The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying their albums is really the type of help they most need.

And if you can afford to buy certain albums, then don't pretend that you'd never listen to music. It doesn't suit you.

Actually, don't most bands make more money from touring and merchandising than they do from the albums? If you "steal" the music, but pay to see them perform, you're probably helping more than you're hurting.

And if you can afford to buy certain albums, then don't pretend that you'd never listen to music. It doesn't suit you.

I don't mean I wouldn't listen to music. I mean I wouldn't listen to that wide of a range of music. I'd probably still just be listening to U2 and Springsteen exclusively, along with some Red Hot Chili Peppers my brother's bought or something.

Actually, don't most bands make more money from touring and merchandising than they do from the albums? If you "steal" the music, but pay to see them perform, you're probably helping more than you're hurting.

Well, that's the case now because albums are bought so infrequently anymore. It's a vicious cycle.

To be fair, you can name almost any commodity and say that the original intent was not for it to be sold. Bartering existed long before monetary systems, but things evolve. Also, was music ever really performed for free? It couldn't be recorded, sure, but didn't people pay to see musicians, offer food or lodging to minstrels, etc? I'm asking, you of all people would know if that is the case or not, of course.

And, yes, the music industry is woefully outpaced by the technology, agreed.

You're absolutely correct in that nothing was originally intended to be sold. Like I said earlier, in a society like ours, it's bound to happen. No, even back when Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and all of those classical dudes were composing, people did pay to see music. However, that money DIDN'T go to the composers, generally. Mozart died poor and not nearly as famous as he is today. I do try to see as many shows and buy as much merchandise as I can possibly afford because I feel like that's a better way to support an artist, and then, when I have the money, I go out and buy the record too.

Again, just to be clear, I'm not really trying to justify my actions, since I know what I'm doing is stealing according to the law.

Or you could pay for the album and then see them in person, too. Or, simply elect not to steal.

Laz, do you do this with films, too? Lance? Do you guys download films for free and never pay for them?

Double post.

Laz, yeah, that's generally the case. Bands make the most from merchandise, then ticket sales, then CD sales is somewhere farther down the money-making totem pole.

I do believe this to be true. You also see a lot of bands giving away albums at the shows you likely paid 25-50 dollars to attend.

I don't mean I wouldn't listen to music. I mean I wouldn't listen to that wide of a range of music. I'd probably still just be listening to U2 and Springsteen exclusively, along with some Red Hot Chili Peppers my brother's bought or something.

Wrong.

You'd listen to Pandora or other some great internet radio stations. That's if you truly wanted to be exposed to new music.

You're absolutely correct in that nothing was originally intended to be sold. Like I said earlier, in a society like ours, it's bound to happen. No, even back when Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and all of those classical dudes were composing, people did pay to see music. However, that money DIDN'T go to the composers, generally. Mozart died poor and not nearly as famous as he is today. I do try to see as many shows and buy as much merchandise as I can possibly afford because I feel like that's a better way to support an artist, and then, when I have the money, I go out and buy the record too.

Again, just to be clear, I'm not really trying to justify my actions, since I know what I'm doing is stealing according to the law.

Oh, I know that you're not justifying your actions. I'm just enjoying the discussion. :)

Mozart died very poor, but his outrageous spending habits contributed to that.

Laz, do you do this with films, too? Lance? Do you guys download films for free and never pay for them?

Of course. I downloaded over 100 movies this summer. Of course 80% of them are movies either no longer available through home video or not available through Region 1 DVD, for purchase or through rental. The other 20% is just stuff I wouldn't get to otherwise.

But really, those two markets are so dissimilar it's hard to make the comparison really mean anything.

Wrong.

You'd listen to Pandora or other some great internet radio stations. That's if you truly wanted to be exposed to new music.

I literally spent two years on this site not downloading music, and I didn't do any of those things. I wanted to, and, as I recall, talked often about how I was disappointed I couldn't. But I never took those steps. Only relatively recently did I begin downloading.

I literally spent two years on this site not downloading music, and I didn't do any of those things. I wanted to, and, as I recall, talked often about how I was disappointed I couldn't. But I never took those steps. Only relatively recently did I begin downloading.

Dan, look, at the end of the day, I really don't care who steals what, especially from the music industry. I'm more playing devil's advocate here than anything else.

It's just hard for me to listen to arguments that make it seem like people have no alternative but to steal music in the name of listening to music. I am completely aware that it's the wild fucking west out there with music and a broke 18 year old that loves music is going to love donwloading a free album in 2 minutes. Were I in your shoes, I'd probably be doing the same exact shit.

I'd just do like Oneblood, though, and admit to stealing it and would not pretend like I had some sort of claim on the music just because I can garner it with little to no effort.

Of course. I downloaded over 100 movies this summer. Of course 80% of them are movies either no longer available through home video or not available through Region 1 DVD, for purchase or through rental. The other 20% is just stuff I wouldn't get to otherwise.

But really, those two markets are so dissimilar it's hard to make the comparison really mean anything.

Ok Lance.

Wrong.

Boo Pandora. Every time I've tried to use that thing, it ends up playing the same 5 bands over and over. Maybe if I put more time into it, it'd learn more of my preferences, but it seems futile.

Oh, I know that you're not justifying your actions. I'm just enjoying the discussion. :)

Mozart died very poor, but his outrageous spending habits contributed to that.

As am I. Just wanted to put it out there in case somebody jumped in and didn't realize.

That's probably true. I don't know much about Mozart's personal life. But, even if he did blow all of his money, virtually zero composers lived lucrative lives because of their earnings from performing and writing music.

I also download out-of-print or never-released films quite frequently, as that's where my tastes have brought me, over the years. I dl'd a lot more, in Japan...since, you know, I was in Japan. Bela Tarr movies don't have English subs, in Japan. Just Japanese ones. It was very interesting and surprising to come back home and find that I had zero trouble switching back to the pay-as-you-go model. What with it being legal, and all.

To slightly Beatle-ify the conversation, I should point out that I illegally (unless I'm mistaken) watched some of Anthology, today, on YouTube. Weird, wild stuff. Right out there in the open, even though it's still in print and readily available for purchase.

Dan, look, at the end of the day, I really don't care who steals what, especially from the music industry. I'm more playing devil's advocate here than anything else.

It's just hard for me to listen to arguments that make it seem like people have no alternative but to steal music in the name of listening to music. I am completely aware that it's the wild fucking west out there with music and a broke 18 year old that loves music is going to love donwloading a free album in 2 minutes. Were I in your shoes, I'd probably be doing the same exact shit.

I'd just do like Oneblood, though, and admit to stealing it and would not pretend like I had some sort of claim on the music just because I can garner it with little to no effort.

I'm pretty sure you just finally did what I was asking three times before and elaborated despite addressing a wholly other post.

So thanks, fuckburger.

Boo Pandora. Every time I've tried to use that thing, it ends up playing the same 5 bands over and over. Maybe if I put more time into it, it'd learn more of my preferences, but it seems futile.

As am I. Just wanted to put it out there in case somebody jumped in and didn't realize.

That's probably true. I don't know much about Mozart's personal life. But, even if he did blow all of his money, virtually zero composers lived lucrative lives because of their earnings from performing and writing music.

I bring my Ipod to work but when I'd forget it, Pandora came in handy....took like 30 minutes one day and added a bunch of artists I like and that helped.

I'm sure you're right about other composers not living very opulent lives. I'm sure that just about everyone else lived similar lives, though. :)

Anyway, as I told Peef Dawg, I'm just sort of enjoying the debate. I don't really care if you download free music or not, you do what's best for you, of course.

I'm pretty sure you just finally did what I was asking three times before and elaborated despite addressing a wholly other post.

So thanks, fuckburger.

You little fucking shit, I thought I made that point clear earlier, to Namkcur and to Oneblood.

If I didn't, it could be that I made the point in my head and did not type it.

Can I give you a hug now, Lance?

:hug:

The Beatles CDs are being sold pretty cheap right now in some places. People know that the new remastered CDs are what people are gonna be after

SMB

As each day goes by it becomes more and more difficult to decipher if you're being sincere, facetious, dismissive or passive aggressive with these sorts of responses.

I'm rarely passive aggressive, come on. This was actually sincere, as if to say "I see your point and it makes my upcoming point moot now".

It was very interesting and surprising to come back home and find that I had zero trouble switching back to the pay-as-you-go model. What with it being legal, and all.

Strangely I find myself frequently just downloading stuff I could get from netflix (I maintain a mid-level subscription at all times) just because I'm too lazy to send back a DVD or two and wait for something new (because by the time a couple days pass and it arrives I'm bound to be in the mood to watch something else), unless of course it's on Watch Instantly.

And yeah, I will justify my film piracy. Because I spend a shit load of money on movies. Average one theater visit a week, the monthly netflix sub., frequent digital rentals/purchases through itunes and game console services, and DVD BD purchases. I don't think Tsai Ming-Liang is going to throw a fit if I download a torrent of Rebels of the Neon God one day.

I bring my Ipod to work but when I'd forget it, Pandora came in handy....took like 30 minutes one day and added a bunch of artists I like and that helped.

I'm sure you're right about other composers not living very opulent lives. I'm sure that just about everyone else lived similar lives, though. :)

Anyway, as I told Peef Dawg, I'm just sort of enjoying the debate. I don't really care if you download free music or not, you do what's best for you, of course.

I may give it another shot sometime. When I am forced to listen to internet radio, I use Last.fm's station. It tends to be more accurate, I've found.

Again true. I'll admit that I don't know a ton about classical music. It's not really my forte, so what I do know has only been picked up from conversations with a few music majors and one class I took on the genre. But, to make another comparison, there were certainly less people composing music at that point in time than now. Being a musician was a much more exclusive career venture, whereas now anybody and everybody can record an album and release it. So, even when classical composers did get paid for their work, it was sort of inevitable considering there weren't nearly as many of them as there are musicians now.

And I will. :) I think this is a fascinating discussion, especially once it gets into details and gray areas rather than simply being about "stealing" and making it so black and white like a lot of people like to do.

Well, that's the case now because albums are bought so infrequently anymore. It's a vicious cycle.

Well, I don't think bands EVER made much from their albums, unless they were in a position to renegotiate favorable contracts after becoming very successful.

Like Lance said, I only download stuff that I isn't available on DVD at all, or where the import is just out of my price range.

I NEVER download something I can see in the theatre. And I don't rent films, either. But I buy a shitload. Of course, the difference between seeing a film in the theatre and seeing it at home is much bigger than the difference between a purchased CD and downloaded mp3s.

Well, I don't think bands EVER made much from their albums, unless they were in a position to renegotiate favorable contracts after becoming very successful.

Like Lance said, I only download stuff that I isn't available on DVD at all, or where the import is just out of my price range.

I NEVER download something I can see in the theatre. And I don't rent films, either. But I buy a shitload. Of course, the difference between seeing a film in the theatre and seeing it at home is much bigger than the difference between a purchased CD and downloaded mp3s.

Yes, I most definitely concede that it's an apples to oranges question, but it was based less on the industry mechanics and more on your affinity for the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom