The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not making a judgement or statement here, but am I the last motherfucker on Earth who refuses to do anything but pay for his shit?

Don't worry, B. You're not. We may be a dying breed, in some circles, but we're still alive and kicking. For the time being. I sacrifice my own health to support the arts, as you yourself know. Just gotta try, before you buy...and I just can't bring myself to wait, when it's something I'm already going to buy.

You can play games in that fashion, yes.

More importantly, as I listen to The Beatles and at times have trouble recognizing it, I realize how these remasters are two things at once:

1) Pretty fucking gorgeous.

2) Pretty fucking inessential.

The music is just so ridiculously strong, even all these years later, that I could very easily hear these remasters, know how good they sound (although Revolver-in-stereo is still underwhelming, along with the at-least-it's-interesting Sgt. Pepper's), and just go back to my old-school CDs and the few original pressings we still have floating around. It sounds great, it is great, and I'm happy, but this just isn't needed. I loved this record as much, yesterday, as I do, today.

This is a good thing, by the way. A very, very, very good thing.

It's needed if you hate the vocals-in-one-channel-only thing going on on a lot of the early records. I hope to god that the vocals are centered in the remasters.

I'm not making a judgement or statement here, but am I the last motherfucker on Earth who refuses to do anything but pay for his shit?

Sure you pay, but that's just because you like to haggle beforehand.

And for the record, I probably spend more money on actual legit media than all of my friends. So my conscience is relatively clean.

More importantly, as I listen to The Beatles and at times have trouble recognizing it, I realize how these remasters are two things at once:

1) Pretty fucking gorgeous.

2) Pretty fucking inessential.

The music is just so ridiculously strong, even all these years later, that I could very easily hear these remasters, know how good they sound (although Revolver-in-stereo is still underwhelming, along with the at-least-it's-interesting Sgt. Pepper's), and just go back to my old-school CDs and the few original pressings we still have floating around. It sounds great, it is great, and I'm happy, but this just isn't needed. I loved this record as much, yesterday, as I do, today.

This is a good thing, by the way. A very, very, very good thing.

Very well observed.

I can only speak for myself...I'm a college student. A college student who can't afford to spend a lot of money on music. And given how easy it is to hear music online, I simply do not like to pay for music I haven't heard. I need to know when I spend my money on an album, that it's going to get listened to and enjoyed. I've got a lot of albums that I haven't paid for, but I have every intention of buying most of them at some point when school is finished(if all goes according to plan, I'll graduate in November) and I get a job and an income. I'll buy them second-hand on the Amazon Market Place for $2-3(after shipping) per, but I'll buy them nonetheless. As for games, I don't download them, except for old-school stuff on emulators.

Sure you pay, but that's just because you like to haggle beforehand.

And for the record, I probably spend more money on actual legit media than all of my friends. So my conscience is relatively clean.

Very well observed.

You don't have to justify yourself to me, I just feel like I'm in an insanely small minority. Every once in a while I'll dl something for free in advance of buying it, but that's only when I KNOW that I'll buy it. Not on my high horse or soap box, just sort of thinking out loud, sorry.

I can only speak for myself...I'm a college student. A college student who can't afford to spend a lot of money on music. And given how easy it is to hear music online, I simply do not like to pay for music I haven't heard. I need to know when I spend my money on an album, that it's going to get listened to and enjoyed. I've got a lot of albums that I haven't paid for, but I have every intention of buying most of them at some point when school is finished(if all goes according to plan, I'll graduate in November) and I get a job and an income. I'll buy them second-hand on the Amazon Market Place for $3(after shipping) per, but I'll buy them nonetheless. As for games, I don't download them, except for old-school stuff on emulators.

I went to college, too.

But that was a while ago, and you have a job and an income now, right?

I didn't steal things back then just cos I wanted it and because it was easy. That's all I'm saying. I mean, you can justify it all you like, but it's not like you're stealing bread cos you'll starve otherwise.

And I have a job for another 3 weeks, and then I go back to school, and trust me when I tell you that I'll not be stealing anything during that time period.

You don't have to justify yourself to me, I just feel like I'm in an insanely small minority.

Depending on the demographic(s) in question, you are. Or you aren't. Again, it depends. On online messageboards...? Fuckin' right, you're in the minority, holmes.

EDIT: NSW brings up important points, re: school/unemployment. It can be managed. I was unemployed for 10 months, over the last year...and spent about $2000 on music (live shows, used records/CDs, new stuff, etc.). I also graduated from college with less than $50 to my name...and still somehow found a way to buy records. But, then again, I guess that if I hadn't been so diligent about paying for shit, I would have had enough money to buy insulin, rather than just not eating. Whatever. It was worth it, ultimately.

I'm not sure. I thought I had asked someone if it was possible to burn a Wii disc and they said no. Apparently they were wrong.

I mean, if I could avoid shelling out another $60, that would be cool. It's not like those guys need any more money. And I already have the guitar and drums, and the first Rock Band.

You can. You need to hack the Wii first. A friend of mine's got his able to play DVDs and everything now through some ridiculous trick/hack in Zelda. No idea about how to specifically go about it, but it can be done.

I steal music. A lot. I also buy records quite a bit, which is a recent development, but I'm trying to be better about it. I just can't afford as much music as I want to listen to, unfortunately. Not an excuse per say, but there you have it.

Also, if Pfan's still wondering about downloading on college networks, I can say that even if the RIAA did catch you (which they won't because they aren't suing pirates anymore), a good percentage of colleges refuse to deliver the letters they receive about piracy to their students. It's near impossible to get in serious trouble. I think here if you get caught, the first step is to cut off internet access for about a week and you write a letter about why downloading/piracy is bad. Let's just say I've used the ungodly fast internet connection to my great advantage over the past couple years with no consequences though.

I try to be. I honestly think it's just a different mindset. People my age don't respect music as a purchasable commodity anymore. Now, I could get into a long rant about how music wasn't originally meant to reified into something to be sold in the first place, but, as is bound to happen in a society such as ours, it turned into that. But, I'll spare you that one. I don't know how I feel about it all. I pirate, but know that it's stealing, yet don't feel a huge remorse about it either. What I do know is that it's really a revolutionary time in the music industry in general (and has been for years now), and it'll be very interesting to see what comes of it.

I try to be. I honestly think it's just a different mindset. People my age don't respect music as a purchasable commodity anymore. Now, I could get into a long rant about how music wasn't originally meant to reified into something to be sold in the first place, but, as is bound to happen in a society such as ours, it turned into that. But, I'll spare you that one. I don't know how I feel about it all. I pirate, but know that it's stealing, yet don't feel a huge remorse about it either. What I do know is that it's really a revolutionary time in the music industry in general (and has been for years now), and it'll be very interesting to see what comes of it.

I hear you and it makes sense and I respect where you're coming from.

But I also know that you'd never walk into a record store and steal music that way. You do it cos you can, not cos you deem it as your right.

Actually, no, it's the core of the point. If you don't get it, whatever, I don't have the inclination to make you understand.

Well, I just fail to see what that has to do with the debate at hand in any practical sense. Isn't the question here essentially whether it is right or wrong to "steal" music? The discussion is more or less centered on personal ideologies and beliefs. And I just don't see where you're point factors in. Of course someone isn't going to go into a record store and steal cds. That's just being a dumb thief, no? I'd actually very much like you to expound on your statement, because no, I don't see what you mean.

I hear you and it makes sense and I respect where you're coming from.

But I also know that you'd never walk into a record store and steal music that way. You do it cos you can, not cos you deem it as your right.

That's sort of what I was getting at with the reification of it. I mean, music was never meant to be recorded, then copied endlessly and placed onto little silver discs to make exorbitant profits for record labels. It was, at one point, exclusively an organic process that occurred live and remained unrecorded. Am I glad that we record music now? Of course, because I don't know what I'd do without being able to put on that exact song I want to listen to at any given moment.

The problem really lies in how the music industry handled the whole MP3/piracy issue in the beginning. Had they went with technology instead of trying to resist it, we might be looking at a very different picture today.

But, yes, when it comes down to it, I do it because I can and do get away with it on a daily basis.

Well, I just fail to see what that has to do with the debate at hand in any practical sense. Isn't the question here essentially whether it is right or wrong to "steal" music? The discussion is more or less centered on personal ideologies and beliefs. And I just don't see where you're point factors in. Of course someone isn't going to go into a record store and steal cds. That's just being a dumb thief, no? I'd actually very much like you to expound on your statement, because no, I don't see what you mean.

We're actually discussing two different points.

You might want to re-read my back and forth with Oneblood and then maybe you'll understand. She introduced the original intent of music into the discussion, and right then and there my point became a valid one.

Not sure what's so hard to follow here, Lance.

That's sort of what I was getting at with the reification of it. I mean, music was never meant to be recorded, then copied endlessly and placed onto little silver discs to make exorbitant profits for record labels. It was, at one point, exclusively an organic process that occurred live and remained unrecorded. Am I glad that we record music now? Of course, because I don't know what I'd do without being able to put on that exact song I want to listen to at any given moment.

The problem really lies in how the music industry handled the whole MP3/piracy issue in the beginning. Had they went with technology instead of trying to resist it, we might be looking at a very different picture today.

But, yes, when it comes down to it, I do it because I can and do get away with it on a daily basis.

To be fair, you can name almost any commodity and say that the original intent was not for it to be sold. Bartering existed long before monetary systems, but things evolve. Also, was music ever really performed for free? It couldn't be recorded, sure, but didn't people pay to see musicians, offer food or lodging to minstrels, etc? I'm asking, you of all people would know if that is the case or not, of course.

And, yes, the music industry is woefully outpaced by the technology, agreed.

I'll quote again, just for visual reference.

But I also know that you'd never walk into a record store and steal music that way.

Again, so what? I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

nsw said:
You do it cos you can, not cos you deem it as your right

Wasn't oneblood's point more or less that it sort of is our right in a sense?

I do it because if I wasn't doing this I just wouldn't listen to the music at all. I'd rather download it and listen to it than not get a chance to hear it. And if I enjoy a band, I buy their albums and tell a lot of people about them. I tell people about Radiohead, The National, LCD Soundsystem, TV on the Radio ... bands I really get to enjoy.

I have moved past the point where I think about whether that's right or wrong. I'll do what I can to help the bands I like, by spreading them by word-of-mouth or by buying albums or whatever.

I'll quote again, just for visual reference.

Again, so what? I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Wasn't oneblood's point more or less that it sort of is our right in a sense?

I'm honestly 100% at a loss as to how you're unable to understand what I'm saying.

Let's just leave it as you're unsure what my point has to do with anything and you can tell yourself that I am not overly bright and don't know what I'm talking about, it's better that way.

I have moved past the point where I think about whether that's right or wrong. I'll do what I can to help the bands I like, by spreading them by word-of-mouth or by buying albums or whatever.

Buying their albums is really the type of help they most need.

And if you can afford to buy certain albums, then don't pretend that you'd never listen to music. It doesn't suit you.

\Of course someone isn't going to go into a record store and steal cds. That's just being a dumb thief, no?

He's not talking about it from a "you wouldn't do it because you're more likely to get caught" standpoint. He's saying you wouldn't do it because to actually physically steal something from a store like that makes it much more real.

I think. I have no idea. You spill Jack and Coke in my collar and I melt like a witch and scream, "I'm so sorry for everything!"

I'm honestly 100% at a loss as to how you're unable to understand what I'm saying.

Let's just leave it as you're unsure what my point has to do with anything and you can tell yourself that I am not overly bright and don't know what I'm talking about, it's better that way.

Or just could just take the 5 seconds it took you to write this and fucking elaborate on your "oh-so-crystal-clear point."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom