he didn't. He just said something about my blind McCartney hate, and about the structure of the medley. Nothing about the vocals.

McCartney's vocals in "the medley" (which we're going to continue calling it for the sake of continuity) never bothered me too much, save for the AWAAAAAKE part you mentioned. Definitely reaching for something he didn't have. But "Bathroom Window" was a good take, including the "kneeeeewww the answer" bit.

"You Never Give Me Your Money" is probably considered part of it since it's called back up in "Carry That Weight."

I'm not going to argue about Bathroom Window. It's in my Top 5 Macca songs, and I think it's the second best thing on the album after I Want You (She's So Heavy). And I love the part you mentioned as well. It's when he tries to sound too ragged and rock and roll that there's a problem. Even the vocal on Helter Skelter is forced.

Any comment on the Money vocals? Especially the Al Jolson-esque part. I wonder if he was in blackface when he recorded it.

Furthermore, yeah "Her Majesty" was supposed to be between "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam," but tacking it to the end of the album was stupid and cheapens the finality of "The End," which would have been a pitch perfect note for them to go out on.

It does sound even worse in its original intended place, though.

Agreed on both counts. It would totally ruin the transition between Mustard and Pam, and yet at the end it's a bit of a goof. But perhaps it's better they ended on a note of levity, I don't know. Think of it as a bonus track.

Also, since we're talking about Golden Slumbers, what the FUCK is Macca doing during that "smiles AWAAAAAKE you when you rise" part? Is that scratchy, guttural vocal really appropriate here? No. As usual, forced.

I totally know what you mean about that bit of the vocal, but I don't think it's ever really bothered me. To be honest, though, I don't get too nitpicky about vocals on the Beatles records. I don't know why, considering how closely I've listened to them for so long.

What I do love, however, is the version of If I Fell where Paul's voice cracks on one of the "...was in vaaaaaain" bits. I don't think that's on the version of Hard Day's Night I have - is it on the remaster? I think it's funny, but also love how unpolished it is. I'm sorry most versions you hear are the corrected version, or retake, however they fixed it.

Any comment on the Money vocals? Especially the Al Jolson-esque part. I wonder if he was in blackface when he recorded it.

That one doesn't really bother me, even the sequence you dislike. It's hard for me to lump it in with his "Honey Pie" and "Silver Hammer" shit.

This guy would probably like it more had he been in blackface:

RogerSterling.jpg

Agreed on both counts. It would totally ruin the transition between Mustard and Pam, and yet at the end it's a bit of a goof. But perhaps it's better they ended on a note of levity, I don't know. Think of it as a bonus track.

Levity is fine, but considering this was their swan song, the finality of "The End" couldn't have been more fitting. It doesn't bother me as much when listening to it as it does when considering the album's place in their history as the last thing we heard.

This guy would probably like it more had he been in blackface:

RogerSterling.jpg

Oh shit, that scene...I know it was somewhat normal for the time, but I was still cringing.

And, um, Paul's vocals...I can't say I have too many problems either. It's obvious he's imitating his influences a lot, but it happens. His voice itself doesn't bother me at all.

I'm sure. It's a testament to how good it is that we watch these things that make us uncomfortable and enjoy the show anyway.

Particularly as a woman, I might add. We take a good beating on there. It's so true though, definitely the mark of a great show.

Does anyone have any opinion about which albums are improved the most by the remasters? I know similar treatments were applied to all, but as I am a fan of all of their music, I want to know what others think is the best improvement on the previous offerings.

I only have Help! so far, and the separation is striking. Listening on good headphones is a treat for the ears

Who the fuck has said it's all one medley? Did I miss something here? I thought this was common knowledge; the remasters didn't change that or anything, it's been that way all fucking long.

I think he was addressing more or less the common perception that the 2nd half is all one song. I was listening to it today and thought the same thing.

Hell, I'd say the second half of Disc 1 of The White Album, starting with "Happiness" works as a better collection of cohesive tracks than the end of Abbey Road.

McCartney's "granny music," as Lennon so lovingly put it, is starting to grate on me after revisiting the rest of the catalogue, too. "Your Mother Should Know" and "Baby You're a Rich Man" sound so out-of-place on Magical Mystery Tour that it's insane.

"Blue Jay Way," on the other hand, completely floored me.

Does anyone have any opinion about which albums are improved the most by the remasters? I know similar treatments were applied to all, but as I am a fan of all of their music, I want to know what others think is the best improvement on the previous offerings.

I only have Help! so far, and the separation is striking. Listening on good headphones is a treat for the ears

I haven't heard the remasters yet, so I've no opinion. Would be interested to hear what others say to this, though.

Hell, I'd say the second half of Disc 1 of The White Album, starting with "Happiness" works as a better collection of cohesive tracks than the end of Abbey Road.

McCartney's "granny music," as Lennon so lovingly put it, is starting to grate on me after revisiting the rest of the catalogue, too. "Your Mother Should Know" and "Baby You're a Rich Man" sound so out-of-place on Magical Mystery Tour that it's insane.

"Blue Jay Way," on the other hand, completely floored me.
Good...good...

palpatine.jpg

Although Baby You're A Rich Man is a Lennon song, punk.

I also came around to Blue Jay Way, and was thinking "where the fuck has this song been hiding?" Also, Old Brown Shoe on Past Masters Vol. 2, which starts out weak but really picks up and finishes strong.

Good...good...

palpatine.jpg

Although Baby You're A Rich Man is a Lennon song, punk.

I also came around to Blue Jay Way, and was thinking "where the fuck has this song been hiding?" Also, Old Brown Shoe on Past Masters Vol. 2, which starts out weak but really picks up and finishes strong.

Wow, holy shit, felt like a Paul track to me. I still say it sounds totally out-of-place in relation to the rest of the album.

I've never listened to "Old Brown Shoe," but that's what the remasters are for.

It's not that I dislike McCartney all of a sudden, it's more of an understanding that he has such a limited interest in the type of music he wants to pursue (especially when considering his Wings material), and to me, seems afraid to take risks the same way that John, and to some extent, George would. Sure, "Blackbird" is a pretty song, but it doesn't have the soul of a similar John ballad like "Julia," for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom