The Beatles (1970-1973)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
I was imagining: What if the Beatles hadn't broken up when they did, but just recorded together less.

So I decided to make the second double album by The Beatles, of course, based off of solo material that the band produced from 1970-1973. I encourage you all to do the same because it's fun. I'm dubbing my playlist The Beatles-The Beatles (The Clear Album). :wink:

Disc 1:

Maybe I'm Amazed [McCartney]
Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) [Harrison]
Intuition [Lennon]
Another Day [McCartney]
My Sweet Lord [Harrison]
Photograph [Starr]
Mind Games [Lennon]
Instant Karma [Lennon]
Art of Dying [Harrison]
Too Many People [McCartney]
Oh Yoko [Lennon]
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey [McCartney]
Ram On [McCartney]
Oh My Love [Lennon]
If Not For You [Harrison]

Disc 2:

Imagine [Lennon]
Band on the Run [McCartney]
Jet [McCartney]
Crippled Inside [Lennon]
Apple Scruffs [Harrison]
It Don't Come Easy [Starr]
Behind That Locked Door [Harrison]
No Words [McCartney]
Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) [Harrison]
Awaiting On You All [Harrison]
Let Me Roll It [McCartney]
All Things Must Pass [Harrison]
Mother [Lennon]
Working Class Hero [Lennon]
God [Lennon]

The breakdown: 10 Lennon songs, 9 McCartney songs, 9 Harrison songs, 2 Starr songs.

I figured the White Album was 30 songs, so that was my template. Everyone also likes one side of the White Album better than the other. Which would you like better out of this list?

Anyway, post your 1970-1973 30-song Beatles album playlist! I'd like to see what other people come up with.

/bored

Wow you did a great job with this :up: I like your lists. It woulda been cool if the Beatles had not broken up and just recorded less. Imagine that.....:love:

Since If Not For You is a Dylan song, I probably would drop that one.

Wah Wah and What Is Life would be on mine.

It's also tough sorting out which McCartney songs would make it. All of your selections are certainly good ones, although I'd probably replace No Words with Every Night.

It's also tough sorting out which McCartney songs would make it. All of your selections are certainly good ones, although I'd probably replace No Words with Every Night.

I think limiting the Harrison songs from All Things Must Pass was the hardest part, but I didn't wanna go over 30 songs. I was tempted to do 2 double albums. Also, I didn't realize If Not For You was a Dylan song solely--I thought it was co-written (but I see now I'm mistaken). Then again, the Beatles themselves covered songs on their early albums, and I love love love If Not For You. And I agree about McCartney. He had a ton of material (and 2 full albums I ignored from that time period).

Not bad, though Imagine deserves to open the whole thing over Maybe I'm Amazed.

Yeah. Probably. I made this list on the fly last night. I'm thinking about doing another one. That's the beauty of it all--it's subjective.

I think I would start it with Band On The Run, and end it with Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five.

Band On The Run would seem a fitting metaphor, too. They'd all be off doing their own thing, and then coming back together every so often to record new material. They'd save their best stuff for when they came back together.

Reckon How Do You Sleep? would cause some heated discussion? :wink:

What Is Life

:love:

I think I would start it with Band On The Run, and end it with Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five.

Band On The Run would seem a fitting metaphor, too. They'd all be off doing their own thing, and then coming back together every so often to record new material. They'd save their best stuff for when they came back together.

Kickass post, Phanan. I agree with every word.

Also, I am of the opinion that Maybe I'm Amazed would be a much better closer than an opener.

No one else gonna try their hand? I'm thinking of making another, more in depth list which would make 1 15-track album per year from 1970-1973....

This is such an awesome idea, I'll have to try it out as well.

I am flabbergasted that you didn't include Harrison's "Isn't It a Pity" on your original list, but apart from that, I can't find much fault with it, except for maybe the ordering.

This is such an awesome idea, I'll have to try it out as well.

I am flabbergasted that you didn't include Harrison's "Isn't It a Pity" on your original list, but apart from that, I can't find much fault with it, except for maybe the ordering.

Having too many really good songs makes this really hard. I wound up taking it simply for length purposes, though.

Having too many really good songs makes this really hard. I wound up taking it simply for length purposes, though.

That's fair, I just put that one up as one of the best songs from that album.

I'm almost done with my list and will post soon.

I'm working on a more extensive one at the moment. I love Isn't It A Pity, btw.

Here's mine:

Get Back: The Lost Album (1970-1973)

Disc 1:
1. "Band on the Run" (McCartney)
2. "Jet" (McCartney)
3. "What Is Life" (Harrison)
4. "Oh Yoko!" (Lennon)
5. "Apple Scruffs" (Harrison)
6. "That Would Be Something" (McCartney)
7. "Gimme Some Truth" (Lennon)
8. "Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey" (McCartney)
9. "How Do You Sleep?" (Lennon)
10. "Bring on the Lucie (Freda People)" (Lennon)
11. "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)" (Harrison)
12. "It Don't Come Easy" (Starr)
13. "Another Day" (McCartney)
14. "Mind Games" (Lennon)
15. "Isn't It a Pity (Version 1)" (Harrison)

Disc 2:
1. "Imagine" (Lennon)
2. "Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)" (Lennon)
3. "Helen Wheels" (McCartney)
4. "Wah-Wah" (Harrison)
5. "Momma Miss America" (McCartney)
6. "Run of the Mill" (Harrison)
7. "Mother" (Lennon)
8. "All Things Must Pass" (Harrison)
9. "Jealous Guy" (Lennon)
10. "Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)" (Harrison)
11. "Every Night" (McCartney)
12. "Photograph" (Starr)
13. "My Sweet Lord" (Harrison)
14. "Maybe I'm Amazed" (McCartney)
15. "Nineteen Hundred-Eighty Five" (McCartney)

Final Count:
McCartney (10)
Harrison (9)
Lennon (9)
Starr (2)

A post-Beatles list without John Lennon's song 'God' is unacceptable and will be immediately rendered null and void in the eyes of....well...God.

A post-Beatles list without John Lennon's song 'God' is unacceptable and will be immediately rendered null and void in the eyes of....well...God.

Actually, I agree. Then again, I'd be okay not including Mother.

I couldn't stand it. After listening to the first list I made, I knew I could refine and perfect the process. In doing so, I ended up creating 4 12-song albums where the song-choices on each album reflect the year and the order of release (though I tinkered with a song or two, making them come out later than they originally did). Some might say this is overkill--especially since I wound up leaving Mother out--and they just might be right. However, I think these 4 albums would've been fucking brilliant as Beatles albums (just look at the fucking amount of singles!). Also, I tried to put them together like Beatles albums in where songs by the band members are placed (so that the same member doesn't get opening songs on both sides, or closing songs on both sides, and mixing it up so one singer never gets more than two in a row, etc). Again, just trying to put forth my best effort now, as the first one was ill-conceived.

#1: All Things Must Pass

(side A)
01. Instant Karma [Lennon]
02. Art Of Dying [Harrison]
03. Another Day [McCartney]
04. Oh Woman, Oh Why [McCartney]
05. Isolation [Lennon]
06. My Sweet Lord [Harrison]

(side B)
07. Maybe I'm Amazed [McCartney]
08. Well Well Well [Lennon]
09. It Don't Come Easy [Starr]
10. Dear Friend [McCartney]
11. All Things Must Pass [Harrison]
12. God [Lennon]

#2: Ram

(side A)
01. Too Many People [McCartney]
02. Working Class Hero [Lennon]
03. Isn't It A Pity [Harrison]
04. What Is Life [Harrison]
05. Ram On [McCartney]
06. Look At Me [Lennon]

(side B)
07. Apple Scruffs [Harrison]
08. Heart Of The Country [McCartney]
09. Love [Lennon]
10. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey [McCartney]
11. Wah-Wah [Harrison]
12. Oh Yoko! [Lennon]

#3: Imagine

(side A)
01. Imagine [Lennon]
02. Photograph [Starr]
03. Eat At Home [McCartney]
04. My Love [McCartney]
05. Out The Blue [Lennon]
06. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) [Harrison]

(side B)
07. Let It Down [Harrison]
08. No Words [McCartney]
09. Jealous Guy [Lennon]
10. Oh My Love [Lennon]
11. Awaiting On You All [Harrison]
12. Back Seat Of My Car [McCartney]

#4: Band On The Run

(side A)
01. Band On The Run [McCartney]
02. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) [Harrison]
03. Tight As [Lennon]
04. Intuition [Lennon]
05. Jet [McCartney]
06. Behind That Locked Door [Harrison]

(side B)
07. Mind Games [Lennon]
08. Let Me Roll It [McCartney]
09. Be Here Now [Harrison]
10. Try Some Buy Some [Harrison]
11. One Day (At A Time) [McCartney]
12. Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five [McCartney]

No "How Do You Sleep?" means I won't even think of listening to those albums. Suck on that, son.

No "How Do You Sleep?" means I won't even think of listening to those albums. Suck on that, son.

B-b-but Lennon and McCartney wouldn't be at such odds on Beatles recordings, would they...? They'd save that stuff to be on parallel solo released, wouldn't they...?

B-b-but Lennon and McCartney wouldn't be at such odds on Beatles recordings, would they...? They'd save that stuff to be on parallel solo released, wouldn't they...?

McCartney's "Too Many People" digs on Lennon and Harrison's "Wah-Wah" hits at all of them.

And hell, if we're sticking to that argument, "God"'s most famous line is "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."

McCartney's "Too Many People" digs on Lennon and Harrison's "Wah-Wah" hits at all of them.

And hell, if we're sticking to that argument, "God"'s most famous line is "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."

Well yeah, there's that. But that's not so searing. :shrug: I also partly left it out because I like the songs I used from off Imagine better than it.

Well yeah, there's that. But that's not so searing. :shrug: I also partly left it out because I like the songs I used from off Imagine better than it.

True, but Lennon said it's as much of a dig on himself than it is on McCartney, if that helps.

I'm just giving you a hard time, anyway... discs look good. Although, if they were real Beatles' albums, Ringo would have at least one track on all of them, not just 2, but I'm sure you know that already.

Although, if they were real Beatles' albums, Ringo would have at least one track on all of them, not just 2, but I'm sure you know that already.

Oh, I know. But probably if they were real albums, McCartney/Lennon would've written Ringo two songs for the albums without. Most of Ringo's solo stuff is pretty piss-poor though.

Oh, I know. But probably if they were real albums, McCartney/Lennon would've written Ringo two songs for the albums without. Most of Ringo's solo stuff is pretty piss-poor though.

Oh definitely... I'm glad you didn't follow through with that old fact, haha.

Are you a fan of McCartney? You've hardly used anything from that album.

Oh definitely... I'm glad you didn't follow through with that old fact, haha.

Are you a fan of McCartney? You've hardly used anything from that album.

While I do like the album, I only really think one track stands out as much as the material on Ram or Band On The Run. So I represented it as well as I represented Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway. I just listened to McCartney a couple days ago and liked it better than I remembered.

While I do like the album, I only really think one track stands out as much as the material on Ram or Band On The Run. So I represented it as well as I represented Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway. I just listened to McCartney a couple days ago and liked it better than I remembered.

I haven't heard Wild Life all of the way through, but do enjoy Red Rose Speedway quite a bit.

Also, apart from not having "God" on it, what did you think of my list?

I haven't heard Wild Life all of the way through, but do enjoy Red Rose Speedway quite a bit.

Also, apart from not having "God" on it, what did you think of my list?

I thought it was good. It's lacking some of my personal favourites, though. But we agree on Ringo's two songs for sure. :happy: I've never really felt Run of the Mill was in Harrison's upper echelon. And you're missing quite possibly my favourite Harrison song (Awaiting On You All). It's a good list overall and I'll probably try it out at work pretty soon. :up:

Back
Top Bottom