The B52s appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kieran McConville

ONE love, blood, life
I know I sometimes give the impression of being against upbeat, poppy, party music. Well, yes and no. If it's the sugary kind, yeah... but now if we're talking about Athens, Georgia's The B52s, with their mainline back into some kind of retrofitted rock and roll weirdness, then that is another story.

Whether it's their kick ass energy, melodic sense, or the beguiling interplay of Fred Schneider (best taken in moderate doses) and Kate Pierson's and Cindy Wilson's seriously awesome vocal work, they had something, back in the day. Also, underneath that party band big-as-a-whale-Chrylser hood, there was sometimes a slightly spooky undercurrent to their music, for mine. Maybe it's just coming from the same part of the world as REM. Something in the water down there. Maybe it was their being steeped in old surf music, something they incidentally shared with Australia's Midnight Oil.

All I'm saying is, it takes a bit to make me want to get up and dance. And rock and roll should do that. Rock and roll can be silly, but it should never be toothless, something that Coldplay never learned.

Oh, I mean, they recorded some forgettable shit too, but that's not the purpose of this particular thread.

[youtube=YvsxG7ytXRQ]Is That You Mo-Dean?[/youtube]

[youtube=jpKEzFZYqBg]Girl from Ipanema Goes to Greenland[/youtube]

[youtube=EmdyfEQ4-D4]Dirty Back Road[/youtube]

and once more with feeling...

[youtube=9SOryJvTAGs]Love Shack[/youtube]

Last edited:
Yeah...

At least you didn't rag me about the apostrophe, I guess. Since it officially got taken out of their name last decade.

They're the ones on Shiny Happy People right? I like that song more than most R.E.M. fans. I know it's dumb and shallow. I like Buck's guitar part on it. It's actually pretty easy to play too. It's all notes on an open D major chord, if I remember correctly.

Roam, Deadbeat Club and Planet Claire are classics. Good band. They seem to be constantly on tour with at least one other pretty good 80s rock band.

They're the ones on Shiny Happy People right? I like that song more than most R.E.M. fans. I know it's dumb and shallow. I like Buck's guitar part on it. It's actually pretty easy to play too. It's all notes on an open D major chord, if I remember correctly.

Kate Pierson did vocals on Shiny Happy People (and a bunch of other Out of Time stuff); that's about the extent of it.

Back
Top Bottom