The Beatles Remastered - Page 64 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #946
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Unpopular musical opinions

Just...well I don't even know what to say about that post. It speaks for itself.
I cannot stand many of the covers on the ATU soundtrack. Example: the shrieking from Dana Fuchs! In fact I deleted more than half the ATU songs from my itunes so that they don't keep coming in a Beatles shuffle.

Also, that guy says GNR without Slash is better?? Please... Slash added the real meat to songs like Don't Cry, November Rain, Estranged and Sweet Child O' Mine! Slash had more value to GNR than Axl himself. (though I do prefer Axl's vocals over VR's Scott Weiland's) /offtopic
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #947
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 01:19 PM
Greatest count-in in the history of rock music?

 
One, two, three, fah!
I Saw Her Standing There


Well, that's just my opinion anyways.
__________________

__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:29 AM   #948
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
I cannot stand many of the covers on the ATU soundtrack. Example: the shrieking from Dana Fuchs! In fact I deleted more than half the ATU songs from my itunes so that they don't keep coming in a Beatles shuffle.
You do realize you can simply select a quantity of songs and edit them so that they don't come up in shuffle, right?
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 AM   #949
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,289
Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
Greatest count-in in the history of rock music?

 
One, two, three, fah!
I Saw Her Standing There


Well, that's just my opinion anyways.
I'm also fond of the coughing, muddled, just took a hit of some shit, 1-2-3-4 count-in to "Taxman"
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #950
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
I cannot stand many of the covers on the ATU soundtrack. Example: the shrieking from Dana Fuchs! In fact I deleted more than half the ATU songs from my itunes so that they don't keep coming in a Beatles shuffle.
She was an abomination.

I do prefer Carpio's I Want to Hold Your Hand to the original, for some fucking odd reason.

It could be my love of Asian chicks or lesbians or asian lesbians, but mostly (in all seriousness) it's because I love the arrangement.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 AM   #951
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,011
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Here, you say that You Never Give Me Your Money sounds finished, but before you said it sounded like it was built from several songs - which one is it? You could make the argument that You Never Give Me Your Money itself is a medley of unfinished songs.
Well that's certainly what Happiness Is A Warm Gun was. It's a known fact. I haven't read the same thing about McCartney's song. Something can SOUND like it's built from several different songs AND be finished. The point is that it doesn't sound like a fragment of a full song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
About the whole album being considered a medley - that exact thought occurred to me when I typed that out, that using those definitions, any album could be considered a medley. But no one is going to make that argument. While I maintain that you don't need segues between every song to make it a medley, you do need something that connects it all together. And yes, the reprise of You Never Give Me Your Money does that for me; like I said, what other reason was there for that? There's also the fact the Beatles themselves have said that the medley starts with You Never Give Me Your Money.

I don't think we're going to agree on this.
No, we're not. And my original point wasn't to determine what The Beatles or the consensus thought the medley included. It was that realistically, it's dumb to consider it as part of that section because of its length, and because of how weakly (if at all ) it transitions to the next song. Which is weird, because the next four DEFINITELY sound like they're meant to be together, and were mixed to that end.

I don't think a shout out automatically makes it part of the medley. It's a single bit of evidence that, compared to everything else against it, doesn't make a convincing case. Hell, George says "we all know Obla dibla da" during Savoy Truffle; it doesn't connect those two songs, nor is there one between the two songs with "Honey Pie" in the title.

As for no one making the claim about a whole album being a medley, isn't that part of what a concept album is? Or something with even a looser conceit like Sgt. Pepper's, which has a reprise of its first track right before the big finale?
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #952
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
You do realize you can simply select a quantity of songs and edit them so that they don't come up in shuffle, right?
You mean edit the title, artist etc?

Eh anyway I did not like those covers too much, so I deleted them.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 AM   #953
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,011
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Finally put on The White Album. Man, the bass and drums just sound so amazing on Dear Prudence, and on Glass Onion the bass is like a little insect burrowing and scratching into your skull. And I mean that in a good way.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:50 AM   #954
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
on Glass Onion the bass is like a little insect burrowing and scratching into your skull. And I mean that in a good way.


Reminded me of the insect in Boner's ear and if you scratch it won't disappear.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 03:59 AM   #955
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,011
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Clapton should get more than a liner notes mention. He should be listed as a guest musician right under the lyrics for While My Guitar. I mean, he just shreds in that song. And it's not like he can get in trouble with the record company now after all those years.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 04:33 AM   #956
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,011
Local Time: 11:19 AM
Alright, the guy who played fiddle on Don't Pass Me By deserves the same billing as Clapton. Great work, and he practically makes the song. It's not like I never noticed the fiddle before, but it just sounds fucking fantastic now.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #957
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,065
Local Time: 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I hate McCartney the least of everyone in this thread.
Except for me and LM.
__________________
phanan is online now  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #958
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,065
Local Time: 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Ours had a display in the very front of the store, with correct pricing. Of course, when I got there, of all the albums, fucking Please Please Me was sold out. So I bought 13. Which meant I didn't utilize it just right. I'm gonna buy my wife a copy of Abbey Road though when Please Please Me comes in again, if it's this week. But I can't complain too much, because I get my discount. $131.70 after usage of gift cards. Another $11.70 when I get Please Please Me. And all this leads me to believe one thing: sales tax must be less where you are than here.
I live in NH. No sales tax here.
__________________
phanan is online now  
Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #959
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,952
Local Time: 05:19 AM
Wow, this thread is relentless....a splendid read...love it.

For the record, No Spoken Words, just play them when ya get home I reckon. From my experience, one can't (and probably shouldn't), commit their full attentive hearing to music whilst driving. Might as just kick back on ya bed at home for half an hour and listen to 'em. Still take the discs on the trip though, it would be wicked fun to listen to the entire catalogue as a driving experience.


I've always found Abbey Road to be a tad overrated, but my favourite Beatles era is Revolver-Pepper-MMT, so maybe I'm not really capable of sharing the same appreciation for it.

So White got a 10 from Pitchfork. I was actually anticipating, in light of the high scores of the first 5 albums, that only that and Let it Be would fail to crack the 10.

Still dunno whether to pick up the albums individually or get the sexy box.

Wild Honey Pie, I'll be in a minority here, but I find it enjoyable. Wouldn't want the song to stretch any more the 50 seconds or so that it does, but it chugs along well and it has it's place. It might as well just be a fragment of Rev 9, which discounts in recognisibility as a "song", but it's pleasing enough.

Listened to the BBC sessions CD today, which was first released in '95 I think. "I'll Be On My Way" is on there, gorgeous early Beatles song, always found it charming...they gave it away to one of their contempories back then, as they did back then, but it really is wonderfully breezy....
__________________
intedomine is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #960
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
Wild Honey Pie, I'll be in a minority here, but I find it enjoyable. Wouldn't want the song to stretch any more the 50 seconds or so that it does, but it chugs along well and it has it's place. It might as well just be a fragment of Rev 9, which discounts in recognisibility as a "song", but it's pleasing enough.
How did I know?
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
the beatles

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com