The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Help is far superior to BFS.

The title track, The Night Before, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Ticket To Ride, You're Gonna Lose That Girl, I've Just Seen A Face, Yesterday :drool:

Out of those, I'd go with Beatles for Sale, if only for "Eight Sprays a Week." But Help! has "Jizzy Miss Lizzy" on it, which is right up your alley.

The title track, The Night Before, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Ticket To Ride, You're Gonna Lose That Girl, I've Just Seen A Face, Yesterday :drool:

It should also be noted that Beatoffs For Sale also has the opening one-two punch of Blow Reply and I'm A Luber, the Macca classic Who You're Screwing, as well as his controversial incest song I'll Fellate The Son.

Beatles For Sale is underrated. Not criminally so; the covers are rather unimpressive and nearly sink the album, but the heights of the album are ridiculous. The band took some huge strides as songwriters and storytellers with that record. That said, I adore Help, and consider it the best of the first five by a fair margin, superior even to A Hard Day's Night, which has some nondescript, unmemorable filler right alongside the classics (though you could argue this applies to any of their pre-Rubber Soul output). Plus, I'd take Help, Ticket To Ride, and Yesterday over anything on AHDN. But that's mostly splitting hairs; even AHDN is 4 star quality, and certainly worth purchasing again.

You're right about the covers weighing Beatles For Sale down, and side two isn't very impressive overall, but those first five songs (which include one of the good covers) to me top the better-known singles from A Hard Day's Night. And specifically, not that it has a lot of competition among McCartney's early work, but I'll Follow the Sun to me is his best pre-Rubber Soul composition.

I'll probably wind up getting Help when it's all said and done. Mainly because it has more music, and more originals.

Beatles For Sale is probably my favorite pre-Rubber Soul. I said it.

Ticket to Ride :drool::drool:

That song nearly brings me to tears.

Definitely Top 10 or 15 material for me. I think I actually typed up a Top 15 on here not too long ago but it would be too hard to find it.

YLB:

1. "Strawberry Fields Forever"
2. "Hey Jude"
3. "Here Comes the Sun"
4. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
5. "Tomorrow Never Knows"
6. "Across the Universe"
7. "Get Back"
8. "I Am the Walrus"
9. "I'm Looking Through You"
10. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"

Me:

1. "Tomorrow Never Knows"
2. "Dear Prudence"
3. "Here Comes the Sun"
4. "Something"
5. "Across the Universe"
6. "Strawberry Fields Forever"
7. "In My Life"
8. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (although these days, the Love version is tops)
9. "I Am the Walrus"
10. "Eight Days a Week"
11. "I Will"
12. "A Day in the Life"
13. "Day Tripper"
14. "Come Together"
15. "Dig a Pony"

Laz:

1. Strawberry Fields Forever
2. Revolution (electric)
3. Happiness is a Warm Gun
4. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
I Am The Walrus
Don't Let Me Down
Dig A Pony
Rocky Raccoon
I'm Only Sleeping
Not Guilty

Gaffer:

1. I'm Only Sleeping
2. Strawberry Fields Forever
3. I'm So Tired
4. Getting Better
5. I Want To Hold Your Hand
6. She Loves You
7. Ticket To Ride
8. Girl
9. I Feel Fine
10. We Can Work It Out
11. For No One
12. The Ballad of John and Yoko
13. Love You To
14. Sexy Sadie
15. The End

1. Strawberry Fields Forever
2. Dear Prudence
3. You Never Give Me Your Money
4. Penny Lane
5. Ticket To Ride
6. You Won't See Me
7. Getting Better
8. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
9. Here Comes The Sun
10. I'm A Loser
11. Help!
12. Rain
13. She Said She Said
14. Long, Long, Long
15. I've Got A Feeling

It is, but how many copies of each one will be available at any given Target? Their inventory for music is always hit or miss. Their music section isn't nearly as large as Best Buy's.

That is cool that you can do all of the CDs at once though. So if they do have them all in stock, I guess the thing to do is by 12 of them together, get your $30 in GC, then go back and get the two doubles and use those GCs against them so they are free. That's what, $144? That would work. And then you still have one final $5 GC for something later.

If they have all of them, that is. Who knows how many copies they will have of the earlier, less popular albums.

I know for sure that in my store they're doing a checklane full. And really, if something winds up selling out before I get mine (doubtful), it's still a good deal on the ones that are there, y'know? I do know that in my store they're doing two separate entire endcaps for the remasters, so there has to be a lot. :shrug: We'll see on Wednesday! As for using the gift cards themselves for the remaster, I'll go the laz route there.

I can't come up with a top ten because I really haven't listened to those albums enough.

1. The Second Half Of Abbey Road
2. All You Need Is Love
3. Dear Prudence
4. Hey Jude
5. A Day In The Life
6. Something
7. Eleanor Rigby
8. Strawberry Fields Forever
9. Julia
10. Taxman
11. Tomorrow Never Knows
12. Good Night
13. Getting Better
14. We Can Work It Out
15. Drive My Car

I'm probably missing something horribly obvious.

My dad's favorite is "All You Need is Love," which I've never fully understood. It's great and everything and you can't help but love the sentiment, but I really can't fathom putting it into a top 15 or 20 or whatever.

Obviously, that's no slight against anyone's lists.

i've never been able to come up with a top anything for beatles songs. been saying for quite a long time now that there are probably 7 songs on each album i'd consider for favorites.

Top 25 (I can't find anything to get rid of)

1. I've Just Seen A Face
2. Dig A Pony
3. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
4. I'm only Sleeping
5. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
6. Helter Skelter
7. Help
8. I Me Mine
9. Something
10. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
11. Eleanor Rigby
12. Norwegian Wood
13. Your Mother Should Know
14. Lucy in the Sky
15. Rain
16. Day Tripper
17. Paperback Writer
18. Baby's In Black
19. Because
20. I'll Follow the Sun
21. Hard Days Night
22. Glass Onion
23. Strawberry Fields Forever
24. Till There Was You
25. Penny Lane

The order changes each day which is why I can't just cut it off at Rain

I originally posted 21, but had to add 4 that id missed and couldnt replace anything... I am shattered to have missed about 20...

1. Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite / I Want You (She's So Heavy) / Helter Skelter (from Love).

/discussion

can i just ask however -- re these reissues, for anyone who has them yet, do they sound a fair way better, but more importantly (for mine) what is the packaging like, are the fleshed out lyric booklets etc. i'll probably grab a few if this is the case.

I know for sure that in my store they're doing a checklane full. And really, if something winds up selling out before I get mine (doubtful), it's still a good deal on the ones that are there, y'know? I do know that in my store they're doing two separate entire endcaps for the remasters, so there has to be a lot. :shrug: We'll see on Wednesday! As for using the gift cards themselves for the remaster, I'll go the laz route there.

Good to know about the endcaps. Hopefully the one close to me will be well stocked. I'll find out when I stop there on the way to work in the morning.

It may be inspirational and brilliant, but it's not really an enjoyable listen.

Revolution 9 can never really be considered a song, and ultimately is difficult to rate against other Beatles songs, but I find it immensely enjoyable. I listened to it 2 weeks ago and there are sounds there that are real ear candy, I couldn't care about the lack of structure and that there are wierd spoken words floating around, it still sounds good, all 9 minutes.

I've always enjoyed listening to Revolution 9 more than listening to Yer Blues and Revolution 1, which are two songs I dislike.

And while The White Album is fairly maligned for the awkward, yet inevitable lack of flow, Cry Baby Cry / Can You Take Me Back / Rev 9 /Goodnight, just works soooooo well....somehow.

I've been re-listening to these albums for the past week and have to do some tweaking, plus I put that list together on the fly:

1. "Strawberry Fields Forever"
2. "Hey Jude"
3. "Across the Universe"
4. "Tomorrow Never Knows"
5. "A Day in the Life"
6. "Get Back"
7. "I Am the Walrus"
8. "Dear Prudence"
9. "I'm Looking Through You"
10. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (either the demo or Love versions)

Yeah... I'm happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom