The Beatles Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let It Be is the single version as newly remixed on the EP.

As for The Long And Winding Road, Take 19 is the best in my book. The electric piano break is not as up front in this mix as it is on Naked, and I like McCartney singing over it. The Get Back version is fine, but McCartney just sings the same line again at that point (which he needs to I guess because he’s filling in blank space there), and I don’t like his vocal as much. For the Take 19 version, I did edit out his “are you alright” remark beforehand. Don’t care for it.

I appreciate the passion and the thought that you put into this. There's not that much we disagree on aside from Naked/Not Naked stuff.

As per usual, these are the two points I get hung up on the most. I prefer the original vocal take on TLAWR(the 'yeah yeah yeah yeah' at the end matters to be, I know it's a minor thing, but it does), and I love the big solo in the album version of the title track so much, any other version just sounds kind of neutered to me.

Different strokes.

However, one thing you guys have convinced of upon further thinking is that The Ballad Of John And Yoko and Old Brown shoe do belong on LIB, so I've re-inserted them, while moving "Dig It" to Side A where I originally had intended it(I'd put it on Side B to even out the two sides).

So It was

1. Get Back(Album Version)
2. I've Got A Feeling(Album Version)
3. One After 909(Album Version)
4. Dig A Pony(Glyn Johns Version)
5. I Me Mine(Album Version)
6. Let It Be(Album Version)

7. Two Of Us(Glyn Johns Version)
8. For You Blue(Album Version)
9. Dig It(Glyn Johns Version)
10. Don't Let Me Down(Glyn Johns Single Version)
11. The Long And Winding Road(Glyn Johns Version)
12. Across The Universe(Glyn Johns Version)

But it's now

1. Get Back
2. I've Got A Feeling
3. One After 909
4. Dig It
5. Dig A Pony
6. I Me Mine
7. Let It Be

8. Two Of Us
9. For You Blue
10. The Ballad Of John And Yoko
11. Old Brown Shoe
12. Don't Let Me Down
13. The Long And Winding Road
14. Across The Universe

The two sides have distinct flavors here, Side A being the more 'rock' type stuff, and Side B being softer in nature. I waffle on using the album or single version of Get Back(to get rid of the studio chatter), and I might use the Past Masters version of Don't Let Me Down because it might flow better, but on the whole I think this works really well.

It was important to incorporate Lennon more. I know he was distracted with Ono at this point and wasn't coming up with as much new material, but he started the whole thing. For this to be the end, we need to hear him as much as possible.

Also, on this point, I agree that it's a good thing to give John a bigger presence on the album with the re-insertion of Don't Let Me Down, Dig It, and The Ballad Of John And Yoko(now that I've changed my mind); that said, I'm with Laz that Abbey Road is the end, not Let It Be.

Oh don't get me wrong. Abbey Road is definitely the end. But Let It Be was released after, and Paul dominated the former album, so it's good that in our Let It Be versions here John gets his due.

I’m amazed at how you guys can pick out the differences in the different versions so easily. I listened to this yesterday morning and I don’t really care for the Glyn Johns version. The mix is just really blurry and a bit muffled. Also agree with others that Teddy Boy is, well, not good. But I agree with phanan over laz on For You Blue.

Someday I should create my own custom playlist for this one, because I’m sure I’ve made them for Sgt Pepper/Magical Mystery Tour and the White Album, and I think a custom list would improve this album much more than it could those albums (at least in my estimation).

Since I'm too lazy to do this, and assuming you (phanan) already have this done, could you share a spotify link for your enhanced playlist?

I actually haven't created it on Spotify, only because this includes some of my own tweaks that, even if I uploaded to Spotify as a local file, I don't believe it can be shared with others. Unless I'm mistaken?

Obviously can create it without the intro latched onto Get Back, the small edit to the version of TLAWR that I used, and my own reprise version, if interested.

I noticed that the original Let It Be film was online this weekend, so took the opportunity to watch it for the first time in years. I really couldn't remember most of it. And, because it was originally released shortly after the breakup became public, it's got this reputation of being very sad and dour. But it's really not. You've got the infamous exchange between Paul and George, which really wasn't that big of a deal, and another scene with Paul complaining to John, who looks bored out of his mind listening. But other than that? A mostly positive documentary. Plenty of fun moments.

The major drawback to me was that it features Paul WAY too much. Now maybe this is because he's the one really driving things, but it could have been edited a lot better.

I also totally forgot about the "Apple Studio Performances" of Two Of Us, Let It Be, and The Long And Winding Road, which were done because they weren't considered suitable for the rooftop performance. The first two are the versions that were ultimately released, but The Long And Winding Road is actually the performance we find on Naked (and the other take on the box set), not the version that Spector ultimately used. That, to me, indicates it was the definitive version in their eyes all along.

Anyway, it was a good appetizer ahead of the series coming up this week. Really excited to see it.

I found that online ages ago, but it's buried on a hard drive somewhere so I recently re-acquired it. Haven't rewatched yet but probably will shortly.

I don't know what the rights issues are, but it really should be included as supplemental material if this new one gets a physical copy released.

Finished Get Back a little while ago. Lots of awesome stuff. It is long and there is some tedious stuff on it too. I don't think a casual fan would be able to sit through it. I saw Let It Be a very long time ago and barely remember it, but Get Back shows the Beatles getting along much better during the making of the album/film.

I'm only through Part 1 but my desire to punch Paul in the face is as strong as ever.

I loved seeing Yoko and Linda Eastman talking while the band was practicing, which would dispel any ideas that she never spoke to anyone the whole time she was there.

I'm only through Part 1 but my desire to punch Paul in the face is as strong as ever.

I loved seeing Yoko and Linda Eastman talking while the band was practicing, which would dispel any ideas that she never spoke to anyone the whole time she was there.

Hahaha, just watched Part 1 myself, what was driving you nuts about Paul specifically?

Lots of lol-moments reminiscent of the best "I-don't-know-whose-idea-that-was/but-then-we-didn't-end-up-doing-anything/it-was-all-a-big-waste-of-time/the mania" parts from the Anthology, and often coming out of George's mouth (and preferably when he was clad in the denim jacket with the oversized rocket pin).

Maybe I'm just used to Paul, but I didn't think he was too bad. He was coming up with ideas quicker than the others, but they had good stuff too. They did have a strict deadline and somebody had to keep the train rollin'.

I'm through Parts 1 and 2. It's been a pretty fascinating watch so far. Some random notes:

- Love their clothes and their general style in this era. I would wear basically everything they show up to the studio in. And I think Paul looks great with the long hair/beard combo.
- My god they smoke a lot. As a long time smoker who is currently trying to quit/cut back on cigs...yeah...these dudes were heavy, heavy smokers.
- Paul came to the Twickenham sessions with a ton of material. He came with Two of Us, I Got a Feeling, Let it Be, Long and Winding Road, Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry that Weight, etc. And then wrote Get Back on the spot. John basically came with Don't Let Me Down. And an already recorded Across the Universe. The latter might be the best track in the sessions but it's clear that Paul had hit a deep songwriting vein. John is my favorite Beatle but Paul was bringing some heat in January of '69.
- Ringo is awfully quiet here. George was always known as the "quiet Beatle" but he speaks 20 times more than Ringo in the film.
- It's brilliant seeing them goof around and smile and laugh with eachother even though the walls were closing in.
- BILLY FUCKING PRESTON. What a legend. He lit a fire under their asses. Their playing immediately got tighter and better when he jumped in.
- Linda is really sexy.

It was 20 years ago today that we lost Beatle George. :sad: George was fucking hilarious. He was awesome in Hard Day's Night.

:up:

i've always been convinced that george caught up to and rapidly surpassed the other beatles while they were in india in the spring of 68.

I'm through Parts 1 and 2. It's been a pretty fascinating watch so far. Some random notes:

- Love their clothes and their general style in this era. I would wear basically everything they show up to the studio in. And I think Paul looks great with the long hair/beard combo.
- My god they smoke a lot. As a long time smoker who is currently trying to quit/cut back on cigs...yeah...these dudes were heavy, heavy smokers.
- Paul came to the Twickenham sessions with a ton of material. He came with Two of Us, I Got a Feeling, Let it Be, Long and Winding Road, Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry that Weight, etc. And then wrote Get Back on the spot. John basically came with Don't Let Me Down. And an already recorded Across the Universe. The latter might be the best track in the sessions but it's clear that Paul had hit a deep songwriting vein. John is my favorite Beatle but Paul was bringing some heat in January of '69.
- Ringo is awfully quiet here. George was always known as the "quiet Beatle" but he speaks 20 times more than Ringo in the film.
- It's brilliant seeing them goof around and smile and laugh with eachother even though the walls were closing in.
- BILLY FUCKING PRESTON. What a legend. He lit a fire under their asses. Their playing immediately got tighter and better when he jumped in.
- Linda is really sexy.

i'm only through part 1 but i agree with every word of this post and it makes me look forward even more to part 2.

i grew a beard and grew my hair out during the pandemic hoping that i would look exactly like paul during the rooftop concert (i didn't).

Overall you're right, but that's not completely fair; you can hear John playing Gimme Some Truth and a couple others that didn't make the cut and would appear in some form later.

i've always been convinced that george caught up to and rapidly surpassed the other beatles while they were in india in the spring of 68.

:huh:

Harrison's White Album material still pales in comparison to what John & Paul were doing. And All Things Must Pass, impressive as it may be, also pales in comparison.

"Rapidly surpassed". Just ridiculous.

Harrison's White Album material still pales in comparison to what John & Paul were doing. And All Things Must Pass, impressive as it may be, also pales in comparison.

"Rapidly surpassed". Just ridiculous.

sure, abbey road and the white album are way better because they included lennon-mccartney masterpieces like wild honey pie, revolution 9, and maxwell's silver hammer instead of a few of the many gorgeous songs george had written by 1969 which ended up on all things must pass. lmao

Last edited:
i'll concede that "rapidly surpassed" in india was hyperbole, but i'll die on the "george was the best songwriter in the band by 1969" hill.

Last edited:
All 3 were good. Obviously, Paul and John's input was at the forefront. The only way for George to flourish as an artist was to leave the Beatles. I enjoyed the documentary, but I'm not sure I could sit through it again. I haven't seen Anthology since '95, but I could watch that again.
By the way, Ringo was always on time or early. He was the professional musician of the bunch. Show up on time, do your work, and leave.

i'll concede that "rapidly surpassed" in india was hyperbole, but i'll die on the "george was the best songwriter in the band by 1969" hill.

Considering what Paul was churning out at this time, I could buy the argument that George had reached his level, but surpassed? I don't think so.

And unfortunately, George was only able to maintain that level for a short time.

I had Thanksgiving week off and took full advantage of the time to watch the entire documentary, and I wasn't disappointed. Peter Jackson did a lovely job restoring this thing - both the video and audio quality were amazing for something over 50 years old. I didn't find it to be too long or tedious, but that's probably more because I'm such a fan. I thought it was fascinating.

Random thoughts:

As GAF mentioned, the amount of material Paul came in with is astounding. I mentioned before how I didn't like how much Paul is featured in the original Let It Be film as compared to the others, but it's certainly hard to argue when he's the one presenting the most songs.

By contrast, it's apparent that John is distracted by his relationship with Yoko (as well as his drug use, conveniently not mentioned in this film, I'm sure to Disney's approval) because he really doesn't have much to offer up here. He has two songs that are far enough along to push through - Don't Let Me Down and Dig A Pony - and that's really it. There's a reason why they went back to some older stuff and pulled out One After 909 and Across The Universe. Yes, there are some sketches forming that pop up later, like Gimme Some Truth, Jealous Guy (from Child Of Nature), and I Want You. But if you want to use that line of thinking, then you need to concede that Paul has just as many of those with Another Day, The Back Seat Of My Car, etc. It's really no contest who the creative force was at this point.

Because of John's lack of input, it really is infuriating that they didn't use more of George's songs here. To not proceed with All Things Must Pass, which even at this stage is beautiful, is such a travesty. Can you imagine it being the closer on this?

The best part of Part 1, by far, is Paul starting up Get Back right on the spot. That is just amazing to watch in real time.

As for Part 2, which I actually enjoyed as much as Part 3, the beginning when just Paul and Ringo show up, after George has walked out, is heartbreaking. John hasn't shown up and you don't know if he's going to bother now, and Paul says "and then there were two", and he's holding back tears and actually starting to tremble. That was gutting. You wonder if he would have broke down eventually if not for John calling in.

When watching (listening really) to the flower pot scene, all I could think about was how Michael Lindsay-Hogg, the original director, was either forbidden to include certain footage, or was incompetent with his film. How do you not include this in the original? To hear an honest conversation between John and Paul over the current dynamics of the group? Come on.

God bless Billy Preston. While the group were getting on better with the move to Saville Row, it's obvious things go to another level when he sits in. Watching him seamlessly integrate into songs like Get Back and Don't Let Me Down is truly astonishing and really speaks to his genius as a keyboard player.

I'll say this for John. While he didn't have the material, he's certainly more into it by the end, and his humor and wit is on full display - I'm sure partly due to the heroin, but still. It helps keep things light in the studio, and the many in-between jams that he mostly instigates are a real treat to listen to. An important aspect to remember in all of this.

Having the complete rooftop performance with all the different camera angles was perfect. The hilarity of the cops trying to stop it is on full display - that hidden camera in the lobby is pure gold. But my favorite part of it all is actually AFTER they play, when they are all listening back in the control room and everyone is grinning ear to ear. They sounded great and they know it. Even George, whose refusal to perform live pissed me off to no end, seemed taken away with it. I don't know how they convinced him to get on the roof at the last minute, but thank goodness he did.

Considering the length of this, I was surprised that the Apple Studio Performances of Two Of Us, Let It Be, and The Long And Winding Road were not included in full here. They showed snippets of the first two during the closing credits, and that's it. I guess that will be added to the inevitable Director's Cut whenever this thing comes out on Blu-Ray, but to me, that was a glaring omission.

It's clear John had an anti-authoritarian streak (among other psychological issues), so while he went along with these big conceptual projects, he was prone to not taking them seriously, showing up late, unprepared, etc. And while there is indeed a big gulf between what he had ready to work on vs. Paul and George, let's not forget that he was just as productive as his bandmate as recently as 6 months earlier when they were recording The White Album (which arguably has his best assortment of songs). On top of that, he released two albums of experimental music with Yoko (the Two Virgins series) during that late '68 to spring '69 span that this documentary sits in the middle of, and was recording a third (Wedding Album). So it's not as if he was just strung out on junk and doing nothing. His interests simply appeared to lie elsewhere at the time, and being forced to a deadline in one month was also likely bad timing in terms of where he was in his writing process.

My comment about John being distracted by Yoko was both from a personal standpoint as well as musically. She was his muse at the time and The Beatles were definitely in a secondary role by then, so the point remains that he obviously contributed less, and it wasn't really limited to the deadline they had either, it was really to the end.

I have no idea why, when given a deadline, that they forged ahead with this. Not sure if it was at Paul's insistence or something else, but there was no reason that they couldn't have simply continued on after Ringo finished his film, especially when they released the Get Back single to buy some more time. That certainly would have relieved some of the pressure.

One more thing I forgot to mention. The intrusion of Allen Klein was really the backbreaker here, given what we know happened shortly after this. There's a book out there called You Never Give Me Your Money that goes into detail about the business side (it's good, but would get higher marks from me if the author didn't feel the need to veer off into the salacious and gossipy side of things at times), which depicts how he ruined things to the point of no return. It's a shame that John became so enamored with him and wouldn't listen to reason. Things might have turned out differently.

And I just read how Peter Jackson showed the part of the film to Paul where George suggested a solo album, and how John agreed and thought alternating solo and Beatles albums would work. Paul's comment was he wish he'd known that at the time.

For all the fascinating conversations in this doc, it's ironic that it still came down to lack of communication at times in the end.

Lennon indeed made a huge mistake backing Klein, and I’d also blame him (and George and Ringo) for letting Phil Spector have “final cut” over the Let It Be project despite Paul’s protestations.

But yeah it’s tragic that there’s an alternate history where the band only goes on the occasional hiatus so they could all pursue their own projects inbetween.

Finished Part 2.

The 8 hours of this doc was justified for that flower pot hidden microphone conversation between John and Paul alone. I feel like it managed to say more somehow than 50 Beatles biographies.

I also appreciated Paul preemptively dismissing suggestions that Yoko was the cause of the band's tension.

John had me cracking up once every 10 minutes during this thing. They're in a serious discussion about the future of the band and Paul says "We were talking--" and John cuts in, quoting the missing George's lyrics "--about the space between us?" Not only witty, but perfectly timed re: the situation.

My biggest laugh may have been when Mal was taking breakfast orders and John says "Sparrow on toast". :lol:

And yes, Billy Preston truly did save this album. I love when George talks earlier about loving the sound of electric piano and I couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom