The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greatest count-in in the history of rock music?

One, two, three, fah!
I Saw Her Standing There

Well, that's just my opinion anyways.

I'm also fond of the coughing, muddled, just took a hit of some shit, 1-2-3-4 count-in to "Taxman"

the 1-2-3-4 at the beginning of Sgt Pepper’s Reprise is pretty sweet as well....

In regards to Paul's singing and certain latter day songs, I enjoy them. His vocals don't sound forced; he did it that way on purpose. He was accused at times of being too soft, the Beatle that came up with all the sappy ballads. What he's doing on songs like Helter Skelter and Oh Darling is saying, "Fine, you think I always sound squeaky clean and predictable? Well, fuck off and listen to this..."

As for the novelty and old-time bits that he's done, they are good songs. Would I want an entire album of them? Not a chance in hell, but having a song like Maxwell's Silver Hammer on the same album (not to mention the same LP side) as I Want You (She's So Heavy) is just so bizarre, such a stark contrast in music style, that it shows just how truly creative and diverse these guys were, and how it all worked so brilliantly when put together.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer is an awesome song - it's about a dude who murders people with a fucking hammer, I mean, what could be cooler than that? It was of course, very topical back in the late 60's when Great Britain had a rash of HAMMER CRIME!

That being said, I would say Paul is my 3rd favourite Beatle and I agree with Laz on a lot of what he has to say when it comes to the vocals.

I'm your huckleberry.

CopyofJohnnyRingo1.jpg

Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?

Oh Darling's a real belter so I forgive Paul for sounding a little forced here and there. Overall, I think he pulled it off very well indeed, I don't necessarily believe that John would have done a better job.

Abbey Road is a little inconsistent, Maxwell's Silver Hammer and parts of the medley are pretty patchy IMO, but the good far outweighs the bad. The contrasting styles to be found are astounding. We go from the sleek menance of Come Together through the sunlit optimism of Here Comes The Sun to the breezy nonchalance of Octopus's Garden.

Can you even imagine a band nowadays getting their drummer to sing such a carefree and lightweight number? They wouldn't dare go there for fear of the ridicule they would earn. Yet The Beatles made it work and somehow their credibility remained firmly intact. Quite remarkable!

Oh and I've always loved I Want You. How long is that song? 7-8 minutes? And it only has two lines, which are repeated time and time again. Yet its consistently compelling IMO. No matter how many times he sings the title, Lennon always manages to find a different variation on it.

As for my favourite and least favourite of the Beatles, I think that's impossible for me to say. I know Ringo comes in last. Paul, John, and George are all quite equal, though. Probably just due to sheer output, Paul and John are a rung above George.

In regards to Paul's singing and certain latter day songs, I enjoy them. His vocals don't sound forced; he did it that way on purpose. He was accused at times of being too soft, the Beatle that came up with all the sappy ballads. What he's doing on songs like Helter Skelter and Oh Darling is saying, "Fine, you think I always sound squeaky clean and predictable? Well, fuck off and listen to this..."

Do you know what "forced" means? What you wrote above is exactly WHY his vocals sound forced at times. He's trying way too hard to prove something.

As for the novelty and old-time bits that he's done, they are good songs. Would I want an entire album of them? Not a chance in hell, but having a song like Maxwell's Silver Hammer on the same album (not to mention the same LP side) as I Want You (She's So Heavy) is just so bizarre, such a stark contrast in music style, that it shows just how truly creative and diverse these guys were, and how it all worked so brilliantly when put together.

I agree, it is an indication of their range, but my problem is that Paul seems to do the same thing, over and over. What if he had a reggae song on each album. Wouldn't that get old quick?

Oh Darling's a real belter so I forgive Paul for sounding a little forced here and there. Overall, I think he pulled it off very well indeed, I don't necessarily believe that John would have done a better job.

I think he would have. Listen to Lennon on Twist & Shout and tell me he's not a better fit for this type of stuff.

Oh and I've always loved I Want You. How long is that song? 7-8 minutes? And it only has two lines, which are repeated time and time again. Yet its consistently compelling IMO. No matter how many times he sings the title, Lennon always manages to find a different variation on it.

This we can agree on. And I also love how Ringo's drumming changes with each section. And the parts where Paul gets to do his little bass lick is just so sweet.

I'm thinking about putting a Top 15 together.

Tomorrow Never Knows will be #1, this I can reveal.

Am I going to get flamed when Norwegian Wood appears on my list? Cos it likely will.

43...is that a south park joke? because it's going to go over my head when i say pffft, my paladin is almost 68 :uhoh:

Completely arbitrary number I made up, I had no clue how high levels go. Are you really a Paladin?

I'm thinking about putting a Top 15 together.

Tomorrow Never Knows will be #1, this I can reveal.

Am I going to get flamed when Norwegian Wood appears on my list? Cos it likely will.

If someone does flame you for it, they're a horse's ass.

I only ask because in looking over everyone's lists, I did not see it listed one time, unless I missed it. Was wondering if it was uncool to like that song, or too obvious, or whatever the fuck. Or maybe some people simply do not like the tune. That song is one of the first Beatles songs I can remember, and it's stuck with me all these years.

I hate numbering lists but I'm generally happy with this...

1. A Day In The Life
2. Tomorrow Never Knows
3. You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away
4. Here Comes The Sun
5. Eight Days A Week
6. Nowhere Man
7. Dig A Pony
8. Dear Prudence
9. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
10. I’m Only Sleeping
11. In My Life
12. Let It Be
13. Something
14. Strawberry Fields Forever
15. Here, There and Everywhere

i've never been a huge fan of "old brown shoe." i mean, i've been trying for years to like that song, i just never really saw it as anything more than a little boring. and my radio count down thing yesterday screwed up and played it twice. almost as annoying was later when they felt the need to play both revolutions (the single and the one with the shee-do-ops) followed by number nine...

Completely arbitrary number I made up, I had no clue how high levels go. Are you really a Paladin?

If someone does flame you for it, they're a horse's ass.

until the new expansion comes out in a couple years, the highest level is 80. i have a level 80 rogue, and i have a level 67 paladin because i am a dork like that.

yeah, what mofo said. if you get flamed for that, fuck that tool who flames you. i'm currently making my way through the anthology. it's been years since i've watched anything on VHS, and i'm really wondering why i never did acquire this set when it came out on dvd however long ago that was. right now i'd say "we can work it out" is my #1, but that's only because i just heard it. this funny thing happens to me when i listen to the beatles, nearly everything (well, obviously there's a handful of tunes like wild honey pie, her majest, dig it, etc. that don't fall into this category) becomes my #1 favorite song. oh wait. paperback writer...no that's #1 now. hell, rain is playing now. fuck it, that's #1.

actually, rain and we can work it out would probably be in the top 5 if i ever did manage such a list. and i'm sure someone will want to flame me for that...

man, i really want to try making a list now, even if it makes my brain explode. yeah, because now we've got "got to get you into my life" playing. and i friggin love that song too.

Got my box set in the mail today, I love the album cases, booklets, everything about the design of it is perfect.

Listening to Please Please Me now for better or for worse :wink:

until the new expansion comes out in a couple years, the highest level is 80. i have a level 80 rogue, and i have a level 67 paladin because i am a dork like that.

yeah, what mofo said. if you get flamed for that, fuck that tool who flames you. i'm currently making my way through the anthology. it's been years since i've watched anything on VHS, and i'm really wondering why i never did acquire this set when it came out on dvd however long ago that was. right now i'd say "we can work it out" is my #1, but that's only because i just heard it. this funny thing happens to me when i listen to the beatles, nearly everything (well, obviously there's a handful of tunes like wild honey pie, her majest, dig it, etc. that don't fall into this category) becomes my #1 favorite song. oh wait. paperback writer...no that's #1 now. hell, rain is playing now. fuck it, that's #1.

actually, rain and we can work it out would probably be in the top 5 if i ever did manage such a list. and i'm sure someone will want to flame me for that...

man, i really want to try making a list now, even if it makes my brain explode. yeah, because now we've got "got to get you into my life" playing. and i friggin love that song too.

Oh, it's pretty obvious that I don't mind getting flamed, especially by the people I'm talking to directly to in here. We all get on each other's cases, it's cool. I just didn't see it on any list and was surprised.

I really am not prepared to make my list at this point. I want to give everything a fresh listen and then see what's what.

I tried watching the anthology, but my DVR fucked some of it up, and I actually think that it's not very well done, but that might be the lame ass TV exec in me talking.

You're a fucking rogue alright.

I don't think I should ever play a game like World of Warcraft, as no one would be able to pry me from it until I reached the highest level, or bored myself stiff trying. I get so addicted to that kind of grinding through levels bs. It is quite hilarious to me that you really were a paladin though, lolz and roflz, etc.

I don't like Dig A Pony nearly as much as many of the rest of you seem to, I do like it though.

I don't think I should ever play a game like World of Warcraft, as no one would be able to pry me from it until I reached the highest level, or bored myself stiff trying. I get so addicted to that kind of bs. It is quite hilarious to me that you really were a paladin though, lolz and roflz, etc.

I don't like Dig A Pony nearly as much as many of the rest of you seem to, I do like it though.

I think it's safe to say that staying away from that game is a move designed to protect my sanity.

Back in HS, when I was obviously at school during the day, had a part-time job I worked 4-5 nights a week, played basketball, stickball and football after school and on weekends with my friends, I still managed to find time to play Ultima IV on my Commodore for the better part of a year before I fucking finished that thing. It's no surprise that when I list things I was doing with my time during that period, "being with my girlfriend" does not appear. :)

Thankfully, my current gf likes video games, but like me, in moderation, lest we get lost in the games. Which almost happened with Oblivion.

Dig A Pony is a great tune but I'm not sure it'll make my 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom