The Beatles Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let It Be was the best cover. Stevie Wonder, Eurythmics were good too.

Paul & Ringo both sounded great, they gave it all.

Really no interest in this special.

But I'm totally down to relive memories from the old Beatoffs thread. :love:

One of the most consistently funny periods in Bang & Clatter history.

I liked that thread a lot, but more because of the shared love of the band. That being said, agreed that it was also a good stretch for B&C as it pertained to laughs.

Watching the special, about 1/2 way through. Stevie Wonder is the highlight thus far.

I flipped past this so-called Beatles special,
it was terrible.

To see a bunch of jack holes butcher the songs. Why not put on just the recorded performances of the Beatles.

Imagine Dragons are horrible, I would expect them to do terrible things to revolution. Or any cover.

I heard sgt pepper in its entirety on the radio last night, though. That was nice.

I think I just learned that Ringo is the inventor of the white man's dance

whtppl2.gif

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

I had a blast watching that last night. People take covers far too seriously sometimes. Paul and Ringo were having a ball, that's really all that matters, to me.

Also them singing together was just about one of the happiest moments in television watching history for me.

Some of the covers were great... others not so much. But that's not what bothered me the most.

I just thought that CBS fucked up.

They should have filmed the entire thing at the Ed Sullivan Theater as was originally rumored, performances and all, and should had a real tribute... not a half tribute, half opportunity to plug CBS. Did I really need to see LL Cool J open the show, and the chick from NCIS in the front row? Come now...

Some things should be above shameless network promotion.

The Grohl/Lynn/Walsh performances were my favorites - Lynn and Walsh on 'Something', Grohl and Lynn on 'Hey Bulldog', and Walsh, Gary Clark Jr., and Grohl on 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'.

After that, probably Mayer and Urban on 'Don't Let Me Down' and Ed Sheeran on 'In My Life'.

Didn't much care for Stevie's 'We Can Work It Out', and I love Stevie. I just thought it was a bit 'much'.

I love how excited Grohl was during 'Hey Jude' - he had a childlike excitement just sharing a stage with Paul and Ringo. It was endearing, imo.

Watched the Beatles' Special last night. I thought it was awesome. I actually enjoy when an artist covers a song and gives it their own interpretation. We've heard one version millions of times, so I don't see anything wrong with doing things a little differently.

How bad was Pete Best if they actually sat down and said "ya know, I think we're gonna go with Ringo"?
Maybe cut Ringo some slack? Dude is hitting 74 years old, and it takes a lot of strength and stamina to play rock drums.

No doubt in twenty+ years when there's some "50th Anniversary of the Joshua Tree" crap TV special, kids of the future will be laughing at Larry with comments like, "They actually thought that flabby geezer could play drums?"

In 1962, Ringo was considered one of the two best drummers on Merseyside, and he was probably the best rock/R&B drummer in England at the time. In fact, he was a considerably more successful musician than John, Paul, and George were for a few years before he joined The Beatles, and he was highly in demand.

I recommend listening to 'Live at the Star-Club 1962', 'Rain', and John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band and then passing judgment on old Richie.

I was under the impression that yes, that was somewhat true but that it also had a lot to do with pre-planned image/packaging of the band for marketability too. I think I George Martin said as much in some part of the anthology, but I haven't watched that in years. Or maybe I'm mixing it up with the whole Pete Best sucked and Martin wasn't sold on their ability to find a good drummer, hence the reason they got Andy White to play drums for love Me Do, and Ringo was relegated to tambourine...

Maybe cut Ringo some slack? Dude is hitting 74 years old, and it takes a lot of strength and stamina to play rock drums.

No doubt in twenty+ years when there's some "50th Anniversary of the Joshua Tree" crap TV special, kids of the future will be laughing at Larry with comments like, "They actually thought that flabby geezer could play drums?"

In 1962, Ringo was considered one of the two best drummers on Merseyside, and he was probably the best rock/R&B drummer in England at the time. In fact, he was a considerably more successful musician than John, Paul, and George were for a few years before he joined The Beatles, and he was highly in demand.

I recommend listening to 'Live at the Star-Club 1962', 'Rain', and John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band and then passing judgment on old Richie.

I actually have no comment on his drumming ability. Only on his annoying dancing and stupid songs.

It's really not his fault... he just has the unfortunate task of having to be compared to Lennon, McCartney and Harrison.

It must be how Cooper Manning feels.

I was under the impression that yes, that was somewhat true but that it also had a lot to do with pre-planned image/packaging of the band for marketability too. I think I George Martin said as much in some part of the anthology, but I haven't watched that in years. Or maybe I'm mixing it up with the whole Pete Best sucked and Martin wasn't sold on their ability to find a good drummer, hence the reason they got Andy White to play drums for love Me Do, and Ringo was relegated to tambourine...

Pete Best wasn't good enough, ie Martin preferred a session drummer/they probably feared losing the contract had they used Best... the band relegated the firing to Epstein.

Pete Best wasn't good enough, ie Martin preferred a session drummer/they probably feared losing the contract had they used Best... the band relegated the firing to Epstein.

Seeing as how Epstein was their manager, it was his job to dismiss Best. Not any of the other Beatles.

and didn't trust their ability to find a better drummer, hence why ringo was on tambourine.

i'm listening to abbey road in its entirety for the first time in i have no idea how many years. glad to know my favorite album from when i was 10 years old is something as great as abbey road.

Seeing as how Epstein was their manager, it was his job to dismiss Best. Not any of the other Beatles.

They should have done it personally. It was their internal affair to deal with.

Epstein's job was to get them gigs and a contract, and along the way, make them financially well-off. That's what managers do, not fire band members.

They should have done it personally. It was their internal affair to deal with.

Epstein's job was to get them gigs and a contract, and along the way, make them financially well-off. That's what managers do, not fire band members.

Not to quibble, but it is indeed the manager's job to hire/fire personnel in addition to the duties you've mentioned. Not the band members. In 1962, The Beatles were the employees and Brian was the boss.

Pete Best was a band member, not personnel. Yet the band relegated the job of firing him to Epstein.

Andy White was hired, ie personnel.

Pete Best was a band member, not personnel. Yet the band relegated the job of firing him to Epstein.

Andy White was hired, ie personnel.

Hell, we could have years of fun going back and forth. :huh:

In 1962, Brian Epstein, the manager of The Beatles, fired Pete Best. The other Beatles also wanted him gone, but it was Brian's job as the manager of the group to do the actual firing.

Back
Top Bottom