The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the flyer, and it doesn't say anything about not getting them all at once. If that were the case, I'd do one transaction for all but two of them, and then get the last two and use the gift cards towards them. And then I'd still have a $5 GC left over.

Of course, the big thing here is what Target will have, because their inventory won't be the same as Best Buy or a music store. This whole thing will be pointless if certain titles aren't even there.

It say 14 titles in store for sure. Isn't that all of them? I asked the person in charge of entertainment about it today. She said that yes, gift cards will be given out for every two cds purchased together, be it 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, or 14. $5 GC for each set of two.

It's one of those "It must be too good to be true, but fuck, it really is true!" times. Target, unlike various other music retailers, sell music rather cheaply with the hope that you'll buy other things while you're there. Then again, because I work there, I kinda hate it because of that whole familiarity breeding contempt mumbo jumbo.

It say 14 titles in store for sure. Isn't that all of them? I asked the person in charge of entertainment about it today. She said that yes, gift cards will be given out for every two cds purchased together, be it 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, or 14. $5 GC for each set of two.

Wow, that's fantastic. I guess I know where I'll be going on Wednesday then. Hopefully I can sneak away from work on my lunch break to go pick them up.

It's one of those "It must be too good to be true, but fuck, it really is true!" times. Target, unlike various other music retailers, sell music rather cheaply with the hope that you'll buy other things while you're there. Then again, because I work there, I kinda hate it because of that whole familiarity breeding contempt mumbo jumbo.

The actual retail term is called a "loss leader" (also the name of a great Spoon song!). Best Buy does the same thing, but to a lesser extent because they don't have the wider range of product that Target does. But yeah, they figure you'll have a hard time leaving without thinking "oh wait, I really need (fill in the blank), might as well pick that up too".

I'm planning on getting to Target in the morning, and it's not an extremely popular location, so hopefully it won't be insane.

The actual retail term is called a "loss leader" (also the name of a great Spoon song!). Best Buy does the same thing, but to a lesser extent because they don't have the wider range of product that Target does. But yeah, they figure you'll have a hard time leaving without thinking "oh wait, I really need (fill in the blank), might as well pick that up too".

I'm planning on getting to Target in the morning, and it's not an extremely popular location, so hopefully it won't be insane.

Which one?

Eagle Rock, on Colorado just east of the 2 in that ghetto shopping mall. The Target on La Brea and Santa Monica is way too busy, and now that they opened one up at that giant addition to the Glendale Galleria, it will take even more traffic away from Eagle Rock.

Eagle Rock, on Colorado just east of the 2 in that ghetto shopping mall. The Target on La Brea and Santa Monica is way too busy, and now that they opened one up at that giant addition to the Glendale Galleria, it will take even more traffic away from Eagle Rock.

I used to go to the one on La Cienega, towards the airport. The one at SM, fuck that, way too congested.

Yeah, it's like trying to see Lance's Mom late on a Saturday night. It's cheap and you'll eventually get what you're looking for, but there's just too many people there for the same thing.

So, could those gift cards then themselves be used on more Beatles CDs? You could conceivably get all of them for under $150.

I just....fuck, the band is so fucking fascinating to me. Their formation, their Hamburg days, their initial success, their transformation and their break-up....I don't know, I could read or watch docs about it endlessly.

Yeah, there's something endlessly compelling about The Beatles. The BBC have just dedicated a whole weekend to them, showing new documentaries and suff, and I'd heard it all before. I mean there was nothing new (with the exception of some interesting archival clips), yet I was still glued to the screen. The magic of The Beatles somehow seems as tangible as ever.

It's always amazed me at how the four of them agreed to come back together for Abbey after the bitterness of Let It Be. It does seem pretty sentimental for a bunch of guys who were just itching to get away and do their own thing. Abbey Road seems to have been a very enjoyable album to make as well, things were very amiable and respectful, a world away from the tension of The White Album and Let It Be.

Still I'm glad they put aside their differences for one last throw of the dice. Abbey Road's in my top 3 Beatles albums.

I'm planning on going to the more, shall we say, ghetto Target, where hopefully not too many people will be buying up all the Beatles albums.

Good thing payday is Wednesday. I still want the mono set though too.

So, could those gift cards then themselves be used on more Beatles CDs? You could conceivably get all of them for under $150.

Well, but then you'd have to keep doing separate purchases. I doubt you'd be able to hand the gift cards back to the cashier immediately and say "Can you apply this to my total?"

The way I look at it, I'm definitely going to be spending $20 at Target in the future, probably within the next month. So it's rather irrelevant for me if I can use it on the spot.

That fucking store.

I went in there last week and ended up buying a box of Corn Flakes, a toothbrush, pillowcases, a Blu-Ray disc, a GPS system, underwear, soup and a birthday card.

I went in there last week and ended up buying a box of Corn Flakes, a toothbrush, pillowcases, a Blu-Ray disc, a GPS system, underwear, soup and a birthday card.

thong.jpg

Those two may be his best, but his other albums are mixed, at worst, just like a lot of Dylan releases. And I'd put up Mind Games, Walls & Bridges and Double Fantasy as all being very good to great. Regardless, each album has enough great tracks to ensure that they are better than fucking Valotte.

Gonna have to agree to disagree, B. In all fairness, though, I have listened to my disliked Lennon records in literally years, now; the last time I listened to Valotte was in May. Perhaps my opinions have changed. I'll find out, at some point.

Gonna have to agree to disagree, B. In all fairness, though, I have listened to my disliked Lennon records in literally years, now; the last time I listened to Valotte was in May. Perhaps my opinions have changed. I'll find out, at some point.

Shit, Mind Games has the title track, Tight A$, Aisumasen, Bring on the Lucie, Only People, You Are Here, Meat City.

Walls & Bridges has Going Down On Love, Old Dirt Road, What You Got, #9 Dream, Steel and Glass, Nobody Loves You (When You're Down and Out).

Double Fantasy has I'm Losing You, Beautiful Boy, Watching the Wheels, and Woman.

You should definitely give them another listen, and don't go in expecting masterpieces.

Double Fantasy also has "Kiss Kiss Kiss." So uh... yeah.

Best Lennon tune? "Oh Yoko."

Yeah, there's something endlessly compelling about The Beatles. The BBC have just dedicated a whole weekend to them, showing new documentaries and suff, and I'd heard it all before. I mean there was nothing new (with the exception of some interesting archival clips), yet I was still glued to the screen. The magic of The Beatles somehow seems as tangible as ever.

VH1 Classic here in America has been showing tons of Beatles stuff this weekend as well. It's so fascinating, how they changed over the years, how their music changed, how society changed. I was all of 2 years old when they broke up, but I've always felt such a connection with them.

And if for some reason the Target near you all doesn't do the gift card thing like I described as before, I can only say that my store is for sure doing it that way. :shrug: (Not that I think those other stores won't, but you never know what some idiots might decide to pull)

I wonder if Pitchfork will do a review of every Beatles album upon the release of their remastering? Wonder if any will recieve a 10.

It is, but how many copies of each one will be available at any given Target? Their inventory for music is always hit or miss. Their music section isn't nearly as large as Best Buy's.

That is cool that you can do all of the CDs at once though. So if they do have them all in stock, I guess the thing to do is by 12 of them together, get your $30 in GC, then go back and get the two doubles and use those GCs against them so they are free. That's what, $144? That would work. And then you still have one final $5 GC for something later.

If they have all of them, that is. Who knows how many copies they will have of the earlier, less popular albums.

I planned to pick up Sgt. Peppers, White Album, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Past Masters, Abbey Road, and Magical Mystery Tour on Wednesday. But since it makes no sense to get an odd number, I guess I'll have to get Help as well. Or Beatles For Sale. I'm not sure. Hmm.

Out of those, I'd go with Beatles for Sale, if only for "Eight Sprays a Week." But Help! has "Jizzy Miss Lizzy" on it, which is right up your alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom