The Beatles Remastered - Page 56 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #826
Refugee
 
monkeyskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,487
Local Time: 02:57 AM
Fuck, even I knew that...

Got Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road. The doubles can wait until next payday methinks.

Thank God crates of lager are cheap these days as between these and a sudden surge of interesting cinema this month my funds are running low.

Hmm, on that note, which is more worth the money? A remastered Beatles album or 20 bottles of lager (both £10)?
__________________

__________________
monkeyskin is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #827
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,991
Local Time: 06:57 PM
This has got to be one of the biggest reaches I've ever read in music criticism, from the Pitchfork review of Sgt. Pepper's:

"and for such a modern record, the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's is oddly conservative in places: "Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" takes inspiration from a Victorian-era carnival; "When I'm 64" is a music-hall parody that fantasizes about what it would be like to be the Beatles' grandparents' age; "Fixing a Hole" has a rather mundane domestic setting; the fantasy girl in "Lovely Rita" is a cop."

Umm, okay, dude. These guys were tripping balls, and I don't know how a circus song made up of tape loops and splicing is "conservative" just because it's an old-timey circus. And no way in fucking hell that Fixing A Hole isn't drug-inspired. And Lovely Rita is about wanting to FUCK a female cop, not sure how conservative that is.

Jackass.
__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #828
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Also, a major FAIL for not including "A splendid time is guaranteed for all" in the Sgt. Pepper's booklet, and yes, it was in the 1987 CD release. How could you forget that?
I am SOOOOOOOOOO with you, on this. Unbelievable. Also, while I really enjoy the mostly faithful recreations of the LP packaging, it all gets fucked up by two things.

A) The third sleeve/foldout/whatever, which is entirely useless. Why not just recreated a gatefold and slip the liners into the front sleeve? Very silly, and that'd be the closest to the original packaging. Not perfect, since not all of these were gatefolds, but still, if nothing else, a lot less clumsy.

2) As you mentioned, laz, the absurd amount of extra copy, on the backs of the albums. It looks hopelessly cluttered, and I believe that the packaging on each record lacks the original year of release. Absolutely absurd.

In excellent news, though, the woman who rang me up accidentally gave me a $10 gift card to go along with the $5 ones. Brilliant.
__________________
If you shout... is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #829
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
This has got to be one of the biggest reaches I've ever read in music criticism, from the Pitchfork review of Sgt. Pepper's:

"and for such a modern record, the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's is oddly conservative in places: "Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" takes inspiration from a Victorian-era carnival; "When I'm 64" is a music-hall parody that fantasizes about what it would be like to be the Beatles' grandparents' age; "Fixing a Hole" has a rather mundane domestic setting; the fantasy girl in "Lovely Rita" is a cop."

Umm, okay, dude. These guys were tripping balls, and I don't know how a circus song made up of tape loops and splicing is "conservative" just because it's an old-timey circus. And no way in fucking hell that Fixing A Hole isn't drug-inspired. And Lovely Rita is about wanting to FUCK a female cop, not sure how conservative that is.

Jackass.
There are like 4-5 things on interference I truly cherish, and you going off on Pitchfork now and then makes the list. Does not matter if I agree or not, it's just the venom in your comments that I adore.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #830
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,286
Local Time: 09:57 PM
How long is this $5 gift card thing going to last?
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #831
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,700
Local Time: 06:57 PM
Ha!

Chuck Klosterman Repeats The Beatles | Music | A.V. Club

__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #832
Blue Crack Addict
 
onebloodonelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,106
Local Time: 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
How long is this $5 gift card thing going to last?
The sale price goes until the 12th, so my guess is that, but maybe tourist can give us a real answer.

I was only able to pick up Sgt. Pepper's, Rubber Soul, With the Beatles, and Let It Be by the time I got there at noon.
__________________
onebloodonelife is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #833
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,991
Local Time: 06:57 PM
I do have to give them major props for the Magical Mystery Tour booklet, though. The old CD just had a folded insert, with none of the original album's artwork. This has all the illustrations and some cool stills from the film. It's inspired me to "acquire" the television special, which I'm not sure I've ever seen all the way through, strangely enough.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #834
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 08:57 PM
Don't get your hopes up about that Magical Mystery Tour film, laz. Shit is hilariously bad, with an emphasis on hilarious.
__________________
If you shout... is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #835
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 09:57 PM
Damn, take away a couple of covers that don't work and Beatles For Sale is killer.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #836
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,991
Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Don't get your hopes up about that Magical Mystery Tour film, laz. Shit is hilariously bad, with an emphasis on hilarious.
Well, I'm not expecting it to be as good as this:

ZOMG HE IZ SO BETTAR THAN HIS OVERATID DAD!!!1!!1!
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #837
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 06:57 PM
If this keeps up, perhaps Laz's furor over The Shouter's Lennon v Lennon statement will eclipse my mirth over the Pitchforkian rants.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #838
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I do have to give them major props for the Magical Mystery Tour booklet, though. The old CD just had a folded insert, with none of the original album's artwork. This has all the illustrations and some cool stills from the film. It's inspired me to "acquire" the television special, which I'm not sure I've ever seen all the way through, strangely enough.
Good to hear they included it. I only recently finally got it on vinyl after finding one with a completely intact booklet. Gots to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Damn, take away a couple of covers that don't work and Beatles For Sale is killer.
Definitely. Love it.
__________________
impy13 is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #839
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 08:57 PM
Is it really so great a crime to prefer Valotte to Milk And Honey? And of course the film isn't going to be as good as "Too Late For Goodbyes." Very little is.
__________________
If you shout... is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #840
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,700
Local Time: 06:57 PM
Valotte is a beautiful, beautiful song. Nice to see it getting some appreciation here. I wish I still had the sheet music for it.

I only ever knew Too Late For Goodbyes and the title song from the album, though, so I can't speak to the rest of the album.
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
the beatles

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com