The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been re-listening to these albums for the past week and have to do some tweaking, plus I put that list together on the fly:

1. "Strawberry Fields Forever"
2. "Hey Jude"
3. "Across the Universe"
4. "Tomorrow Never Knows"
5. "A Day in the Life"
6. "Get Back"
7. "I Am the Walrus"
8. "Dear Prudence"
9. "I'm Looking Through You"
10. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (either the demo or Love versions)

Yeah... I'm happy with that.

I'm having a really hard time putting one of these together without going through and listening to their whole collection again, but I'll give it a shot.

1. Long, Long, Long
2. You Never Give Me Your Money
3. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite (LOVE version would be #1)
4. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
5. Don't Let Me Down
6. I'm Only Sleeping
7. I'm Looking Through You
8. Here Comes The Sun
9. Michelle
10. I've Just Seen a Face

It's easier to just break down 5 favorite per member, just so "Octopus' Garden" and "Good Night" get some love.

The local Wal-Mart here broke the street date.

Which in turn caused the independent music store downtown to put all of their inventory out.

So I go to Target to see what they've done.

Nothing.

I told the guy in electronics that Wal-Mart is selling it, trying to tell him that because they broke it, Target won't be held liable for bringing out their stuff, and he was all confused and didn't know what to do. I saw him talking to a manager after that, but I had to get back to work. Perhaps they will come to their senses and put the CDs out by the time I go home.

1. Long, Long, Long

I don't even know what to say to this. Not my least favorite song on The White Album, but pretty close to the bottom.

Also, with 5 Macca songs on your list, this is most definitely a FAIL.

YLB: Big mistake in dropping Happiness is a Worn John from your list.

1. Long, Long, Long
2. You Never Give Me Your Money
3. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite (LOVE version would be #1)
4. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
5. Don't Let Me Down
6. I'm Only Sleeping
7. I'm Looking Through You
8. Here Comes The Sun
9. Michelle
10. I've Just Seen a Face

I think Long, Long, Long maybe one of their most criminally underrated tunes. The little "bridge" ("so may tears...") is perfection.

I don't even know what to say to this. Not my least favorite song on The White Album, but pretty close to the bottom.

YLB: Big mistake in dropping Happiness is a Worn John from your list.

It's #11 for me, at worst.

Top 5 tracks per member (either from a songwriting or vocal perspective), go!

Paul
"Hey Jude"
"Get Back"
"Rocky Raccoon"
"The Long and Winding Road"
"For No One"

John
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Across the Universe"
"Tomorrow Never Knows"
"Happiness is a Warm Gun"
"In My Life"

George
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
"Here Comes the Sun"
"Something"
"Piggies"
"I Want to Tell You"

Ringo
"Octopus' Garden"
"Good Night"
"Don't Pass Me By"
Uh... "Octopus' Garden" two more times

Well, that's because you're a sad bitter mustached man.

If you are going by a vocal perspective as well, you wouldn't include With A Little Help From My Friends for Ringo?

Forgot about that one, thanks.

"Octopus' Garden" only one more time then.

"long, long long" is awesome.

i want to read those links or whatever info that might be located in this thread before it turned into the impy/laz/nsw and friends chat thread, but then i know i'll have to drive to the music store and spend money i don't have yet. and if i drive to the music store, i'll have to drive to the real music store (rather than best buy or something stupid like the mall) because if i'm going to be buying music, there's a bunch of other stuff and i might as well get all in one trip. there's a growing list of albums i haven't acquired, plus the clapton kick i'm currently on, and it ain't gonna be cheap in the end. that all goes back to having to wait til next pay day, and it's so far away... :grumpy:

Speaking of Good Night, I was reading one review and they specifically mentioned it as a highlight:

The biggest surprise is saved for last, and it's in the stereo treatment of Lennon's Goodnight. As crooned by Starr, the separation given to the orchestra is sublime. You're bathed in wondrous, dulcet tones as you drift off to this lullaby made for children of all ages.

Speaking of Good Night, I was reading one review and they specifically mentioned it as a highlight:

Perfect description. It's straight out of the golden age of Disney films, Pinocchio, Snow White and the like. I'd love to make a montage out of that, but those DVDs are so hard to get a hold of for cheap.

KING JOHN
Strawberry Fields Forever
Revolution (electric)
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
I Am the Walrus

GEORGE
Not Guilty
It's All Too Much
Within You Without You
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
I Me Mine

MACCA
Rocky Racoon
Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
Fixing A Hole
Hey Jude

STARKEY
Don't Pass Me By
Good Night
With A Little Help From My Friends
What Goes On (co-written AND sung by Ringo!)
Act Naturally

John
"Tomorrow Never Knows"
"Dear Prudence"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"I Am the Walrus"
"Julia"

Paul
"I Will"
"Get Back"
"Hey Jude"
"Blackbird"
"You Never Give Me Yr Money"

George
"Here Comes the Sun"
"Something"
"Blue Jay Way"
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
"Love You To"

Ringo
"Octopus's Garden"
"Good Night"
"Act Naturally"
"Don't Pass Me By"
"With a Little Help From My Friends"

I've got a few moments......

I bet a Beatles Survivor would turn out different now.

Here's my favorites in no order because it would change each day. There's no way I could make a top 10. A list of songs I don't like would be easier because there wouldn't be too many.

I Am the Walrus
Day Tripper
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Good Day Sunshine
Help!
Can't Buy Me Love
Here, There and Everywhere
Ticket To Ride
I Want to Hold Your Hand
The Night Before
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
If I Fell
Strawberry Fields Forever
We Can Work It Out
Getting Better
I'm Down
Magical Mystery Tour
Hello Goodbye
You Can't Do That
In My Life
Lovely Rita
Good Morning Good Morning
I Will
Paperback Writer
Nowhere Man
I'm a Loser
Another Girl
Tell Me Why
Please Please Me
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
I'm Happy Just to Dance with You
I'll Follow the Sun
A Day in the Life
I Saw Her Standing There
Here Comes the Sun

Wow, 35 already.

I knew I preferred the first 5 years :shrug:

Don't Pass Me By can make ears bleed, or, in terms Impy can more easily relate to, make a cow tip itself. Probably the worst thing on The White Album, and that's saying something.

Also, Revolution 9 is a song, and an extremely detailed, lovingly produced one at that. Even after hearing it dozens of times, I still hear something new every time. I love that it was included on the album, particularly in its current slot. Very wise move. So no complaints there, can't wait to hear it in all its remastered glory. Backwards and forwards.

It's certainly a stretch, but I think it qualifies. I don't think whether the lines are sampled or not has a whole hell of a lot to do with it.

It's certainly a stretch, but I think it qualifies. I don't think whether the lines are sampled or not has a whole hell of a lot to do with it.

It's not like they used sung samples to make a verse-chorus-verse format; it's just background chatter like everything else.

I'd still like someone to tell me what would disqualify something from being a song. Even most instrumentals have more structure and repetition than Revolution 9.

I'll quote from the Wiki entry: "A song is a metrical composition intended or adapted for singing, especially one in rhymed stanzas; a lyric; a ballad."

No way R9 fits into that.

John:

1. I'm Only Sleeping
2. Strawberry Fields Forever
3. I Am The Walrus
4. Ticket to Ride
5. I Feel Fine

George:

1. Taxman
2. Something
3. Love You To
4. Here Comes The Sun
5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Paul:

1. Getting Better
2. For No One
3. Hey Jude
4. Yesterday
5. Let it Be

Ringo:

1. Yellow Submarine
2. What Goes On
3. Octopussy's Garden
4. With a Little Help From My Friends
5. Good Night

I remember a while back someone thought of the idea to make a double album of solo tracks from '70-'73 into one album (may have been The Tourist, not sure), but I'd like to revisit that idea and add some Let It Be tracks in there. The original release was a lot weaker and more fragmented than I remembered.

for those paying attention to the Rock Band game:

from wikipedia:

The songs "Come Together", "Something", "Octopus's Garden", "The End", "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", and "Here Comes the Sun" will be playable songs in The Beatles: Rock Band as on-disc songs. The rest of the album will be released as downloadable content on 20 October 2009 with the full Abbey Road medley playable if the album is fully purchased.

:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom