The Beatles Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the little doco today it sounds very promising. I’ve never listened to John’s demo - I wanted to wait until after hearing the final because real love was ruined for me a bit when I heard some of the different vocal takes - the helium effect on his voice is grating. Wonderful song - shame about the final product. Free as a bird is a better track (but not a better song) for mine.

I'd say that's a fair analysis of the differences between those two recordings. I do enjoy both though. I've always maintained that if either were on Let It Be, for example, they'd be considered classics just like any of the other songs.

I'd say that's a fair analysis of the differences between those two recordings. I do enjoy both though. I've always maintained that if either were on Let It Be, for example, they'd be considered classics just like any of the other songs.

Absolutely. But it speaks to John’s genius that his random demos can become such classic tunes.

It’s honestly pretty good. I wish they’d go back and remaster/remix Real Love and Free as a Bird with the same tech. Could have been quite a nice EP.

I was thinking the same while listening to it. John's vocals are so clear here; they absolutely need to update the other two now.

I would have bought an EP of all three, cuz I'm certainly not buying the blue album for it.

Look - it’s not a big standalone single kind of song, but they absolutely had to take the opportunity.

It would have been awesome if it was considered part of an EP with updated versions of Free as a Bird and Real Love though. It’s a nice change of pace/slightly darker mood.

How is it a Beatles song? Lennon wrote it seven years after they broke up?

They are choosing to define it as one because all four play on it, the three surviving members sanctioned it in 1995, as did Yoko on John’s behalf.

Dhani and Sean further supported the concept this year.

Last edited:
I've listened to Now and Then numerous times. I'd rank it in between Real Love and Free as a Bird. I'd consider it a "Beatles" song because they all brought something to the table. Not a Lennon/McCartney song. It's a good song and may the legacy of The Beatles live forever.

I listened to Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper's yesterday for the first time in a long time. I've always considered Abbey Road my favourite but gee some of the sequencing before the medley is whack. I think I'll take Sgt Pepper's now.

I've listened to Now and Then numerous times. I'd rank it in between Real Love and Free as a Bird. I'd consider it a "Beatles" song because they all brought something to the table. Not a Lennon/McCartney song. It's a good song and may the legacy of The Beatles live forever.

They should clean up the Free as a Bird and Real Love vocals with this new tech and call it a remixed version so we can actually hear the lyrics.

They should clean up the Free as a Bird and Real Love vocals with this new tech and call it a remixed version so we can actually hear the lyrics.

Exactly! Everything on the Red and Blue albums has been remixed. Free as a Bird really could have used a touch-up. And, of course, after 28 years, they could have remixed Real Love. Real Love sounds more like a complete song than Free as a Bird. But in 1995/96, every fan was delighted to hear anything "new". Honestly, I never bought Anthology 1. Just the other two. My friend got it and I just listened to his copy.

Regardless of the fact that it's not anything special, it's still fucking cool to see Now And Then in the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100.

You know what? (And I understand what you mean when you say "nothing special".) As hokey as it may sound, this song is special. Technology has helped resurrect an old John song and turned it into a Beatles song. The Anthologies are 28 years old. I was really into the Beatles back then. Still am. But, with nothing new coming from their camp, I paid less attention. I like the song, the video, and the mini documentary. There's a possibility of Peter Jackson utilizing the technology and cleaning up some early live performances. I wonder how that would sound?

Back
Top Bottom