The Beatles Remastered - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #286
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
I try to be. I honestly think it's just a different mindset. People my age don't respect music as a purchasable commodity anymore. Now, I could get into a long rant about how music wasn't originally meant to reified into something to be sold in the first place, but, as is bound to happen in a society such as ours, it turned into that. But, I'll spare you that one. I don't know how I feel about it all. I pirate, but know that it's stealing, yet don't feel a huge remorse about it either. What I do know is that it's really a revolutionary time in the music industry in general (and has been for years now), and it'll be very interesting to see what comes of it.
I hear you and it makes sense and I respect where you're coming from.

But I also know that you'd never walk into a record store and steal music that way. You do it cos you can, not cos you deem it as your right.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #287
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
But I also know that you'd never walk into a record store and steal music that way. You do it cos you can, not cos you deem it as your right.
Well, yeah. That's kind of a moot point, though isn't it?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #288
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Well, yeah. That's kind of a moot point, though isn't it?
Actually, no, it's the core of the point. If you don't get it, whatever, I don't have the inclination to make you understand.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 AM   #289
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
It's needed if you hate the vocals-in-one-channel-only thing going on on a lot of the early records. I hope to god that the vocals are centered in the remasters.
They're not.

These are remasters, not remixes. They didn't do here what they did on the Yellow Submarine release 10 years ago.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:48 AM   #290
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Actually, no, it's the core of the point. If you don't get it, whatever, I don't have the inclination to make you understand.
Well, I just fail to see what that has to do with the debate at hand in any practical sense. Isn't the question here essentially whether it is right or wrong to "steal" music? The discussion is more or less centered on personal ideologies and beliefs. And I just don't see where you're point factors in. Of course someone isn't going to go into a record store and steal cds. That's just being a dumb thief, no? I'd actually very much like you to expound on your statement, because no, I don't see what you mean.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #291
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I hear you and it makes sense and I respect where you're coming from.

That's sort of what I was getting at with the reification of it. I mean, music was never meant to be recorded, then copied endlessly and placed onto little silver discs to make exorbitant profits for record labels. It was, at one point, exclusively an organic process that occurred live and remained unrecorded. Am I glad that we record music now? Of course, because I don't know what I'd do without being able to put on that exact song I want to listen to at any given moment.

The problem really lies in how the music industry handled the whole MP3/piracy issue in the beginning. Had they went with technology instead of trying to resist it, we might be looking at a very different picture today.

But, yes, when it comes down to it, I do it because I can and do get away with it on a daily basis.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #292
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well, I just fail to see what that has to do with the debate at hand in any practical sense. Isn't the question here essentially whether it is right or wrong to "steal" music? The discussion is more or less centered on personal ideologies and beliefs. And I just don't see where you're point factors in. Of course someone isn't going to go into a record store and steal cds. That's just being a dumb thief, no? I'd actually very much like you to expound on your statement, because no, I don't see what you mean.
We're actually discussing two different points.

You might want to re-read my back and forth with Oneblood and then maybe you'll understand. She introduced the original intent of music into the discussion, and right then and there my point became a valid one.

Not sure what's so hard to follow here, Lance.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #293
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
That's sort of what I was getting at with the reification of it. I mean, music was never meant to be recorded, then copied endlessly and placed onto little silver discs to make exorbitant profits for record labels. It was, at one point, exclusively an organic process that occurred live and remained unrecorded. Am I glad that we record music now? Of course, because I don't know what I'd do without being able to put on that exact song I want to listen to at any given moment.

The problem really lies in how the music industry handled the whole MP3/piracy issue in the beginning. Had they went with technology instead of trying to resist it, we might be looking at a very different picture today.

But, yes, when it comes down to it, I do it because I can and do get away with it on a daily basis.
To be fair, you can name almost any commodity and say that the original intent was not for it to be sold. Bartering existed long before monetary systems, but things evolve. Also, was music ever really performed for free? It couldn't be recorded, sure, but didn't people pay to see musicians, offer food or lodging to minstrels, etc? I'm asking, you of all people would know if that is the case or not, of course.

And, yes, the music industry is woefully outpaced by the technology, agreed.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:57 AM   #294
Blue Crack Addict

I'll quote again, just for visual reference.

Quote:
But I also know that you'd never walk into a record store and steal music that way.
Again, so what? I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsw
You do it cos you can, not cos you deem it as your right
Wasn't oneblood's point more or less that it sort of is our right in a sense?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:57 AM   #295
Blue Crack Supplier

I do it because if I wasn't doing this I just wouldn't listen to the music at all. I'd rather download it and listen to it than not get a chance to hear it. And if I enjoy a band, I buy their albums and tell a lot of people about them. I tell people about Radiohead, The National, LCD Soundsystem, TV on the Radio ... bands I really get to enjoy.

I have moved past the point where I think about whether that's right or wrong. I'll do what I can to help the bands I like, by spreading them by word-of-mouth or by buying albums or whatever.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:58 AM   #296
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'll quote again, just for visual reference.

Again, so what? I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Wasn't oneblood's point more or less that it sort of is our right in a sense?
I'm honestly 100% at a loss as to how you're unable to understand what I'm saying.

Let's just leave it as you're unsure what my point has to do with anything and you can tell yourself that I am not overly bright and don't know what I'm talking about, it's better that way.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #297
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post

I have moved past the point where I think about whether that's right or wrong. I'll do what I can to help the bands I like, by spreading them by word-of-mouth or by buying albums or whatever.
Buying their albums is really the type of help they most need.

And if you can afford to buy certain albums, then don't pretend that you'd never listen to music. It doesn't suit you.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #298
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
\Of course someone isn't going to go into a record store and steal cds. That's just being a dumb thief, no?
He's not talking about it from a "you wouldn't do it because you're more likely to get caught" standpoint. He's saying you wouldn't do it because to actually physically steal something from a store like that makes it much more real.

I think. I have no idea. You spill Jack and Coke in my collar and I melt like a witch and scream, "I'm so sorry for everything!"
Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #299
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'm honestly 100% at a loss as to how you're unable to understand what I'm saying.

Let's just leave it as you're unsure what my point has to do with anything and you can tell yourself that I am not overly bright and don't know what I'm talking about, it's better that way.
Or just could just take the 5 seconds it took you to write this and fucking elaborate on your "oh-so-crystal-clear point."
Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #300
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Somebody call Walter Benjamin. I think that he could clear this up.

Tags
the beatles