The Beatles Appreciation Thread - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2016, 10:14 PM   #286
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Yer Blues, anyone? One of my favorites from The White Album.
Re-discovered it when I did my custom White Album the other day. I like it enough that I didn't cut it. Good stuff, but wouldn't be in my top 10 from the album.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #287
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Some quintessential guitar tones on this album with the overloaded direct soundboard tones and auto double tracking.

I love the guitar sound here more than on any other Beatles LP. Nice to see And Your Bird Can Sing get a mention, such an underrated track that's as catchy as any of their big singles.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #288
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I love the guitar sound here more than on any other Beatles LP. Nice to see And Your Bird Can Sing get a mention, such an underrated track that's as catchy as any of their big singles.
Yeah, great tune, though apparently John himself didn't think it was that great.

Question for anyone who has an opinion...am I correct in thinking that Lady Madonna and The Inner Light are orphans insofar as they don't really belong to any LP the way most of the other Past Masters stuff does? They were recorded, I believe, well after the MMT stuff but months before work on the White Album got underway. I feel like these two tracks - Lady Madonna in particular - would be most at home on the White Album, but not really sure. Opinions welcome.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Quote:
John was on fire for Revolver. As good as most of the other songs are, his writing is on a whole other level.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #290
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Got to Get You Into My Life is another underrated gem on Revolver.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #291
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
John was on fire for Revolver. As good as most of the other songs are, his writing is on a whole other level.
I'm Only Sleeping might be my favorite thing on there and cutting it(and And Your Bird Can Sing and Doctor Robert) might have been the worst offense Capital ever made on their Frankenstein U.S. LPs.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:03 AM   #292
Blue Crack Supplier

[QUOTE=namkcuR;8099347
Question for anyone who has an opinion...am I correct in thinking that Lady Madonna and The Inner Light are orphans insofar as they don't really belong to any LP the way most of the other Past Masters stuff does? They were recorded, I believe, well after the MMT stuff but months before work on the White Album got underway. I feel like these two tracks - Lady Madonna in particular - would be most at home on the White Album, but not really sure. Opinions welcome.[/QUOTE]

You're talking about an album that has Helter Skelter, Julia, Revolution 9, Rocky Raccoon. Not many songs would sound out of place. Lady Madonna is post-psychedelic and definitely seems cut from a similar cloth as a lot of the material on there.

George seemed to have grown out of the sitar by the time of The White Album, so maybe that's one exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I'm Only Sleeping might be my favorite thing on there and cutting it(and And Your Bird Can Sing and Doctor Robert) might have been the worst offense Capital ever made on their Frankenstein U.S. LPs.
That's always been my favorite on the album. Is that the first song to have a backwards guitar solo?
Old 09-10-2016, 02:11 AM   #293
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
savoy truffle is fantastic. i love the distorted horn section. i read that the horns were from some symphony orchestra or something and were already not too happy about appearing on a rock record (although still willing to take the paycheque). they finished recording, and it was played back for them with the crazy distortion, and they were mortified to the point that george apologized as the horns immediately departed.

I like that song.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:12 AM   #294
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

That's always been my favorite on the album. Is that the first song to have a backwards guitar solo?

I thought Rain was?
Old 09-10-2016, 02:15 AM   #295
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
She Said She Said is one of the best Beatles songs. Carefree, joyous music with a dose of melancholy in the lyrics.

Wheeeenn I was a boooyyyyy...everything was riiiiightttt

Old 09-10-2016, 02:15 AM   #296
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Got to Get You Into My Life is another underrated gem on Revolver.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #297
Blue Crack Addict

rain had the first backwards vocals, i'm only sleeping had the first backwards guitar, iirc.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #298
Refugee

Quote:
Question for anyone who has an opinion...am I correct in thinking that Lady Madonna and The Inner Light are orphans insofar as they don't really belong to any LP the way most of the other Past Masters stuff does? They were recorded, I believe, well after the MMT stuff but months before work on the White Album got underway. I feel like these two tracks - Lady Madonna in particular - would be most at home on the White Album, but not really sure. Opinions welcome.

Was that around the same time they recorded Hey Bulldog? I love that song. An underrated gem that never quite got the attention of other one-off songs from that time.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #299
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
Was that around the same time they recorded Hey Bulldog? I love that song. An underrated gem that never quite got the attention of other one-off songs from that time.
Yeah, looks like they were recorded in the same week in February 1968.

Speaking of Bulldog, I just listened to those four Yellow Submarine tracks last night for the first time in ages(really, other than Bulldog I'd barely listened to the others ever). Three out of four of them are nothing less than hidden treasures.

Everyone knows Bulldog, but Only A Northern Star has such a gorgeous melody, and It's All Too Much might be the most psychedelic non-sitar-related thing, aside from Blue Jay Way, Harrison ever wrote as a Beatle. Good shit. Really dig these tracks.

McCartney's All Together Now, on the other hand, might be the weakest Beatles track in existence.

Listened to these as part of my re-working of Sgt. Pepper/MMT. Will post in a bit.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #300
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yeah, looks like they were recorded in the same week in February 1968.

Speaking of Bulldog, I just listened to those four Yellow Submarine tracks last night for the first time in ages(really, other than Bulldog I'd barely listened to the others ever). Three out of four of them are nothing less than hidden treasures.

Everyone knows Bulldog, but Only A Northern Star has such a gorgeous melody, and It's All Too Much might be the most psychedelic non-sitar-related thing, aside from Blue Jay Way, Harrison ever wrote as a Beatle. Good shit. Really dig these tracks.

McCartney's All Together Now, on the other hand, might be the weakest Beatles track in existence.

Listened to these as part of my re-working of Sgt. Pepper/MMT. Will post in a bit.
Oh gosh! I had completely forgotten Hey Bulldog and Lady Madonna! I used to have those two in my White Album playlist. Gonna have to go rethink a couple things. Doesn't help that I rarely listen to music on my computer anymore I suppose....

Tags
beatles, the beatles