The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Caruso pic for DJ AM was even better, as far as tasteless comedy goes.

I didn't even know who he was, honestly but looks like I wasn't the only one.

On topic, I am waiting to hear the remasters, can't decide if I'll get them or wait and see if my dad gets them and test the waters...

Someone (was it IYS?) put it really nicely earlier in the thread, it probably doesn't make any fucking difference at all. These songs are just that good.

I'll preface this by saying this is all stupid and fanboyish, so skip over it if you don't want to hear some guy talk about how much he loves the Beatles:

This whole thing is really making me realize how much we take the band for granted. They've been a part of all of our lives from such a young age, their songs just beaten into our heads until they're a part of our subconscious. They were the best band of all time and there will never, ever be another like them. Even though I've heard these songs a thousand times having probably listened to them more than any other artist in my life, they're just so, so fucking good.

The Cirque show has inspired the same reflections in me both times I've seen it. They've been dissected to death, endlessly and relentlessly, but the most important thing is that these songs are just as unbelievable as the first time I've heard them. Sure, just about everyone says they like the Beatles, so it's kind of a cliche to say how much you love them. But diving into the stories and the full albums is so incredibly rewarding. Your typical Beatles "fan" doesn't understand that.

The albums are always there, sitting on my shelf waiting to be spun for the umpteenth time. They're always just as good, if not better, than the last time. But what these remasters, LOVE a few years ago, etc. make me remember is how much this music deserves to be obsessed over.

This is the post I was referring to.

I had to catch up 20 pages, so I read like 10 pages and went straight to the end.
I missed that the first time around. Nicely done, Impy.

The Beatles never get old.

The most amazing thing about them (of the many to choose from) is...
All that GREAT music in about a 7 year period.

Seriously though, I remember listening to The Beatles when I was as young as I can remember.

I went through a phase where I got into Zeppelin and me and my dad used to argue over them...just rebellious bullshit, The Beatles own everyone. End. Of. Story.

My parents stopped buying records in the mid-70's or so, but, they had a lot of Motown and Beatles albums so I was exposed to that material at a very young age.

My older brother once sang along to Hey Jude as some video of it played on TV in our basement when he was eight or nine years old, and my parents snuck down a few of the stairs and video taped it; it is now a permanent part of our home movie collection.

I don't remember not liking the Beatles.

Ok, this will probably go poorly, but whatever:

Anyone in here like any of Julian Lennon's stuff?

Valotte is better than 90% of his father's solo work, and "Too Late For Goodbyes" was my first favorite song of all time, back at the tender age of 3. I still love it like precious few others.

Ok, this will probably go poorly, but whatever:

Anyone in here like any of Julian Lennon's stuff?

Yeah, actually. "Too Late For Goodbyes" is a good song. I don't really remember the rest of Valotte - it's been years since I've listened to it - but I remember liking it.

Also, there was a song he did, close to a decade ago, I think it was called "I Don't Wanna Know", which was alright.

Valotte is better than 90% of his father's solo work, and "Too Late For Goodbyes" was my first favorite song of all time, back at the tender age of 3. I still love it like precious few others.

From the Valotte album, "Valotte" and "Too Late for Goodbyes are favorites".

But my favorite album of his is Photograph Smile. No matter what he does, he sounds at least a little like his Father. But there are a few moments on that album where, intentionally or not, he sounds exactly like him and it haunts the shit out of me like nothing else.

Yeah, actually. "Too Late For Goodbyes" is a good song. I don't really remember the rest of Valotte - it's been years since I've listened to it - but I remember liking it.

Also, there was a song he did, close to a decade ago, I think it was called "I Don't Wanna Know", which was alright.

:up:

Yeah, Julian really sounds(and looks) scarily like his father.

What about Sean Lennon? I just listened to a few tracks off his record "Friendly Fire", and they're pretty fucking good, imo. Different from Julian. He doesn't sound nearly as much like his father as Julian does, though there is some similarity. But really good, from what I'm heard so far.

Holy shit, I'm listening to Sean's "Friendly Fire" in whole right now for the first time and I can't believe how good it is. Wow. You guys should listen to this. :drool:

I'm glad to hear a few of you enjoyed my super fanboy post. It's just been all Beatles all the time for me the past few days, a phase I go through several times a year. It needed to be said.

As far as THE KIDS! go, a buddy told me Dhani Harrison's album as thenewno2 was pretty good, although I never got around to listening to it. It's positively frightening how much he looks like George, even more so than Sean Lennon looks like John:

DhaniHarrison.jpg

It would please me greatly if no one ever talked about Michael Jackson again.

OMG U R SO CONTRARIAN!!

This is probably the dumbest thing you've ever written, and I'm guessing that doesn't include just this forum.

Perhaps I just haven't done the math, but Lennon Sr. only released two good records, by my count. I lovelovelove the dude, but his Plastic Ono Band record and Imagine are all I enjoy. I guess that he didn't, to my knowledge, release 20 records, but whatever. Valotte is better than the other ones, percentages notwithstanding.

I am in their employ and that's exactly what I'll be doing. Buying two before my shift that day in electronics, two before my shift at the front, two during each break, two at the end of my shift in electronics, and two at the end of my shift at the front. Unless Super Cool Electronics Guy is there. He'll do it for me in one transaction because, well, he's Super Cool Electronics Guy.

I saw the flyer, and it doesn't say anything about not getting them all at once. If that were the case, I'd do one transaction for all but two of them, and then get the last two and use the gift cards towards them. And then I'd still have a $5 GC left over.

Of course, the big thing here is what Target will have, because their inventory won't be the same as Best Buy or a music store. This whole thing will be pointless if certain titles aren't even there.

Perhaps I just haven't done the math, but Lennon Sr. only released two good records, by my count. I lovelovelove the dude, but his Plastic Ono Band record and Imagine are all I enjoy. I guess that he didn't, to my knowledge, release 20 records, but whatever. Valotte is better than the other ones, percentages notwithstanding.

Those two may be his best, but his other albums are mixed, at worst, just like a lot of Dylan releases. And I'd put up Mind Games, Walls & Bridges and Double Fantasy as all being very good to great. Regardless, each album has enough great tracks to ensure that they are better than fucking Valotte.

And considering Lennon only released seven albums with original songs on them, your math is most certainly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom