The Beatles Remastered - Page 65 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #961
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,694
Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
Greatest count-in in the history of rock music?

 
One, two, three, fah!
I Saw Her Standing There


Well, that's just my opinion anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
I'm also fond of the coughing, muddled, just took a hit of some shit, 1-2-3-4 count-in to "Taxman"
the 1-2-3-4 at the beginning of Sgt Pepper’s Reprise is pretty sweet as well....
__________________

__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #962
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,065
Local Time: 01:54 PM
In regards to Paul's singing and certain latter day songs, I enjoy them. His vocals don't sound forced; he did it that way on purpose. He was accused at times of being too soft, the Beatle that came up with all the sappy ballads. What he's doing on songs like Helter Skelter and Oh Darling is saying, "Fine, you think I always sound squeaky clean and predictable? Well, fuck off and listen to this..."

As for the novelty and old-time bits that he's done, they are good songs. Would I want an entire album of them? Not a chance in hell, but having a song like Maxwell's Silver Hammer on the same album (not to mention the same LP side) as I Want You (She's So Heavy) is just so bizarre, such a stark contrast in music style, that it shows just how truly creative and diverse these guys were, and how it all worked so brilliantly when put together.
__________________

__________________
phanan is online now  
Old 09-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #963
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,694
Local Time: 01:54 PM
Maxwell's Silver Hammer is an awesome song - it's about a dude who murders people with a fucking hammer, I mean, what could be cooler than that? It was of course, very topical back in the late 60's when Great Britain had a rash of HAMMER CRIME!

That being said, I would say Paul is my 3rd favourite Beatle and I agree with Laz on a lot of what he has to say when it comes to the vocals.
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Old 09-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #964
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I'm your huckleberry.

Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #965
War Child
 
DevilsShoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 760
Local Time: 07:54 PM
Oh Darling's a real belter so I forgive Paul for sounding a little forced here and there. Overall, I think he pulled it off very well indeed, I don't necessarily believe that John would have done a better job.

Abbey Road is a little inconsistent, Maxwell's Silver Hammer and parts of the medley are pretty patchy IMO, but the good far outweighs the bad. The contrasting styles to be found are astounding. We go from the sleek menance of Come Together through the sunlit optimism of Here Comes The Sun to the breezy nonchalance of Octopus's Garden.

Can you even imagine a band nowadays getting their drummer to sing such a carefree and lightweight number? They wouldn't dare go there for fear of the ridicule they would earn. Yet The Beatles made it work and somehow their credibility remained firmly intact. Quite remarkable!

Oh and I've always loved I Want You. How long is that song? 7-8 minutes? And it only has two lines, which are repeated time and time again. Yet its consistently compelling IMO. No matter how many times he sings the title, Lennon always manages to find a different variation on it.
__________________
DevilsShoes is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #966
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Maxwell's Silver Hammer is an awesome song - it's about a dude who murders people with a fucking hammer, I mean, what could be cooler than that?
A song about murdering people with a musket.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #967
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,694
Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
a song about murdering people with a musket.
UTAH JUSTICE!


fcl!
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #968
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 10:54 AM
As for my favourite and least favourite of the Beatles, I think that's impossible for me to say. I know Ringo comes in last. Paul, John, and George are all quite equal, though. Probably just due to sheer output, Paul and John are a rung above George.
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #969
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I live in NH. No sales tax here.
Well shit. I probably could have saved $13 if I'd driven to Oregon. Of course, I'd have made up for it in gas.
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #970
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,011
Local Time: 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
In regards to Paul's singing and certain latter day songs, I enjoy them. His vocals don't sound forced; he did it that way on purpose. He was accused at times of being too soft, the Beatle that came up with all the sappy ballads. What he's doing on songs like Helter Skelter and Oh Darling is saying, "Fine, you think I always sound squeaky clean and predictable? Well, fuck off and listen to this..."
Do you know what "forced" means? What you wrote above is exactly WHY his vocals sound forced at times. He's trying way too hard to prove something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
As for the novelty and old-time bits that he's done, they are good songs. Would I want an entire album of them? Not a chance in hell, but having a song like Maxwell's Silver Hammer on the same album (not to mention the same LP side) as I Want You (She's So Heavy) is just so bizarre, such a stark contrast in music style, that it shows just how truly creative and diverse these guys were, and how it all worked so brilliantly when put together.
I agree, it is an indication of their range, but my problem is that Paul seems to do the same thing, over and over. What if he had a reggae song on each album. Wouldn't that get old quick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsShoes View Post
Oh Darling's a real belter so I forgive Paul for sounding a little forced here and there. Overall, I think he pulled it off very well indeed, I don't necessarily believe that John would have done a better job.
I think he would have. Listen to Lennon on Twist & Shout and tell me he's not a better fit for this type of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsShoes View Post
Oh and I've always loved I Want You. How long is that song? 7-8 minutes? And it only has two lines, which are repeated time and time again. Yet its consistently compelling IMO. No matter how many times he sings the title, Lennon always manages to find a different variation on it.
This we can agree on. And I also love how Ringo's drumming changes with each section. And the parts where Paul gets to do his little bass lick is just so sweet.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #971
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,505
Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Are you a level 43 Paladin?

43...is that a south park joke? because it's going to go over my head when i say pffft, my paladin is almost 68
__________________
IWasBored is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #972
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 10:54 AM
I'm thinking about putting a Top 15 together.

Tomorrow Never Knows will be #1, this I can reveal.

Am I going to get flamed when Norwegian Wood appears on my list? Cos it likely will.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #973
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,694
Local Time: 01:54 PM
not by me, love that tune
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Old 09-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #974
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
43...is that a south park joke? because it's going to go over my head when i say pffft, my paladin is almost 68
Completely arbitrary number I made up, I had no clue how high levels go. Are you really a Paladin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I'm thinking about putting a Top 15 together.

Tomorrow Never Knows will be #1, this I can reveal.

Am I going to get flamed when Norwegian Wood appears on my list? Cos it likely will.
If someone does flame you for it, they're a horse's ass.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #975
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 10:54 AM
I only ask because in looking over everyone's lists, I did not see it listed one time, unless I missed it. Was wondering if it was uncool to like that song, or too obvious, or whatever the fuck. Or maybe some people simply do not like the tune. That song is one of the first Beatles songs I can remember, and it's stuck with me all these years.
__________________

__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
the beatles

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com