The Beatles Remastered - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #886
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Also, since we're talking about Golden Slumbers, what the FUCK is Macca doing during that "smiles AWAAAAAKE you when you rise" part? Is that scratchy, guttural vocal really appropriate here? No. As usual, forced.
I totally know what you mean about that bit of the vocal, but I don't think it's ever really bothered me. To be honest, though, I don't get too nitpicky about vocals on the Beatles records. I don't know why, considering how closely I've listened to them for so long.

What I do love, however, is the version of If I Fell where Paul's voice cracks on one of the "...was in vaaaaaain" bits. I don't think that's on the version of Hard Day's Night I have - is it on the remaster? I think it's funny, but also love how unpolished it is. I'm sorry most versions you hear are the corrected version, or retake, however they fixed it.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #887
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't have a problem with his vocals, so it's hard for me to give a long reply.

No issues, simple as that.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #888
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:08 PM
Quote:
Any comment on the Money vocals? Especially the Al Jolson-esque part. I wonder if he was in blackface when he recorded it.
That one doesn't really bother me, even the sequence you dislike. It's hard for me to lump it in with his "Honey Pie" and "Silver Hammer" shit.

This guy would probably like it more had he been in blackface:

Quote:
Agreed on both counts. It would totally ruin the transition between Mustard and Pam, and yet at the end it's a bit of a goof. But perhaps it's better they ended on a note of levity, I don't know. Think of it as a bonus track.
Levity is fine, but considering this was their swan song, the finality of "The End" couldn't have been more fitting. It doesn't bother me as much when listening to it as it does when considering the album's place in their history as the last thing we heard.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #889
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
This guy would probably like it more had he been in blackface:

Oh shit, that scene...I know it was somewhat normal for the time, but I was still cringing.

And, um, Paul's vocals...I can't say I have too many problems either. It's obvious he's imitating his influences a lot, but it happens. His voice itself doesn't bother me at all.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #890
Blue Crack Supplier

Same here. Just kept telling myself to keep it in context.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #891
Blue Crack Addict

I end up telling myself that quite often with that show.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #892
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
I end up telling myself that quite often with that show.
I'm sure. It's a testament to how good it is that we watch these things that make us uncomfortable and enjoy the show anyway.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #893
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I'm sure. It's a testament to how good it is that we watch these things that make us uncomfortable and enjoy the show anyway.
Particularly as a woman, I might add. We take a good beating on there. It's so true though, definitely the mark of a great show.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #894
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Particularly as a woman, I might add. We take a good beating on there. It's so true though, definitely the mark of a great show.
Oh, definitely. The misogyny is astounding.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #895
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Does anyone have any opinion about which albums are improved the most by the remasters? I know similar treatments were applied to all, but as I am a fan of all of their music, I want to know what others think is the best improvement on the previous offerings.

I only have Help! so far, and the separation is striking. Listening on good headphones is a treat for the ears
Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #896
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Who the fuck has said it's all one medley? Did I miss something here? I thought this was common knowledge; the remasters didn't change that or anything, it's been that way all fucking long.
I think he was addressing more or less the common perception that the 2nd half is all one song. I was listening to it today and thought the same thing.

Hell, I'd say the second half of Disc 1 of The White Album, starting with "Happiness" works as a better collection of cohesive tracks than the end of Abbey Road.

McCartney's "granny music," as Lennon so lovingly put it, is starting to grate on me after revisiting the rest of the catalogue, too. "Your Mother Should Know" and "Baby You're a Rich Man" sound so out-of-place on Magical Mystery Tour that it's insane.

"Blue Jay Way," on the other hand, completely floored me.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #897
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Does anyone have any opinion about which albums are improved the most by the remasters? I know similar treatments were applied to all, but as I am a fan of all of their music, I want to know what others think is the best improvement on the previous offerings.

I only have Help! so far, and the separation is striking. Listening on good headphones is a treat for the ears
I haven't heard the remasters yet, so I've no opinion. Would be interested to hear what others say to this, though.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 AM   #898
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Hell, I'd say the second half of Disc 1 of The White Album, starting with "Happiness" works as a better collection of cohesive tracks than the end of Abbey Road.

McCartney's "granny music," as Lennon so lovingly put it, is starting to grate on me after revisiting the rest of the catalogue, too. "Your Mother Should Know" and "Baby You're a Rich Man" sound so out-of-place on Magical Mystery Tour that it's insane.

"Blue Jay Way," on the other hand, completely floored me.
Good...good...

Although Baby You're A Rich Man is a Lennon song, punk.

I also came around to Blue Jay Way, and was thinking "where the fuck has this song been hiding?" Also, Old Brown Shoe on Past Masters Vol. 2, which starts out weak but really picks up and finishes strong.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 AM   #899
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh, I'm afraid the albums will be perfectly remastered when your friends arrive.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #900
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
Good...good...

Although Baby You're A Rich Man is a Lennon song, punk.

I also came around to Blue Jay Way, and was thinking "where the fuck has this song been hiding?" Also, Old Brown Shoe on Past Masters Vol. 2, which starts out weak but really picks up and finishes strong.
Wow, holy shit, felt like a Paul track to me. I still say it sounds totally out-of-place in relation to the rest of the album.

I've never listened to "Old Brown Shoe," but that's what the remasters are for.

It's not that I dislike McCartney all of a sudden, it's more of an understanding that he has such a limited interest in the type of music he wants to pursue (especially when considering his Wings material), and to me, seems afraid to take risks the same way that John, and to some extent, George would. Sure, "Blackbird" is a pretty song, but it doesn't have the soul of a similar John ballad like "Julia," for instance.

Tags
the beatles