The Beatles Remastered - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #271
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I'm not making a judgement or statement here, but am I the last motherfucker on Earth who refuses to do anything but pay for his shit?
Don't worry, B. You're not. We may be a dying breed, in some circles, but we're still alive and kicking. For the time being. I sacrifice my own health to support the arts, as you yourself know. Just gotta try, before you buy...and I just can't bring myself to wait, when it's something I'm already going to buy.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #272
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
You can play games in that fashion, yes.

More importantly, as I listen to The Beatles and at times have trouble recognizing it, I realize how these remasters are two things at once:

1) Pretty fucking gorgeous.

2) Pretty fucking inessential.

The music is just so ridiculously strong, even all these years later, that I could very easily hear these remasters, know how good they sound (although Revolver-in-stereo is still underwhelming, along with the at-least-it's-interesting Sgt. Pepper's), and just go back to my old-school CDs and the few original pressings we still have floating around. It sounds great, it is great, and I'm happy, but this just isn't needed. I loved this record as much, yesterday, as I do, today.

This is a good thing, by the way. A very, very, very good thing.
It's needed if you hate the vocals-in-one-channel-only thing going on on a lot of the early records. I hope to god that the vocals are centered in the remasters.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #273
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Quote:
I'm not making a judgement or statement here, but am I the last motherfucker on Earth who refuses to do anything but pay for his shit?
Sure you pay, but that's just because you like to haggle beforehand.

And for the record, I probably spend more money on actual legit media than all of my friends. So my conscience is relatively clean.

Quote:
More importantly, as I listen to The Beatles and at times have trouble recognizing it, I realize how these remasters are two things at once:

1) Pretty fucking gorgeous.

2) Pretty fucking inessential.

The music is just so ridiculously strong, even all these years later, that I could very easily hear these remasters, know how good they sound (although Revolver-in-stereo is still underwhelming, along with the at-least-it's-interesting Sgt. Pepper's), and just go back to my old-school CDs and the few original pressings we still have floating around. It sounds great, it is great, and I'm happy, but this just isn't needed. I loved this record as much, yesterday, as I do, today.

This is a good thing, by the way. A very, very, very good thing.
Very well observed.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #274
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I can only speak for myself...I'm a college student. A college student who can't afford to spend a lot of money on music. And given how easy it is to hear music online, I simply do not like to pay for music I haven't heard. I need to know when I spend my money on an album, that it's going to get listened to and enjoyed. I've got a lot of albums that I haven't paid for, but I have every intention of buying most of them at some point when school is finished(if all goes according to plan, I'll graduate in November) and I get a job and an income. I'll buy them second-hand on the Amazon Market Place for $2-3(after shipping) per, but I'll buy them nonetheless. As for games, I don't download them, except for old-school stuff on emulators.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #275
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Sure you pay, but that's just because you like to haggle beforehand.

And for the record, I probably spend more money on actual legit media than all of my friends. So my conscience is relatively clean.

Very well observed.
You don't have to justify yourself to me, I just feel like I'm in an insanely small minority. Every once in a while I'll dl something for free in advance of buying it, but that's only when I KNOW that I'll buy it. Not on my high horse or soap box, just sort of thinking out loud, sorry.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #276
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I can only speak for myself...I'm a college student. A college student who can't afford to spend a lot of money on music. And given how easy it is to hear music online, I simply do not like to pay for music I haven't heard. I need to know when I spend my money on an album, that it's going to get listened to and enjoyed. I've got a lot of albums that I haven't paid for, but I have every intention of buying most of them at some point when school is finished(if all goes according to plan, I'll graduate in November) and I get a job and an income. I'll buy them second-hand on the Amazon Market Place for $3(after shipping) per, but I'll buy them nonetheless. As for games, I don't download them, except for old-school stuff on emulators.
I went to college, too.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #277
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I went to college, too.
But that was a while ago, and you have a job and an income now, right?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #278
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
But that was a while ago, and you have a job and an income now, right?
I didn't steal things back then just cos I wanted it and because it was easy. That's all I'm saying. I mean, you can justify it all you like, but it's not like you're stealing bread cos you'll starve otherwise.

And I have a job for another 3 weeks, and then I go back to school, and trust me when I tell you that I'll not be stealing anything during that time period.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #279
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Quote:
You don't have to justify yourself to me, I just feel like I'm in an insanely small minority.
Depending on the demographic(s) in question, you are. Or you aren't. Again, it depends. On online messageboards...? Fuckin' right, you're in the minority, holmes.

EDIT: NSW brings up important points, re: school/unemployment. It can be managed. I was unemployed for 10 months, over the last year...and spent about $2000 on music (live shows, used records/CDs, new stuff, etc.). I also graduated from college with less than $50 to my name...and still somehow found a way to buy records. But, then again, I guess that if I hadn't been so diligent about paying for shit, I would have had enough money to buy insulin, rather than just not eating. Whatever. It was worth it, ultimately.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #280
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
On online messageboards...? Fuckin' right, you're in the minority, holmes.
Good point.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #281
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:22 PM
I steal because I have no conscience.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #282
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
I steal because I have no conscience.
This I can get behind.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #283
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'm not sure. I thought I had asked someone if it was possible to burn a Wii disc and they said no. Apparently they were wrong.

I mean, if I could avoid shelling out another $60, that would be cool. It's not like those guys need any more money. And I already have the guitar and drums, and the first Rock Band.
You can. You need to hack the Wii first. A friend of mine's got his able to play DVDs and everything now through some ridiculous trick/hack in Zelda. No idea about how to specifically go about it, but it can be done.

Quote:
I steal music. A lot. I also buy records quite a bit, which is a recent development, but I'm trying to be better about it. I just can't afford as much music as I want to listen to, unfortunately. Not an excuse per say, but there you have it.

Also, if Pfan's still wondering about downloading on college networks, I can say that even if the RIAA did catch you (which they won't because they aren't suing pirates anymore), a good percentage of colleges refuse to deliver the letters they receive about piracy to their students. It's near impossible to get in serious trouble. I think here if you get caught, the first step is to cut off internet access for about a week and you write a letter about why downloading/piracy is bad. Let's just say I've used the ungodly fast internet connection to my great advantage over the past couple years with no consequences though.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:35 AM   #284
Blue Crack Supplier

At least you're honest about stealing it.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

I try to be. I honestly think it's just a different mindset. People my age don't respect music as a purchasable commodity anymore. Now, I could get into a long rant about how music wasn't originally meant to reified into something to be sold in the first place, but, as is bound to happen in a society such as ours, it turned into that. But, I'll spare you that one. I don't know how I feel about it all. I pirate, but know that it's stealing, yet don't feel a huge remorse about it either. What I do know is that it's really a revolutionary time in the music industry in general (and has been for years now), and it'll be very interesting to see what comes of it.

Tags
the beatles