The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really long week, work has been insanity with FB starting. Worked 8am-7pm today and I'm just wiped out. Thanks for asking. No big deal, of course, I'm just out of gas.

Very glad to be home, though, and it looks like I'll have the next two days to myself to relax.

I feel you. Not that this is nearly as exhausting as getting a station ready for football season is, but at the law school we spent the week getting 200+ laptops ready for first year students, then ran orientation for one long day yesterday. It's a rough time of the year. Just wait until you're a student again. :wink:

Enjoy your weekend! You get a long one due to Labor Day, I hope?

I feel you. Not that this is nearly as exhausting as getting a station ready for football season is, but at the law school we spent the week getting 200+ laptops ready for first year students, then ran orientation for one long day yesterday. It's a rough time of the year. Just wait until you're a student again. :wink:

Enjoy your weekend! You get a long one due to Labor Day, I hope?

Thanks. Sorry your week was so rough.

We're off Monday but a lot of people end up at work anyway. I might pop in for the morning, we'll see.

Ha, yeah, when I'm a student again I'm going to have a huge adjustment to make. Looking forward to it, though.

I am getting so excited to get these CD's. A year or so ago I bought a new laptop and transferred my itunes over...but somehow lost all songs that were not Itunes purchased....so all my songs from CD's were lost....including Beatles stuff. For whatever reason I never replaced the Beatles albums, but I'm now glad that I didn't due to these remasters.

Hope you enjoy your weekend, too!

Thanks. Sorry your week was so rough.

We're off Monday but a lot of people end up at work anyway. I might pop in for the morning, we'll see.

Ha, yeah, when I'm a student again I'm going to have a huge adjustment to make. Looking forward to it, though.

I am getting so excited to get these CD's. A year or so ago I bought a new laptop and transferred my itunes over...but somehow lost all songs that were not Itunes purchased....so all my songs from CD's were lost....including Beatles stuff. For whatever reason I never replaced the Beatles albums, but I'm now glad that I didn't due to these remasters.

Hope you enjoy your weekend, too!

Thanks. Now the real fun begins though, with students flooding in for a good couple of weeks with a million and a half problems with their laptops. Oh well, as stressful as the job can be, it pays far too well for me to ever quit. Plus, my coworkers are cool, and I can do homework during down times. It all works out in the end.

It's funny, my mom's going to school for her master's right now, while working as an elementary school teacher full-time, but she's only taking a couple classes at a time. Anyway, she complains to me all the time about how much time schoolwork takes up. It cracks me up that she didn't realize/remember how much work it really is a lot of the time.

Yeah, actually, the only Beatles albums I own are the ones I have on vinyl, which are all in varying conditions. It's going to be great to finally have everything on CD in excellent sounding form.

"Getting Better" is mah favorite Macca Beatles song. Got a lot of good memories associated with that one.

In fact, the whole of Sgt. Peppers brings back a lot of warm/fuzzy stuff. Still, it doesn't crack my top 2 Beatles LPs.

1. Abbey Road
2. Revolver
see i think revolver is hideously overrated. a bunch of good songs, but nothing more than that really.

abbey road's far and away my favourite.

i don't own anything pre-revolver, though i'm getting rubber soul when it gets a bit cheaper at our local jb, might check out hard day's night too, but i won't go near any of the early stuff. i really really don't like that kind of music.

and from my view rev 9 is shit :lol: i don't care how brilliant or inspirational or whatever it is, it's a boring and fairly pointless eight minutes.

I still don't "get" Sgt. Pepper. Yeah, I enjoy the first couple tracks, but it's definitely not their best or anything. I'm with the GAFman on this jaunt: Abbey Road is your number one, and Revolver probably hops in there at two. After that? I'm not sure.

I still don't "get" Sgt. Pepper. Yeah, I enjoy the first couple tracks, but it's definitely not their best or anything. I'm with the GAFman on this jaunt: Abbey Road is your number one, and Revolver probably hops in there at two. After that? I'm not sure.

It has to be The White Album or Rubber Soul. Seriously. That shit's staggering when you do a track-by-track breakdown.

It's almost frightening, when you break it down, one album/song at a time. If not frightening, at least impossible. Or seemingly so.

Let's all get up and dance to a song that was a hit before Lance's Mother was born.

No Let It Be?

You know, Let It Be is a pretty weak album to me (even moreso as it was made between two masterpieces), and I already have Naked, which was remastered, no? As long as I have good sounding versions of Dig A Pony, I've Got A Feeling, Two of Us, Across the Universe, and the title track, I can live without the pristine version of Spector's Long and Winding Road.

You know, Let It Be is a pretty weak album to me (even moreso as it was made between two masterpieces), and I already have Naked, which was remastered, no? As long as I have good sounding versions of Dig A Pony, I've Got A Feeling, Two of Us, Across the Universe, and the title track, I can live without the pristine version of Spector's Long and Winding Road.
i don't have that album, but let it be is one of my all-time favourites, not just my fav beatles song.

"Drive My Car" is the low point of Rubber Soul, for me. Other than that, I would agree that it's a perfect pop record.

"Drive My Car" is one of my favorites from Rubber Soul. It really pisses me off that it was left off the U.S. version of the album, actually. Definitely in my top 3 Beatles albums, along with Abbey Road and Revolver.

My favorite Beatles album seems to change all the time, which is a testament to the band, obviously. Rubber Soul and Revolver always figure prominently in any lists I make, though.

"Drive My Car" is one of my favorites from Rubber Soul. It really pisses me off that it was left off the U.S. version of the album, actually. Definitely in my top 3 Beatles albums, along with Abbey Road and Revolver.

I like Drive My Car as well, but I'm the opposite about the U.S. version. I actually think the beginning of it works better with I've Just Seen A Face; it goes better with the other material.

Okay, Best Buy fliers went out, this morning. Apparently "select stores" will be receiving mono boxes, along with..."all New Jersey locations." I have NO idea what the fuck that is about, but if anybody is gonsta be in New Jersey, on Tuesday, please let me know. I'm willing to bet that we can figure out something.

That's fair, just wondering. I may pick up Naked when I get the rest of the albums as well.

I thought that The White Album, Abbey Road, and Let It Be came out of the same recording sessions?

No, three separate sessions. There are Abbey Road tracks (and maybe some from Let It Be) that had been demoed during The White Album sessions, but that's it.

The Let It Be sessions, which occurred in the middle, were totally filmed by a camera crew, and caused a lot of tension. The subsequent recording of Abbey Road (after the Let It Be Sessions were shelved), was an attempt to do it the normal way, and went much more smoothly. After that was released, the Let It Be project was resurrected, and Phil Spector's remixing (or embellishment) of the original recordings are what finally caused McCartney to leave the band.

There's a great book called Beatlesongs that goes really in-depth with the origins of songs, who wrote what, how it was recorded, the instrumentation, etc. Also shit about the artwork, and not only does it use interviews from the band members and the studio crew, but there are a lot of other musicians commenting on the stuff as well.

They have used copies for $2 on Amazon. You read that thing (and you will plow through it, believe me), and you'll be a bona fide Beatles expert.

No, three separate sessions. There are Abbey Road tracks (and maybe some from Let It Be) that had been demoed during The White Album sessions, but that's it.

The Let It Be sessions, which occurred in the middle, were totally filmed by a camera crew, and caused a lot of tension. The subsequent recording of Abbey Road (after the Let It Be Sessions were shelved), was an attempt to do it the normal way, and went much more smoothly. After that was released, the Let It Be project was resurrected, and Phil Spector's remixing (or embellishment) of the original recordings are what finally caused McCartney to leave the band.

There's a great book called Beatlesongs that goes really in-depth with the origins of songs, who wrote what, how it was recorded, the instrumentation, etc. Also shit about the artwork, and not only does it use interviews from the band members and the studio crew, but there are a lot of other musicians commenting on the stuff as well.

They have used copies for $2 on Amazon. You read that thing (and you will plow through it, believe me), and you'll be a bona fide Beatles expert.

Interesting. I knew that Let It Be happened in the middle and was shelved, but didn't know the rest. I'll definitely pick up that book then, thanks.

I just....fuck, the band is so fucking fascinating to me. Their formation, their Hamburg days, their initial success, their transformation and their break-up....I don't know, I could read or watch docs about it endlessly.

I should get that book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom