The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, holy shit, felt like a Paul track to me. I still say it sounds totally out-of-place in relation to the rest of the album.

I've never listened to "Old Brown Shoe," but that's what the remasters are for.

It's not that I dislike McCartney all of a sudden, it's more of an understanding that he has such a limited interest in the type of music he wants to pursue (especially when considering his Wings material), and to me, seems afraid to take risks the same way that John, and to some extent, George would. Sure, "Blackbird" is a pretty song, but it doesn't have the soul of a similar John ballad like "Julia," for instance.

You're on a roll.

Though I'd argue at least Baby sounds more psychedelic. There's a lot of weird stuff going on in there.

Do you not put Maxwell's in the old-timey category? Because it sure sounds like it to me. Also, Honey Pie, For No One, and Martha My Dear (which for some reason I like, at least when it picks up halfway through).

You're on a roll.

Though I'd argue at least Baby sounds more psychedelic. There's a lot of weird stuff going on in there.

Do you not put Maxwell's in the old-timey category? Because it sure sounds like it to me. Also, Honey Pie, For No One, and Martha My Dear (which for some reason I like, at least when it picks up halfway through).

True, maybe I'll come around to it later.

Yes, I'd put "Maxwell" in that category, but I don't think I'd put "For No One" there. It's too sparse to fit in with something as foppish as "When I'm Sixty-Four." The Beatles scene from Walk Hard comes to mind here.

The piano hook in "Martha" always gets me.

"Wild Honey Pie" is one of the worst songs recorded by anyone. It's fucking abysmal, especially considering what didn't make the album.

"Wild Honey Pie" is one of the worst songs recorded by anyone. It's fucking abysmal, especially considering what didn't make the album.

This is hard to argue with. It sounds like the soundtrack to a nightmare of someone who is deathly afraid of clowns.

My one job with the remasters is to get the Lady Friend to overcome her dislike of the Beatles, stemming from an experience with the 1 album. Once she hears most of the post-Revolver stuff, mainly the more avant-garde work, I know she'll be down.

Ironically, it's the Paul songs like "Penny Lane" and "Hello, Goodbye" that got her disinterested.

Somehow the cloying Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da batters and dulls my senses enough that I'm able to suffer through Wild Honey Pie easier than one normally would.

There are too many places to take that. All of which I'll regret later. And to think she was close to posting on here a few times.

Anyway, literally everything on Disc 1 after Wild Shitty Pie is fantastic.

The only songs I don't like on Disc 2 are Honey Pie and Savoy Truffle, and I can deal with the latter. Long, Long, Long doesn't bug me so much as bore me.

But hey, out of 30 songs that's a pretty damned good percentage.

If Pitchfork fails to give it a 10.0 I will be down for organizing an all-out attack on their Chicago headquarters.

And Let It Be better not get higher than 9.0. Because really, it doesn't deserve more.

I was surprised you were so vocal in your dislike of "Long, Long, Long." I'm with Lance in thinking that it's a gorgeous song, and like "Happiness...," it tries to merge all of these different elements into one package. The "so many tears..." verse gets me every time. It reminds me a lot of "I'm So Tired" off of Disc 1, albeit in a more somber form.

Did they ever review Let It Be... Naked? I'm looking to get a proper version of that over the remaster of Let It Be.

There are too many places to take that. All of which I'll regret later. And to think she was close to posting on here a few times.

Anyway, literally everything on Disc 1 after Wild Shitty Pie is fantastic.

I still think her joining here had some serious comedy potential back when the idea was floated.

Yeah, I can understand how the immediacy would have made things worse.

You having a lady friend is pretty much a fact around here now, like Impy being a Texan or Lance's Mom being a complete fucking prostitute. And POWERJUICE.

Did they ever review Let It Be... Naked? I'm looking to get a proper version of that over the remaster of Let It Be.

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: The Beatles: Let It Be... Naked

My favorite part? "Paul McCartney is a smug, charmless fuck."

I may have to reconsider my Pitchfork stance. Of course, it's that fucker who trashed the second Phoenix album, so anything he/she says should be taken with a grain of salt.

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: The Beatles: Let It Be... Naked

My favorite part? "Paul McCartney is a smug, charmless fuck."

I may have to reconsider my Pitchfork stance. Of course, it's that fucker who trashed the second Phoenix album, so anything he/she says should be taken with a grain of sale.

Apart from the obvious agenda, it's a decent review. Let It Be is probably the one post-Revolver album I'm the least familiar with.

Apart from the obvious agenda, it's a decent review. Let It Be is probably the one post-Revolver album I'm the least familiar with.

This does a pretty good job of explaining what's so special about The White Album:

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: The Beatles: The Beatles

Though the same guy said "there's not one duff note" on Abbey Road, and that kind of hyperbole is just unnecessary.

burger-king-mask.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom