The Beatles Remastered - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #301
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Or just could just take the 5 seconds it took you to write this and fucking elaborate on your "oh-so-crystal-clear point."
I tried. Failed. My bad. Relax.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #302
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Buying their albums is really the type of help they most need.

And if you can afford to buy certain albums, then don't pretend that you'd never listen to music. It doesn't suit you.
Actually, don't most bands make more money from touring and merchandising than they do from the albums? If you "steal" the music, but pay to see them perform, you're probably helping more than you're hurting.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #303
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
And if you can afford to buy certain albums, then don't pretend that you'd never listen to music. It doesn't suit you.
I don't mean I wouldn't listen to music. I mean I wouldn't listen to that wide of a range of music. I'd probably still just be listening to U2 and Springsteen exclusively, along with some Red Hot Chili Peppers my brother's bought or something.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #304
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Actually, don't most bands make more money from touring and merchandising than they do from the albums? If you "steal" the music, but pay to see them perform, you're probably helping more than you're hurting.
Well, that's the case now because albums are bought so infrequently anymore. It's a vicious cycle.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #305
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
To be fair, you can name almost any commodity and say that the original intent was not for it to be sold. Bartering existed long before monetary systems, but things evolve. Also, was music ever really performed for free? It couldn't be recorded, sure, but didn't people pay to see musicians, offer food or lodging to minstrels, etc? I'm asking, you of all people would know if that is the case or not, of course.

And, yes, the music industry is woefully outpaced by the technology, agreed.
You're absolutely correct in that nothing was originally intended to be sold. Like I said earlier, in a society like ours, it's bound to happen. No, even back when Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and all of those classical dudes were composing, people did pay to see music. However, that money DIDN'T go to the composers, generally. Mozart died poor and not nearly as famous as he is today. I do try to see as many shows and buy as much merchandise as I can possibly afford because I feel like that's a better way to support an artist, and then, when I have the money, I go out and buy the record too.

Again, just to be clear, I'm not really trying to justify my actions, since I know what I'm doing is stealing according to the law.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:05 AM   #306
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Or you could pay for the album and then see them in person, too. Or, simply elect not to steal.

Laz, do you do this with films, too? Lance? Do you guys download films for free and never pay for them?
Old 09-04-2009, 01:05 AM   #307
Blue Crack Addict

Double post.

Laz, yeah, that's generally the case. Bands make the most from merchandise, then ticket sales, then CD sales is somewhere farther down the money-making totem pole.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:05 AM   #308
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
I do believe this to be true. You also see a lot of bands giving away albums at the shows you likely paid 25-50 dollars to attend.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #309
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I don't mean I wouldn't listen to music. I mean I wouldn't listen to that wide of a range of music. I'd probably still just be listening to U2 and Springsteen exclusively, along with some Red Hot Chili Peppers my brother's bought or something.
Wrong.

You'd listen to Pandora or other some great internet radio stations. That's if you truly wanted to be exposed to new music.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #310
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
You're absolutely correct in that nothing was originally intended to be sold. Like I said earlier, in a society like ours, it's bound to happen. No, even back when Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and all of those classical dudes were composing, people did pay to see music. However, that money DIDN'T go to the composers, generally. Mozart died poor and not nearly as famous as he is today. I do try to see as many shows and buy as much merchandise as I can possibly afford because I feel like that's a better way to support an artist, and then, when I have the money, I go out and buy the record too.

Again, just to be clear, I'm not really trying to justify my actions, since I know what I'm doing is stealing according to the law.
Oh, I know that you're not justifying your actions. I'm just enjoying the discussion.

Mozart died very poor, but his outrageous spending habits contributed to that.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
Laz, do you do this with films, too? Lance? Do you guys download films for free and never pay for them?
Of course. I downloaded over 100 movies this summer. Of course 80% of them are movies either no longer available through home video or not available through Region 1 DVD, for purchase or through rental. The other 20% is just stuff I wouldn't get to otherwise.

But really, those two markets are so dissimilar it's hard to make the comparison really mean anything.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #312
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Wrong.

You'd listen to Pandora or other some great internet radio stations. That's if you truly wanted to be exposed to new music.
I literally spent two years on this site not downloading music, and I didn't do any of those things. I wanted to, and, as I recall, talked often about how I was disappointed I couldn't. But I never took those steps. Only relatively recently did I begin downloading.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #313
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I literally spent two years on this site not downloading music, and I didn't do any of those things. I wanted to, and, as I recall, talked often about how I was disappointed I couldn't. But I never took those steps. Only relatively recently did I begin downloading.
Dan, look, at the end of the day, I really don't care who steals what, especially from the music industry. I'm more playing devil's advocate here than anything else.

It's just hard for me to listen to arguments that make it seem like people have no alternative but to steal music in the name of listening to music. I am completely aware that it's the wild fucking west out there with music and a broke 18 year old that loves music is going to love donwloading a free album in 2 minutes. Were I in your shoes, I'd probably be doing the same exact shit.

I'd just do like Oneblood, though, and admit to stealing it and would not pretend like I had some sort of claim on the music just because I can garner it with little to no effort.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #314
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Of course. I downloaded over 100 movies this summer. Of course 80% of them are movies either no longer available through home video or not available through Region 1 DVD, for purchase or through rental. The other 20% is just stuff I wouldn't get to otherwise.

But really, those two markets are so dissimilar it's hard to make the comparison really mean anything.
Ok Lance.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #315
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Wrong.

Boo Pandora. Every time I've tried to use that thing, it ends up playing the same 5 bands over and over. Maybe if I put more time into it, it'd learn more of my preferences, but it seems futile.

Quote:
Oh, I know that you're not justifying your actions. I'm just enjoying the discussion.

Mozart died very poor, but his outrageous spending habits contributed to that.
As am I. Just wanted to put it out there in case somebody jumped in and didn't realize.

That's probably true. I don't know much about Mozart's personal life. But, even if he did blow all of his money, virtually zero composers lived lucrative lives because of their earnings from performing and writing music.

Tags
the beatles