The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't afford getting the mono versions.

I'm through the first two albums (yes, I'm anal and going through these in chronological order). I forgot how many of these older songs I really dig. All My Loving is the perfect pop song.

I ditched the thread when people started talking about leaks, so I've been out of the loop. Are you saying that I can pick the albums up cheaper individually than doing the box set?

I ditched the thread when people started talking about leaks, so I've been out of the loop. Are you saying that I can pick the albums up cheaper individually than doing the box set?

Most definitely. The cheapest I saw the stereo box was around $180 or so.

The deal at Target, with the gift cards, ended up at $148 with one gift card remaining.

If you go to Target and buy any 2 albums, you get a $5 gift card. Rinse, lather, repeat.

I know the regular albums are going for $12, what about the doubles? $16?

That's not too bad. The 5 bucks shaves that down to the regular amount, too.

I may end up getting the pre-Rubber Soul albums someday, but not with this batch.

Sweet deal.

I lost my awesome parking spot for Magical Mystery Tour, so I'm glad it was worth it. "Blue Jay Way" in particular sounded sublime.

I was able to get all of what I wanted. They didn't even have a fancy display set-up, it wasn't even facing the main isle, just buried on one of the front racks. Also, the $11.99 price point wasn't displayed, so unless you've seen the ad you'd think it was $13.99.

The cashier, however, knew what was up. When I put my stack down she asked "Did ya get all of 'em?", and proceeded to give me a gift card for each set of two without any prodding.

I spent about 30 minutes in the car opening up half of them. A couple nitpicks: I don't like how "Mini-Documentary" is listed on the back of each album at the end of the track listing. It's tacky, and should have been printed at the bottom with an asterisk or something.

Also, a major FAIL for not including "A splendid time is guaranteed for all" in the Sgt. Pepper's booklet, and yes, it was in the 1987 CD release. How could you forget that?

Rock Band is cool, but the tracklist is ultimately lacking; and given the ease of playing it, that's an even bigger problem...I mean, there's not going to be anything left to mess around with, after a few days of serious playing. I'm sorry and I'm not trying to be a hater or a contrarian, or whatever, but it's true. You should be able to sit down and play albums in full, from start to finish. It's good. Very good. I like it. But it's fucking 45 songs, and The Beatles wrote approximately 200 more which are pretty much impossible to live without. Hopefully DLC will fix this, as time goes on.

On the potentially positive side, though, this is the first of these games which is going to place a HUGE emphasis on karaoke-style gameplay. I imagine that THAT is where the game will shine, and I can imagine this being the first truly cross-generational Guitar Hero/Rock Band game, because of this. You can "play" it at a party without getting frustrated, because who the fuck can mess up a Beatles song, you know? I am very curious about just how this game will be played, in the long run, and I am thinking that it'll be as a karaoke vehicle. Weird, wild stuff.

I was able to get all of what I wanted. They didn't even have a fancy display set-up, it wasn't even facing the main isle, just buried on one of the front racks. Also, the $11.99 price point wasn't displayed, so unless you've seen the ad you'd think it was $13.99.

The cashier, however, knew what was up. When I put my stack down she asked "Did ya get all of 'em?", and proceeded to give me a gift card for each set of two without any prodding.

I spent about 30 minutes in the car opening up half of them. A couple nitpicks: I don't like how "Mini-Documentary" is listed on the back of each album at the end of the track listing. It's tacky, and should have been printed at the bottom with an asterisk or something.

Also, a major FAIL for not including "A splendid time is guaranteed for all" in the Sgt. Pepper's booklet, and yes, it was in the 1987 CD release. How could you forget that?

Same scenario for me. You'd think they would have had at least one display near the front of the store, or at least one near the music section. There was none of that. And the sale prices weren't on any here either.

But that's typical for the big box stores like Target and Wal-Mart. It's not their specialty.

Agreed regarding the mini-documentary listed on them; it's also on the discs themselves. It would have been more than enough just providing the information within the booklet itself.

Fuck, even I knew that...

Got Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey Road. The doubles can wait until next payday methinks.

Thank God crates of lager are cheap these days as between these and a sudden surge of interesting cinema this month my funds are running low.

Hmm, on that note, which is more worth the money? A remastered Beatles album or 20 bottles of lager (both £10)?

This has got to be one of the biggest reaches I've ever read in music criticism, from the Pitchfork review of Sgt. Pepper's:

"and for such a modern record, the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's is oddly conservative in places: "Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" takes inspiration from a Victorian-era carnival; "When I'm 64" is a music-hall parody that fantasizes about what it would be like to be the Beatles' grandparents' age; "Fixing a Hole" has a rather mundane domestic setting; the fantasy girl in "Lovely Rita" is a cop."

Umm, okay, dude. These guys were tripping balls, and I don't know how a circus song made up of tape loops and splicing is "conservative" just because it's an old-timey circus. And no way in fucking hell that Fixing A Hole isn't drug-inspired. And Lovely Rita is about wanting to FUCK a female cop, not sure how conservative that is.

Jackass.

I am SOOOOOOOOOO with you, on this. Unbelievable. Also, while I really enjoy the mostly faithful recreations of the LP packaging, it all gets fucked up by two things.

A) The third sleeve/foldout/whatever, which is entirely useless. Why not just recreated a gatefold and slip the liners into the front sleeve? Very silly, and that'd be the closest to the original packaging. Not perfect, since not all of these were gatefolds, but still, if nothing else, a lot less clumsy.

2) As you mentioned, laz, the absurd amount of extra copy, on the backs of the albums. It looks hopelessly cluttered, and I believe that the packaging on each record lacks the original year of release. Absolutely absurd.

In excellent news, though, the woman who rang me up accidentally gave me a $10 gift card to go along with the $5 ones. Brilliant.

This has got to be one of the biggest reaches I've ever read in music criticism, from the Pitchfork review of Sgt. Pepper's:

"and for such a modern record, the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's is oddly conservative in places: "Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" takes inspiration from a Victorian-era carnival; "When I'm 64" is a music-hall parody that fantasizes about what it would be like to be the Beatles' grandparents' age; "Fixing a Hole" has a rather mundane domestic setting; the fantasy girl in "Lovely Rita" is a cop."

Umm, okay, dude. These guys were tripping balls, and I don't know how a circus song made up of tape loops and splicing is "conservative" just because it's an old-timey circus. And no way in fucking hell that Fixing A Hole isn't drug-inspired. And Lovely Rita is about wanting to FUCK a female cop, not sure how conservative that is.

Jackass.

There are like 4-5 things on interference I truly cherish, and you going off on Pitchfork now and then makes the list. Does not matter if I agree or not, it's just the venom in your comments that I adore.

How long is this $5 gift card thing going to last?

The sale price goes until the 12th, so my guess is that, but maybe tourist can give us a real answer.

I was only able to pick up Sgt. Pepper's, Rubber Soul, With the Beatles, and Let It Be by the time I got there at noon.

I do have to give them major props for the Magical Mystery Tour booklet, though. The old CD just had a folded insert, with none of the original album's artwork. This has all the illustrations and some cool stills from the film. It's inspired me to "acquire" the television special, which I'm not sure I've ever seen all the way through, strangely enough.

Don't get your hopes up about that Magical Mystery Tour film, laz. Shit is hilariously bad, with an emphasis on hilarious.

I do have to give them major props for the Magical Mystery Tour booklet, though. The old CD just had a folded insert, with none of the original album's artwork. This has all the illustrations and some cool stills from the film. It's inspired me to "acquire" the television special, which I'm not sure I've ever seen all the way through, strangely enough.

Good to hear they included it. I only recently finally got it on vinyl after finding one with a completely intact booklet. Gots to have it.

Damn, take away a couple of covers that don't work and Beatles For Sale is killer.

Definitely. Love it.

Is it really so great a crime to prefer Valotte to Milk And Honey? And of course the film isn't going to be as good as "Too Late For Goodbyes." Very little is.

Valotte is a beautiful, beautiful song. Nice to see it getting some appreciation here. I wish I still had the sheet music for it. :(

I only ever knew Too Late For Goodbyes and the title song from the album, though, so I can't speak to the rest of the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom