The Beatles Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting, but nothing could top that album version.

I really like a lot of the outtakes on All For Nothing/Nothing For All though.

Really? I think I like Eventually (the second one) better than Don't Tell A Soul, not to mention Sorry Ma, Stink, and Hootenanny. I'd probably say the same thing about 14 Songs, even if it's a bit of a mess.

There's maybe one song on Eventually album that I don't like a lot. Good Day is one of his finest songwriting moments. And while it's a bit cheesy, the solo on Love Untold is out of this world.

I've not listened to any of them in ages. I also probably never gave any of them enough listens. Maybe I should give some of them another try.

I do love Dyslexic Heart, though.

If you can handle that poppy song, you should check out those first two, and maybe even the third, again.

I'd pretty much guarantee you'll like Eventually. A lot.

In addition to the Lennon, it also has what I consider two of Macca's Top 5 songs ever (Rocky Raccoon and Why Don't We Do It In The Road), plus that fun little saloon song by Ringo, and two good Harrison tracks (the other two are, uhh, NOT that good, and at least one should have been replaced by the outtake Not Guilty).

No Blackbird love?

I'll be interested to make my own opinion on stereo vs. mono here. I'll be purchasing the stereo box set, though.

In addition to the Lennon, it also has what I consider two of Macca's Top 5 songs ever (Rocky Raccoon and Why Don't We Do It In The Road), plus that fun little saloon song by Ringo, and two good Harrison tracks (the other two are, uhh, NOT that good, and at least one should have been replaced by the outtake Not Guilty).

This being more of a Lennon album makes up for Sgt. Pepper's being sort of a McCartney album, yes?
Which two of the Harrison songs didn't you like so much, out of curiousity?

He's begging for a cock punch if he says "Long Long Long."

I'm guessing that the two are "Piggies" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." I love "Long, Long, Long" though.

I thought "Savoy Truffle" was a Paul track. I associate all shitty food-related songs with Paul.

"Sie Liebt Dich" is dangerously close to Lance's Mom territory.

1. Long Long Long
2. Savoy Truffle
3. Piggies
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

....in my bizzare point of view....

I really like Savoy Truffle. :shrug: I like Piggies and While My Guitar Gently Weep more, though. Savoy Truffle ranks as equal to songs such as Birthday and Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey as I hear them.

If we're talking White Album, it's worth noting how incredibly phenomenal "Prudence" sounds. Not many songs have ever moved me the way this one does.

But as far as the Harrison tunes go, I'd rank them thusly:

"Long, Long, Long"
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
"Savoy Truffle"
"Piggies"

Favourite-to-least-favourite, The White Album:

Dear Prudence
Julia
Goodnight
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Helter Skelter
Sexy Sadie
Piggies
I'm So Tired
Martha My Dear
Cry Baby Cry
Glass Onion
Rocky Raccoon
Back In The USSR
Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey
Birthday
Savoy Truffle
Revolution 1
Blackbird
Mother Nature's Son
Long, Long, Long
I Will
Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
Yer Blues
Don't Pass Me By
Honey Pie
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da
Wild Honey Pie
Revolution 9

I reserve the right to change my mind in 20 minutes.

Wow, man. You really went for it. I'm glad to see "Honey Pie" so low. It's way, way too difficult to make a list of my own. Suffice to say "Prudence" is the top and "Honey Pie" is in the cellar. "Julia" and "Good Night" are top fives for me as well, the former being one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful songs I've ever heard.

If you hate Revolution 9, you're a philistine. I don't know a more diplomatic way of saying it. It's not meant to be a fucking pop song, it's pushing the boundaries of recorded music in an attempt to bridge the gap between pop and the avant garde, and I imagine it inspired a lot of people creatively.

Also, intedomine's rankings of the Harrison songs? Not a surprise that they're in reverse order of quality. "Bizarre point of view" doesn't even scratch the surface.

I'll preface this by saying this is all stupid and fanboyish, so skip over it if you don't want to hear some guy talk about how much he loves the Beatles:

This whole thing is really making me realize how much we take the band for granted. They've been a part of all of our lives from such a young age, their songs just beaten into our heads until they're a part of our subconscious. They were the best band of all time and there will never, ever be another like them. Even though I've heard these songs a thousand times having probably listened to them more than any other artist in my life, they're just so, so fucking good.

The Cirque show has inspired the same reflections in me both times I've seen it. They've been dissected to death, endlessly and relentlessly, but the most important thing is that these songs are just as unbelievable as the first time I've heard them. Sure, just about everyone says they like the Beatles, so it's kind of a cliche to say how much you love them. But diving into the stories and the full albums is so incredibly rewarding. Your typical Beatles "fan" doesn't understand that.

The albums are always there, sitting on my shelf waiting to be spun for the umpteenth time. They're always just as good, if not better, than the last time. But what these remasters, LOVE a few years ago, etc. make me remember is how much this music deserves to be obsessed over.

I've already been on the record in the past as saying "Revolution 9" is the tits. Not a lot more to say.

You'd think he'd be more into Devo remasters.

1bullWhip.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom