The Beatles Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sides ranked:

Side 3
Side 1
Side 4
Side 2

Side 3 is unreal!

Birthday Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Everybody's Got Something To Hide
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Long, Long, Long

It's All Too Much is a tribute to LSD, not Patti. I enjoyed that book at lot though and appreciate that Sheffield doesn't pretend to be authoritative, unlike that hack Philip Norman.

It's All Too Much is to George and acid what Got to Get You Into My Life is to Paul and weed.

Sides ranked:

Side 3
Side 1
Side 4
Side 2

Side 3 is unreal!

Birthday Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Everybody's Got Something To Hide
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Long, Long, Long

i rate Paul as my least favourite beatle but the five Paul songs on side two are pretty far and away my favourite bunch of songs from him. Mother Nature's Son also bumps side three up above side one as well. On the other hand, the Paul songs on side one are what drags it down. I think Back in the USSR is overrated and corny and I very much share John's opinion of Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da. The less said about Wild Honey Pie the better.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Paul's songs on side 2 are amazing. I just wish it had more John. His absence drops it to the bottom for me. Another John song would have balanced out Don't Pass Me By. Or maybe another George song. Not Guilty would have fit nicely.

Side 1 is definitely uneven and I don't love Back In the USSR either. I find its momentum infectious and I think of it more as a really great intro to Dear Prudence. That song, Glass Onion, Happiness is a Warm Gun and While My Guitar Gently Weeps are all top notch.

I like McCartney's Beatles work less than Lennon's but I like his solo work a lot more. I think Lennon's Beatles songs are better (imo) because he didn't arrange them beforehand - he let the band contribute more, whereas Paul had more definite ideas. At least he did later on.

I just learned that George contributed the "ahhhhh look at all the lonely people" on Elenor Rigby. He really should have received a credit for that.

And see, for me, if it weren't for "Birthday" and "Helter Skelter" I think I could lose all of disc 3.

Side 3 :drool:

Birthday
Mother Nature's Son
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Long, Long, Long

Actually think it's my favorite side.

Custom Beatles time…get ready for a long winded post...

So I had previously shared what an updated Please Please Me would look like, and spurred on from Laz’s post (and namkcuR’s from a couple of years ago), figured I’d go over the rest.

As previously mentioned, I don’t have the same disdain for most of the Beatles covers on the early albums that namkcuR does. At the same time, this isn’t strictly a restructuring of the Beatles canon either. If there are songs I truly detest, they won’t be included – this really goes for just the early albums though (and only for the weak cover songs – no originals are omitted). That said, like Laz I try to keep changes to an overall album structure to a minimum.

Similar to Please Please Me, With The Beatles has a wide array of covers. Some, like Roll Over Beethoven and Money, are classic interpretations and therefore deserve inclusion. Others (i.e. Please Mr. Postman, Devil In Her Heart, etc.), not so much. This album is my least favorite overall, but any time you can add I Want To Hold Your Hand and She Loves You, it suddenly becomes a much more appealing album.

This album also represents the only time where I go outside the official album and single discography with the inclusion of I’ll Be On My Way, one of the best early Lennon/McCartney acoustic tracks which inexplicitly was never recorded in the studio, only at the BBC. A special note, however: the song fades out quickly and abruptly, so I customized it by adding a couple seconds of silence at the end for a better transition to I Want To Hold Your Hand.

This is also the one album where it is rearranged a bit more than normal for sequencing purposes.

With The Beatles

1. It Won’t Be Long
2. All I’ve Got To Do
3. All My Loving
4. I’ll Be On My Way
5. I Want To Hold Your Hand
6. She Loves You
7. I’ll Get You
8. This Boy

9. Roll Over Beethoven
10. Hold Me Tight
11. Till There Was You
12. I Wanna Be Your Man
13. Don’t Bother Me
14. Little Child
15. Not A Second Time
16. Money (That’s What I Want)

For A Hard Day’s Night, it’s fairly simple really. The album is already fantastic – I wouldn’t remove anything – so it’s really just expanding it a bit with the Long Tall Sally EP (now found on Past Masters), recorded during the same sessions. That EP includes one original and three covers, but what great covers they are. You get the double A-sided single Matchbox and Slow Down (one of Lennon’s best early vocals), and of course the rip-roaring Long Tall Sally. And the original, I Call Your Name, matches most of the songs already found on the album in terms of quality.

Perhaps the one thing I’ve always hated about A Hard Day’s Night is how it ends. I’ll Be Back, while a great tune, is a terrible album closer. These additions rectify that. It also gives Ringo a lead vocal appearance (with Matchbox), because we all need more Ringo in our lives.

A Hard Day’s Night

1. A Hard Day’s Night
2. I Should Have Known Better
3. If I Fell
4. I’m Happy Just To Dance With You
5. And I Love Her
6. Tell Me Why
7. Can’t Buy Me Love
8. I Call Your Name

9. Any Time At All
10. I’ll Cry Instead
11. Things We Said Today
12. When I Get Home
13. You Can’t Do That
14. I’ll Be Back
15. Slow Down
16. Matchbox
17. Long Tall Sally

Despite the high number of covers, Beatles For Sale is one of my favorite pre-Rubber Soul albums. The originals show the group further experimenting in the studio, and almost all of the covers are first rate. The one glaring exception is Mr. Moonlight, one of the cheesiest tracks they ever cut. It gets unceremoniously dumped here.

But offsetting that is one of their best early double-sided singles, I Feel Fine and She’s A Woman.

In the 80’s, before the discography was updated on CD in 1987 to follow the original British releases, I had heard a lot of the U.S. versions on vinyl through different family members. Not surprisingly, one of the best was Beatles ’65, which takes a lot from Beatles For Sale, but also includes the aforementioned single above. I always liked their positions near the end of that album, so I’ve inserted them in the same place here.

Beatles For Sale

1. No Reply
2. I’m A Loser
3. Baby’s In Black
4. Rock And Roll Music
5. I’ll Follow The Sun
6. Eight Days A Week
7. Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey

8. Honey Don’t
9. Words Of Love
10. Every Little Thing
11. I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party
12. What You’re Doing
13. She’s A Woman
14. I Feel Fine
15. Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby

With Help, it’s a similar situation to A Hard Day’s Night in that all of the songs are worth remaining (although the slight Another Girl is marginal), but one song is still removed – more on that later.

The Help sessions included three songs not found on the album – Bad Boy, Yes It Is, and I’m Down. Adding two more Lennon songs to an album already dominated by him is challenging, especially with the song I’ve taken out, but throwing I’m Down into the mix at the end of the first side helps to balance it out a bit.

Despite these changes, I still consider Help slightly inferior to the last two albums.

Help

1. Help
2. The Night Before
3. You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away
4. I Need You
5. Another Girl
6. You’re Going To Lose That Girl
7. Ticket To Ride
8. I’m Down

9. Act Naturally
10. It’s Only Love
11. You Like Me Too Much
12. Tell Me What You See
13. Yes It Is
14. Bad Boy
15. Yesterday
16. Dizzy Miss Lizzy

The early U.S. releases were a hodgepodge of albums put together by Capitol Records without the band’s involvement, with questionable track selections (adding instrumentals to Help) and fake stereo mixes, but they did do a few things that were pretty cool. Beatles ’65 and Beatles VI are great compilations, ones that I’ve always liked. But probably the best thing they ever did was put I’ve Just Seen A Face at the beginning of Rubber Soul.

I’ve never enjoyed Drive My Car as the leadoff; it seems better situated somewhere in the middle of the record, or perhaps kicking off Side 2. With I’ve Just Seen A Face, it really provides the proper aesthetic foundation to a record that has Norwegian Wood as the second song in – it’s such a superior transition. And I’d imagine, for at least American listeners at the time, a much more shocking transition from the albums before.

Beyond that, I don’t really stray too far the rest of the way. In fact, my placement of We Can Work It Out and Day Tripper is the same as Laz’s. I slot Drive My Car in right after We Can Work It Out.

I’m sure I’ll get some disagreement over this one, since I’ve Just Seen A Face is technically not even part of these sessions, and that’s fine, but I encourage folks to try it out if they haven’t done so already.

Rubber Soul

1. I’ve Just Seen A Face
2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
3. You Won’t See Me
4. Nowhere Man
5. We Can Work It Out
6.Drive My Car
7. Think For Yourself
8. The Word
9. Michelle

10. Day Tripper
11. What Goes On
12. Girl
13. I’m Looking Through You
14. In My Life
15. Wait
16. If I Needed Someone
17. Run For Your Life

I found Revolver to be an easy update. Like namkcuR, I also have Good Day Sunshine moved to Side 1 after Yellow Submarine, but I prefer Paperback Writer as the leadoff to Side 2. I ended Side 1 with Rain, serving as a nice juxtaposition to the previous Good Day Sunshine and a nice fadeout with the reversed sounds.

I don’t find the alternating of lead vocals to be that important, and thus we have two Lennon songs back to back on Side 2. It’s a great twofer though.

Revolver

1. Taxman
2. Eleanor Rigby
3. I’m Only Sleeping
4. Love You To
5. Here, There And Everywhere
6. Yellow Submarine
7. Good Day Sunshine
8. Rain

9. Paperback Writer
10. She Said She Said
11. And Your Bird Can Sing
12. For No One
13. Doctor Robert
14. I Want To Tell You
15. Got To Get You Into My Life
16. Tomorrow Never Knows

I’ve shared track lists for the later albums previously, and we’ve covered those to death already, but I will add my Magical Mystery Tour list here. As the album was already a mix of new songs and other songs, I simply took the liberty of making this the home of all songs not already accounted for on other albums. So while Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane have been removed for their rightful place on Sgt. Pepper, we add the songs from Yellow Submarine (except for Only A Northern Song) and the Lady Madonna/The Inner Light single, for a nice expanded version of the album.

I’ve included everything on this one just for a complete picture, even though some of the material is obviously lacking (Blue Jay Way, All Together Now).

Magical Mystery Tour

1. Magical Mystery Tour
2. The Fool On The Hill
3. Hey Bulldog
4. Your Mother Should Know
5. Flying
6. Blue Jay Way
7. I Am The Walrus

8. Hello Goodbye
9. Baby You’re A Rich Man
10. Lady Madonna
11. The Inner Light
12. All Together Now
13. All You Need Is Love
14. It’s All Too Much

Last edited:
Didn’t notice this article from last month. There’s nothing really new here, and I hate how Sheffield feels he has to be clever by slipping in song lyrics and titles in the article, but this does say the new Get Back film won’t be out until next year. So I’m wondering if that impacts the Let It Be deluxe reissue for this year.

Considering it’s already mid September and we haven’t heard anything, I’m guessing it’s not coming until next year along with the new film.

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/beatles-inside-breakup-50-years-later-1042196/

Sheffield definitely went too far with the winky-winky on that one.

And lol @ his claim of Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da being the album's most political song, regardless of its supposed pro-immigrant origin, when Revolution is also on the tracklist.

Very much looking forward to Jackson's film, though.

this is the same doofus who wrote that Dreaming the Beatles book with all the excruciatingly awful takes in it. he's entertaining most of the time but every so often he says something so dumb it makes you question if he even really believes that. basically the stephen a smith of beatles writers.

the portions where he talked about the rubber soul/shea stadium-era beatles and discovering them as a kid were pretty great. and i did discover a few really cool covers of beatles songs that i never would have found otherwise from that book (aretha's version of the long and winding road is really spectacular). it wasn't nearly as strong though once he moved on to talking about the later periods and the breakup, IMO.

40 years ago today, a madmen took our Beatle John. I was only 8 when it happened, but it began my exploration and discovery of the Beatles and their music. In '95, on the 15th anniversary of John's death, a friend and I ventured to Central Park and gathered at Strawberry Fields. We sang songs and drank hot chocolate with other fans which was supposedly provided by Yoko. It was crazy to think that 15 years had passed. Now 40 have passed.

Is anyone aware of this new Get Back film that Peter Jackson is making? I didn't know it was a thing until a preview popped up on youtube yesterday. Jackson, with the cooperation/approval of McCartney, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia Harrison, is essentially re-editing the Get Back film. Like, he's taking all the raw footage, cleaning it up, and then putting together in a new film.

He says the goal is to portray the sessions in a different light than the original film did. In the original, the sessions are portrayed as uniformly miserable, everyone hating each other, etc. But I guess he's aiming to show that there was actually still a camaraderie between them and that it wasn't as awful as the narrative of the last fifty years would have us believe. Also, the entire rooftop concert will be in the film.

I guess the film was supposed to be finished and out now, but was delayed into next summer due to Covid. Here's the preview:

Thoughts?

Yeah, I read about this 2 years ago when Jackson announced the project (Jan 2019 if memory serves). Not sure why it never got mentioned in this thread.

I'm pretty excited to see this needless to say. Especially as someone who prefers the material from the Let It Be era to the final stretch that mainly includes Abbey Road.

I’m excited as well. We touched on it briefly when discussing a potential Let It Be anniversary box. I’m assuming that’s still in the works and probably being scheduled in conjunction with the film release.

I'm still curious if Macca will eventually allow us to see the original film alongside this new "remix", as it were.

I mean, I've seen a bootleg before but the vast majority of Beatles fans haven't had any access to it in decades.

Are people enjoying McCartney III?

I find it quite good. I haven't purchased an MP3 in ages, but it's $3.99 on Amazon MP3 until tomorrow, so might get it.

I'm randomly listening to Why Don't We Do It in the Road and realizing I really like Paul when he does that half-yelling vocal thing.

I also think Don't Pass Me By is an underrated song.

I couldn't get to it until today, but I've been listening to the new remix of All Things Must Pass this morning. I'm through the first disc (sides 1 and 2), and whoa, this is awesome. To be able to actually hear the vocals up front on Wah Wah is something I've been waiting for since Harrison first mentioned wanting to remix this just before he died.

The slide guitar on Isn't It A Pity is so much more beautiful here, just another tweak that really stood out for me.

They haven't removed that wall of sound entirely, so if you were looking for a complete overhaul, you'll be disappointed, but I don't think that was needed. Just a little bit of touching up has made it sound better than ever.

finally had a chance to get around to listening to the new mix of all things must pass today (except for the "apple jams" disc).

i really like most of the changes. in general the bass, bass drum, strings and horns are louder in the mix on most songs. this is particularly noticeable on my sweet lord, what is life, and the art of dying - the horns and strings sound incredible because they aren't competing with 800 other instruments anymore. i also noticed that in a few songs (most evident on if not for you and run of the mill), instruments that were quadruple-tracked are now single or double-tracked and the result is a lot crisper than the often muddy quality they often had before. the ballad of sir frankie crisp and awaiting on you all both sound way better too - the original mix was a little garbled but here all the instrument and vocal tracks are properly separated and mixed, and it sounds fantastic. i'm also not totally sure if it was there before because of the production, but it sounds like they mixed george's little post-coda piano vamp from the my sweet lord 2000 version into the backing track of my sweet lord here, which is a really nice touch.

on the other hand, in my opinion some of the original songs were enhanced by the wall of sound effect, and reducing or removing it sort of diminishes the impact of the song, wah-wah in particular. the absolute chaos of noise that the original version of wah-wah has gives me the vibe that this song is the outburst of pure frustration that comes after the long quiet buildup of a laundry list of slights and grievances (which it really is). removing most of that chaos changes the song's effect a fair bit, imo. and is it just me or are ringo's drums turned way down in this mix?
also noticed that they effectively removed the reference to hey jude from the coda of isn't it a pity v.1, which is a shame since i thought that added a nice extra layer of depth to the song's meaning.

the biggest improvements for me are my sweet lord, what is life, if not for you, the ballad of sir frankie crisp, awaiting on you all and the art of dying. less of a fan of what they've done with wah-wah and i'd have you anytime but overall not a major complaint. this is still a 10/10 album, turned up to 11 with this excellent new mix.

also noticed that they effectively removed the reference to hey jude from the coda of isn't it a pity v.1, which is a shame since i thought that added a nice extra layer of depth to the song's meaning.

i listened to this again, i think it's kinda like when U2 took the "boom-cha" out of the best-of discotheque remix. something is lost chasing a slicker version of the song.

The new mix is interesting but won't replace the original for me. I liked hearing the nuances in the vocals and guitars that were missing before, but the wall of sound added such a wonderful heft and sparkle that's missing here. For me the improvements vary by song, I was expecting to dislike the new mix of Isn't It a Pity but I love it, whereas I'd Have You Anytime sounds empty to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ney-sets-the-record-straight-on-beatles-split

it feels bizarre to call paul mccartney's take on the beatles breakup a bad one, but saying it was all john's doing seems totally nuts to me. ringo and george had both already temporarily quit before abbey road/let it be, and there's almost no chance that george would have stayed for more than maybe one more beatles album.

paul's way off for suggesting that the beatles would have had a much longer career if john didn't ditch the rest of them, right?

Last edited:
I kinda agree with Paul. John was "done" first. Imagine if U2 broke up after Rattle and Hum? Lots of big "ifs" with the Beatles, but imagine if they're did their solo projects and continued on as a band also. Like Pearl Jam.

I hate articles that use a tagline making it think like this is something new and revelatory.

John quit after Abbey Road, and that was essentially the end. He wasn't around for some of the final mixing, and he certainly wasn't around when the remaining three got back together to record I Me Mine. He was done. This is well documented. Paul's mistake was making it public.

That said, I agree that Paul is off base with them carrying forward. John wasn't going back, and George had all this material to get out. Would they have potentially regrouped later on? Possibly, but that could have happened either way if Lennon had lived.

I think these interviews he's doing are to promote the Get Back film that's being released next month. Trailer came out a few days ago. Looks pretty damn good.

Back
Top Bottom