The Beatles Remastered - Page 58 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #856
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:39 AM
He's William Shatner, actually.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #857
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:39 AM
As good as these remasters are, I still wish we had remixes too.

A song such as Taxman needs it.

And Eleanor Rigby on here pales in comparison to the remixed version found on the 1999 version of Yellow Submarine.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #858
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I've got 2 weeks left at the job, so, I elected to show restraint. More fool me.

They're gonna get dropped as my FB friend, though. That'll show 'em.
You should tie him to a chair and beat him... until there's blood in his stool. And at the going away party, touch his wife's boobies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
As good as these remasters are, I still wish we had remixes too.

A song such as Taxman needs it.

And Eleanor Rigby on here pales in comparison to the remixed version found on the 1999 version of Yellow Submarine.
How does it differ?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #859
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
How does it differ?
The original stereo mix, which has been remastered here, has Paul's vocal start in the center when he's singing "Look at all the lonely people", and then moves to the right when he says Eleanor for the first time. It moves back to the center when he gets to the line "All the lonely people, where do they all come from?" and then moves back to the right for the second verse.

And back and forth we go. It sounded like shit then, and despite the improved sound quality, sounds like shit now. In fact, I think it stands out even more because of the remastering.

The 1999 remaster centers Paul's vocal throughout, and it sounds perfect with the string quartet that way.

This is one song where, if you didn't have the 1999 remaster, and you had to choose between stereo and mono, you'd go with mono.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #860
Blue Crack Addict

That being said, Tomorrow Never Knows has never sounded better. Wow.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #861
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:39 AM
After listening to Abbey Road, I'm still of the belief that it's overrated, and would probably list it as my 4th or 5th favorite Beatoffs album.

The McCartney two-fer of Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Oh! Darling is just ridiculous, the former yet ANOTHER example of Macca's obsession with old-timey music, and the latter WAY out of his vocal comfort zone (something that Lennon was astute enough to recognize and point out to his bandmate to no avail). The music on Oh! Darling is great but I just find the singing too forced.

Not sure if putting Ringo's track in the #4 slot is a good idea. It's a nice little tune, but a trifle, and should have somehow been worked into the medley, or something.

Also, NOT a fan of the Moog. Considering how NOT dated most of the band's music is, this just sounds cheesy. At times at works, at times it's head-smacking. Does Here Comes The Sun really benefit from its presence? No, it doesn't.

You Never Give Me Your Money. There's some good stuff here. Unfortunately, this song is like Frankenstein, seemingly built from several songs, which tonally don't really go together (unlike the similar Happiness is a Warm Gun, which works). At its worst it sounds more like Wings than the Beatles, and then you have (ONCE AGAIN) the old-timey stuff, that little saloon-sounding part where McCartney, AGAIN with a forced vocal sings that "Out of college, money spent, see no future, pay no rent, All the money's gone, nowhere to go" in what in all honesty sounds like some kind of minstrel show bullshit. It's embarrassing, but I'll bet the Macca apologists think it's cute. Having said that, I like the end with the "1,2,3,4,5,6,7..." bit.

And here's another thing. This is supposed to be part of "The Medley"? How the fuck is that possible? The song is TWICE as long as anything else in there, and it does not IN ANY WAY segue into Sun King. I call bullshit.

Secondly, even "The Medley" isn't just one medley. Are you telling me that there's not a clear break between Bathroom Window and Golden Slumbers? Because there is. Dead air, total stylistic shift, whatever. Also, since we're talking about Golden Slumbers, what the FUCK is Macca doing during that "smiles AWAAAAAKE you when you rise" part? Is that scratchy, guttural vocal really appropriate here? No. As usual, forced. And a shame because the rest is so nicely done. I could also argue it's a weak knockoff of Lennon's Good Night, but I'll let that slide.

This album isn't perfect. It's far from it. The high points are very, very high, but with that gaping wound in the middle of side one (where most great albums tend to peak), and Macca overplaying his hand on side two, I just can't see how this is their masterpiece.

/rant
Old 09-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #862
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:39 PM
My God, Laz... your hate for Paul knows no bounds I think.

My only beef with Abbey Road is Come Together. I think it pales in comparison to everything else.

But I hear what you're saying about the medley. To me, it doesn't really start till Sun King. Aaand it gets broken for Golden Slumbers.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #863
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
My only beef with Abbey Road is Come Together. I think it pales in comparison to everything else.
Wow.

The rhythm section alone on this song is one of the best things on the album.

I appreciate your recognition of my medley classification, but feel free to also reply to any of my Macca complaints. I'm not just name-calling for kicks.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #864
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post

A warning, though. They were almost out of certain titles.
I got the last of 4 or 5 different albums. Luckily though, all 14 were acquired.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #865
Refugee

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Its the day after!
So who has bought the Beatles package??
I am still at work but tomorrow morning I will be buying my Stereo-Limited edition box.
Can´t wait to check out the new re-mastered versions.

The Beatles are still my favourite band ever...sorry, U2 does come first place tho, but without the Beatles, there might have not been a U2, or many other bands. So the
Beatles rock!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #866
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I got the last of 4 or 5 different albums.
I imagine that's because a lot of Utahians like to have a couple backups at the house, if you get my meaning.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #867
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
And here's another thing. This is supposed to be part of "The Medley"? How the fuck is that possible? The song is TWICE as long as anything else in there, and it does not IN ANY WAY segue into Sun King. I call bullshit.

Secondly, even "The Medley" isn't just one medley. Are you telling me that there's not a clear break between Bathroom Window and Golden Slumbers? Because there is. Dead air, total stylistic shift, whatever.
Who the fuck has said it's all one medley? Did I miss something here? I thought this was common knowledge; the remasters didn't change that or anything, it's been that way all fucking long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
Zoots
Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #868
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I got the last of 4 or 5 different albums. Luckily though, all 14 were acquired.

Nicely done.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #869
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_theHitman View Post
Its the day after!
So who has bought the Beatles package??
I am still at work but tomorrow morning I will be buying my Stereo-Limited edition box.
Can´t wait to check out the new re-mastered versions.

The Beatles are still my favourite band ever...sorry, U2 does come first place tho, but without the Beatles, there might have not been a U2, or many other bands. So the
Beatles rock!
A few people in here bought everything today.

Mine arrive tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy the remasters!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #870
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:39 PM
I got home from work last night bummed that I had to work until 7:30pm and couldn't get to the shops.

I had a lovely little package on the kitchen bench in my sights. Turns out my lovely fiance run out on her lunch break and bought me Help! (she knows me so well!).

all I have to say is

The mini-docos are a bit disappointing, but still, the music is incredible

Tags
the beatles