The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the White Album and Past Masters are both $17, so that's an extra $8 right there.

You can't buy Past Masters separately? That sucks, I really don't need Vol. 1.

And it still doesn't add up to the $199 sale price that seems to be prevalent. You should be saving money by getting a set, not spending more or the same amount.

You can't buy Past Masters separately? That sucks, I really don't need Vol. 1.

And it still doesn't add up to the $199 sale price that seems to be prevalent. You should be saving money by getting a set, not spending more or the same amount.

Wait, did you include Yellow Submarine in your calculations?

Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Beatles For Sale, Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, and Let It Be = 12 * $13 = $156.

White Album and Past Masters = 2 * $17 = $34.

$156 + $34 = $190.

Only a $10 difference, and that's for the case, I guess.

It also depends on how badly you want the first few LPs. I don't see the sound change in everything pre-Rubber Soul being anything too revolutionary. Sure, it's going to sound better. But coupled with how (in)frequently I spin those, it's not worth the upgrade. That's just me though.

And Past Masters only being in the box sucks, if indeed it's true.

I agree. I don't turn that stuff off if it's on the radio, but I can't say I crave listening to it. It's sophisticated bubble gum, but bubble gum nonetheless.

At some point I would probably pick up Help and Beatles For Sale, though.

And Past Masters only being in the box sucks, if indeed it's true.

No, they're available separate from the box, but not from each other. Vols. 1 and 2 are packaged together.

I don't need to have the German versions of early songs in my permanent collection, thank you.

He meant that you can't buy either version of Past Masters separately, but you can buy the two volumes together bundled for $17, outside the box.

Ah, my mistake. That's worth the price tag though. Obviously volume two is vastly superior, but $17 isn't bad for so many tracks. I adore some of those early singles.

No, they're available separate from the box, but not from each other. Vols. 1 and 2 are packaged together.

I don't need to have the German versions of early songs in my permanent collection, thank you.

Just pretend you're paying $13 for Vol. 2 and getting Vol. 1 as a bonus for the low low price of $4.

Yeah, that's how I'm going to have to fool myself.

For real, though, as far as having the most quality tunes are concerned, I'd put PM Vol.2 above Let It Be, Rubber Soul, and I know this is blasphemous, but Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road as well.

That disc gets a LOT of rotations here.

I disagree with PM2 being better than Sgt. Pepper's, but I could understand why some would prefer it. I think Abbey Road, however, is quite possibly the band's greatest achievement.

Come Together
Something
Octopus's Garden
I Want You(She's So Heavy)
Here Comes The Sun
Because
You Never Give Me Your Money->The End medley

:drool:

I've typed it numerous times on this site but, yes, Abbey Road is their greatest achievement. In my humblest of opinions.

I wasn't saying Past Masters V2 was "better" as an album than those others, because it isn't one. I just think it has more great songs:

Rain
Day Tripper
We Can Work It Out
Don't Let Me Down
Ballad of John & Yoko
Revolution
Hey Jude
You Know My Name
Lady Madonna

That stacks up pretty well against anything.

It's really tough for me to do an album ranking. Abbey Road is probably it, but it changes a lot depending on my mood. Past Masters v.2, while not an album, would be toward the top of anything too. I too would take it over Pep's, which I'm really not completely bananas over. I'd take it behind Abbey, Revolver, Rubber Soul, and hell, even behind Magical Mystery Tour.

For someone who doesn't like those games at all, I'm really starting to want Rock Band. Then my entire living room would be ridiculously Beatles'd out, what with the Pep rug. That faithful representations of the instruments is a huge selling point.

No Beatles album will ever top The White Album for me. It's my #2 of all time, period. It may not be consistent, but too many riches overpowers what every other LP has to offer. Plus I'm partial to John, and that one is just the peak of his skills.

Happiness is a Warm Gun
Dear Prudence
Sexy Sadie
Revolution 1
Julia
Yer Blues
I'm So Tired
Glass Onion
Cry Baby Cry
Everybody's Got Something To Hide...
Revolution 9

plus some other dudes wrote stuff too, apparently.

I'm gonna venture a guess and say that Achtung is Laz's favorite of all-time.

It is probably mine as well.

Yes, it is my #1 of all time.

Rest of the five are probably Pavement's Wowee Zowee, The Replacements' Pleased to Meet Me, and Sugar's Copper Blue. Maybe The Afghan Whigs' Black Love as an alt. #5.

Oh, that blows. I was hoping to pick up mono versions of the few albums that would have the best listening experience in mono.

Guess I'm just getting the stereo versions, then.

No Beatles album will ever top The White Album for me. It's my #2 of all time, period. It may not be consistent, but too many riches overpowers what every other LP has to offer. Plus I'm partial to John, and that one is just the peak of his skills.

Happiness is a Warm Gun
Dear Prudence
Sexy Sadie
Revolution 1
Julia
Yer Blues
I'm So Tired
Glass Onion
Cry Baby Cry
Everybody's Got Something To Hide...
Revolution 9

plus some other dudes wrote stuff too, apparently.

All great, so your assessment of The White Album isn't bad. For what it's worth, I also chalk up Achtung, Birdie as my #1. Probably explains why I'm here despite not listening to the band anymore.

Oh, that blows. I was hoping to pick up mono versions of the few albums that would have the best listening experience in mono.

Guess I'm just getting the stereo versions, then.

If only getting them was as easy as making out with someone, like the other Mono.

Pleased to Meet Me would be a Top 20 for me for sure. AB is #2.

Do you have other THE MATS! albums higher, or is that your fav as well? I know most fans prefer Let It Be or Tim.

All great, so your assessment of The White Album isn't bad. For what it's worth, I also chalk up Achtung, Birdie as my #1. Probably explains why I'm here despite not listening to the band anymore.

I wonder if Harriet had asked you what your favorite album was, would you have lied or attempted to mount a legit defense?

In addition to the Lennon, it also has what I consider two of Macca's Top 5 songs ever (Rocky Raccoon and Why Don't We Do It In The Road), plus that fun little saloon song by Ringo, and two good Harrison tracks (the other two are, uhh, NOT that good, and at least one should have been replaced by the outtake Not Guilty).

Do you have other THE MATS! albums higher, or is that your fav as well? I know most fans prefer Let It Be or Tim.

No, that's my favorite THE MATS! album. It's one of those albums I find myself attached to for reasons that go beyond the quality of the songs....when I first heard the album I was in an odd place in my life and the album was a great distraction. But, that aside, it would still likely be my favorite of theirs as, for me, there is not one song that I'd call filler, whereas there is with every other album of theirs. Also, they start to fuck around with different genres, they bring in some horns here and there, etc.

Short and fucking sweet, the album.

Yeah, I love how diverse the songs are. Though I'm not sure about the filler thing--I find Shootin' Dirty Pool to be pretty weak.

What I really love about it that separates it from the others, is that Paul is finally allowed to shine on his guitar playing. He's 10x the player Bob Stinson was, and I'm not really sure why they even needed to bring in Slim Dunlap on the next album. His work on Pleased are better than anything on the other albums. The solo on The Ledge? Fucking sick. And I also think Chris Mars' drums really pop on this album. I can't stop air drumming to stuff like Valentine and I.O.U.

Also, Can't Hardly Wait is one of the greatest tracks ever recorded. The lyrics, the melody, the horns, the singing, the cameo from Chilton himself. Just :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom