The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really so great a crime to prefer Valotte to Milk And Honey? And of course the film isn't going to be as good as "Too Late For Goodbyes." Very little is.

I love how the sensitive pleading is followed by the sarcastic pseudo-solidarity of the second sentence.

Have you been chatting with a certain knife-wielding Oasis fan?

I don't know what that means, but I don't think so...?

I just don't think Lennon Sr. released more than two good solo records. Dude fell the fuck off. And I'm not contrarian--I remember being 4 and thinking that Double Fantasy was awful, I remember being 10 and knowing Double Fantasy was awful, I remember being 16 and feeling really sad that Double Fantasy was awful, and I am now familiar with being 26 and getting tired of people telling me that I'm an asshole because they find it galling that I'm willing to admit that Double Fantasy is, believe it or not, still fucking awful. There you go.

Double Fantasy may be the work of a more comfortable, but that doesn't make it crap. It's a mixed bag, but I don't know how one could deny the greatness of something like Watching the Wheels. Julian couldn't write something that good in a million years.

And obviously, if you're a Yoko hater, you're going to think it's awful.

I'm still waiting for you to give Mind Games and Walls & Bridges another listen and they tell me they're not good albums.

For the Target purchasers, did the gift cards come up on the register when they rang up the albums, or am I going to have to tell them they're supposed to give me $5 for every 2 cds I buy?

Watch my Target not have any of them even put out yet.

They have to take it out of the drawer and physically scan it in. Whether or not they're prompted to do this by the register, I'm not sure.

Also, re: The White Album, when I first pulled out the fold-out photo collage and saw the lyrics on the back, I was like "What the fuck?!", thinking they were idiots for not putting the lyrics in an easier-to-read booklet. Of course, then I found the booklet in the other slot.

A little redundant to print them twice, no? Even in the attempt to be authentic?

Damn, take away a couple of covers that don't work and Beatles For Sale is killer.

as a generally huge fan of early beatles, i must agree with this statement. :up:

there's a "every beatles song a to z" marathon happening on the local classic rock station. it's making me oh so happy while i kill stuff in world of warcraft today. they're up to songs that start with the letter L right now. but then my buddy who i'm playing video games with says, "you know, i've never been a huge beatles fan." blasphemy jay, blasphemy.

For the Target purchasers, did the gift cards come up on the register when they rang up the albums, or am I going to have to tell them they're supposed to give me $5 for every 2 cds I buy?

It did come up on the register every two CDs. A cute little gift card screen pops up prompting the cashier to scan a card.

It just came up on the screen. And in the target here, they were on a rack, facing away from the aisle. The Jonas Bros / Miley Cyrus duet or something had the prime aisle space.

As good as these remasters are, I still wish we had remixes too.

A song such as Taxman needs it.

And Eleanor Rigby on here pales in comparison to the remixed version found on the 1999 version of Yellow Submarine.

I've got 2 weeks left at the job, so, I elected to show restraint. More fool me.

They're gonna get dropped as my FB friend, though. That'll show 'em.

You should tie him to a chair and beat him... until there's blood in his stool. And at the going away party, touch his wife's boobies.

As good as these remasters are, I still wish we had remixes too.

A song such as Taxman needs it.

And Eleanor Rigby on here pales in comparison to the remixed version found on the 1999 version of Yellow Submarine.

How does it differ?

How does it differ?

The original stereo mix, which has been remastered here, has Paul's vocal start in the center when he's singing "Look at all the lonely people", and then moves to the right when he says Eleanor for the first time. It moves back to the center when he gets to the line "All the lonely people, where do they all come from?" and then moves back to the right for the second verse.

And back and forth we go. It sounded like shit then, and despite the improved sound quality, sounds like shit now. In fact, I think it stands out even more because of the remastering.

The 1999 remaster centers Paul's vocal throughout, and it sounds perfect with the string quartet that way.

This is one song where, if you didn't have the 1999 remaster, and you had to choose between stereo and mono, you'd go with mono.

After listening to Abbey Road, I'm still of the belief that it's overrated, and would probably list it as my 4th or 5th favorite Beatoffs album.

The McCartney two-fer of Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Oh! Darling is just ridiculous, the former yet ANOTHER example of Macca's obsession with old-timey music, and the latter WAY out of his vocal comfort zone (something that Lennon was astute enough to recognize and point out to his bandmate to no avail). The music on Oh! Darling is great but I just find the singing too forced.

Not sure if putting Ringo's track in the #4 slot is a good idea. It's a nice little tune, but a trifle, and should have somehow been worked into the medley, or something.

Also, NOT a fan of the Moog. Considering how NOT dated most of the band's music is, this just sounds cheesy. At times at works, at times it's head-smacking. Does Here Comes The Sun really benefit from its presence? No, it doesn't.

You Never Give Me Your Money. There's some good stuff here. Unfortunately, this song is like Frankenstein, seemingly built from several songs, which tonally don't really go together (unlike the similar Happiness is a Warm Gun, which works). At its worst it sounds more like Wings than the Beatles, and then you have (ONCE AGAIN) the old-timey stuff, that little saloon-sounding part where McCartney, AGAIN with a forced vocal sings that "Out of college, money spent, see no future, pay no rent, All the money's gone, nowhere to go" in what in all honesty sounds like some kind of minstrel show bullshit. It's embarrassing, but I'll bet the Macca apologists think it's cute. Having said that, I like the end with the "1,2,3,4,5,6,7..." bit.

And here's another thing. This is supposed to be part of "The Medley"? How the fuck is that possible? The song is TWICE as long as anything else in there, and it does not IN ANY WAY segue into Sun King. I call bullshit.

Secondly, even "The Medley" isn't just one medley. Are you telling me that there's not a clear break between Bathroom Window and Golden Slumbers? Because there is. Dead air, total stylistic shift, whatever. Also, since we're talking about Golden Slumbers, what the FUCK is Macca doing during that "smiles AWAAAAAKE you when you rise" part? Is that scratchy, guttural vocal really appropriate here? No. As usual, forced. And a shame because the rest is so nicely done. I could also argue it's a weak knockoff of Lennon's Good Night, but I'll let that slide.

This album isn't perfect. It's far from it. The high points are very, very high, but with that gaping wound in the middle of side one (where most great albums tend to peak), and Macca overplaying his hand on side two, I just can't see how this is their masterpiece.

/rant

My God, Laz... your hate for Paul knows no bounds I think.

My only beef with Abbey Road is Come Together. I think it pales in comparison to everything else.

But I hear what you're saying about the medley. To me, it doesn't really start till Sun King. Aaand it gets broken for Golden Slumbers.

My only beef with Abbey Road is Come Together. I think it pales in comparison to everything else.

Wow.

The rhythm section alone on this song is one of the best things on the album.

I appreciate your recognition of my medley classification, but feel free to also reply to any of my Macca complaints. I'm not just name-calling for kicks.

Its the day after! :hyper:
So who has bought the Beatles package??
I am still at work but tomorrow morning I will be buying my Stereo-Limited edition box.
Can´t wait to check out the new re-mastered versions. :applaud:

The Beatles are still my favourite band ever...sorry, U2 does come first place tho, but without the Beatles, there might have not been a U2, or many other bands. So the
Beatles rock! :rockon:

And here's another thing. This is supposed to be part of "The Medley"? How the fuck is that possible? The song is TWICE as long as anything else in there, and it does not IN ANY WAY segue into Sun King. I call bullshit.

Secondly, even "The Medley" isn't just one medley. Are you telling me that there's not a clear break between Bathroom Window and Golden Slumbers? Because there is. Dead air, total stylistic shift, whatever.

Who the fuck has said it's all one medley? Did I miss something here? I thought this was common knowledge; the remasters didn't change that or anything, it's been that way all fucking long.

Zoots :tsk:

Its the day after! :hyper:
So who has bought the Beatles package??
I am still at work but tomorrow morning I will be buying my Stereo-Limited edition box.
Can´t wait to check out the new re-mastered versions. :applaud:

The Beatles are still my favourite band ever...sorry, U2 does come first place tho, but without the Beatles, there might have not been a U2, or many other bands. So the
Beatles rock! :rockon:

A few people in here bought everything today.

Mine arrive tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy the remasters!

I got home from work last night bummed that I had to work until 7:30pm and couldn't get to the shops.

I had a lovely little package on the kitchen bench in my sights. Turns out my lovely fiance run out on her lunch break and bought me Help! (she knows me so well!).

all I have to say is :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

The mini-docos are a bit disappointing, but still, the music is incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom