The B&C Best Albums of 2013 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So listen to Loveless first. It's not really rocket science now, is it?

Listen to Loveless first. Get your headphones out, dim the lights (don't bother finding the lyrics, they're barely audible) and lose yourself in the sonic equivalent of a hurricane. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but now I think it's a masterpiece. There are a number of albums that sound like it, but not close enough.

MBV is its own awesome beast, with great variety and cleaner production, though the first few tracks definitely sound like they're from the same sessions as Loveless.

Holy crap I can't believe The National won!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Awesome, PFan. That Mount Temple quote had me laughing harder than anything on Interference this year.

I was only barely browsing the thread, but I'm so glad I kept on doing so. The end made it totally worth it.

I knew the countdown would happen while I was on holiday. Catching up:

Sweet. Russian Circles made it.

Yeah, stoked about that.

T-16. Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob (41 points, 4 votes)

Even more stoked about this; goddamn that album means heaps to me. I must've stopped paying attention because I thought only phanan and I had voted for it.

15. Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe (42 points, 7 votes)

:up:

Poor Charli :(

Got to be honest - if there had been a category for "album that seemed cool initially and then very quickly faded from view", it would've been True Romance. I suppose it didn't help that I knew almost all of the album's highlights rather well in advance, so the tracks I didn't know generally didn't elicit much excitement for the album as a whole.

So listen to Nowhere first. It's not really rocket science now, is it?

Fixed that for you.

I probably like Loveless better than Nowhere but I like Going Blank Again better than both.

Agreed. I never got into Nowhere 100% but Going Blank Again is a major shoegaze favourite of mine.

When it comes to shoegaze, Mezcal Head and the Voyager 1 EP are my favorites. Simply because they amp up the :rockon: factor.

Agreed. I never got into Nowhere 100% but Going Blank Again is a major shoegaze favourite of mine.

The problem for me with Going Blank Again is that "Leave Them All Behind" completely overshadows everything afterwards. Perhaps it shouldn't have been the first track - despite being a perfect opener - just because nothing left on the album quite lives up to it. That's why it took me a few listens to rate the album as a whole. If those other songs had built up to "Leave Them All Behind" rather than feeling like a bit of a comedown, things would've been different.

Nowhere is a bit better paced. "Seagull", sure, is a killer opener (and one of my top five Ride songs), but you've got even higher peaks to come like "Dreams Burn Down" and "Vapour Trail".

When it comes to shoegaze, Mezcal Head and the Voyager 1 EP are my favorites. Simply because they amp up the :rockon: factor.

Both amazing albums. "Gravity Grave" on Voyager 1 is, I think, one of the three best shoegaze recordings ever, the other two being "One More" by Medicine and "Leave Them All Behind".

There is a lot of great stuff on Going Blank Again after Leave Them All Behind, although that one is clearly the highpoint. For some reason, the transition to Twisterella works. Probably because Leave Them All Behind is such a massive, exhausting (in a good way) and visceral monster of a track that a breather in the form of a silly pop song that is Twisterella works. And I'm soft on Chrome Waves, even though it's a blatant "homage" to Unfinished Sympathy. Cool Your Boots is also a fantastic track that manages to keep the same chord progression for 6 minutes and still feel fresh. Plus it ends on a really strong note with Time Machine and OX4.

Makes me want to listen to it right now.

There is a lot of great stuff on Going Blank Again after Leave Them All Behind, although that one is clearly the highpoint. For some reason, the transition to Twisterella works. Probably because Leave Them All Behind is such a massive, exhausting (in a good way) and visceral monster of a track that a breather in the form of a silly pop song that is Twisterella works. And I'm soft on Chrome Waves, even though it's a blatant "homage" to Unfinished Sympathy. Cool Your Boots is also a fantastic track that manages to keep the same chord progression for 6 minutes and still feel fresh. Plus it ends on a really strong note with Time Machine and OX4.

Makes me want to listen to it right now.

Yeah, certainly don't mean to insinuate Going Blank Again is anything less than a quality album - it's just the pacing is deceptive. The first time I heard it and got to "Twisterella" after being blown away by "Leave Them All Behind", I was all "what the hell is this?" It's now become a serious favourite of mine. I think it was when I decided to play the album starting with "Twisterella" that I realised how good everything else was. Well, except for "Time Machine" and "OX4", which were obviously excellent from first listen. They come close to "Leave Them All Behind" levels of Completely Fucking Awesome.

A Storm In Heaven is up there with the best shoegaze albums ever, I think. It's a shame that it gets overlooked because it isn't the sound Verve fans are most comfortable with.

Chrome Waves is one of my favourites. Never really warmed to Twisterella or Making Judy Smile although everything else is at the very least very good.

"Star Sail" and "Slide Away" is one of the most perfect one-two punches to open any album.

Fuck, sorry I forgot about this. I don't think my list would have had any effect on the top 10, though - might have pushed Janelle Monae over Haim. Good work, Peef.

Chance should have been much higher.

My shoegaze opinion is that Whirlpool and The Death of Cool should be thrown into this mix.

Back
Top Bottom