The B&C Best Albums of 2013 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember you really liking High Violet, mikal. What happened?

LOL, I'm guilty of stirring the pot a bit here. I don't mind The National. I did think this album was pretty poor though. "Heavenface" is the only song that stuck with me mainly because Matt actually tried a new octave. I tend to enjoy their earlier albums more but overall I guess they just wore on me after a while.

Oh, I knew you were exaggerating but I still found it strange as I'd always thought you were a big fan.

Well, that's not entirely true. There are albums I listen to that I would never want to put on a list (looking at you, Shaking the Habitual).

But surely you need less than 9 million

I wouldn't put Shaking the Habitual on a list of 9 million :shh:

I will say that years ago, I would listen to 30-40 albums per year, if not more. Now that I am deep into my career and have a 4 year old that takes up a lot of my time, I'm happy to get close to 15 albums per year.

I used to rock and roll all night and party ev-er-y day.

Then it was every other day.

Now I'm lucky to find half an hour a week in which to get funky.

I just counted the number of 2013 albums I heard - I knew it was a lot, but I did not expect it to be pushing 100. The problem with hearing so much music, even though a great deal of it was good, is that I can only get really familiar with a handful of albums from the year. I don't expect that more than 5 or so of the 98 I heard will remain in regular rotation for me.

I'm not adding 5 more albums and I'm loving the national backlash. Honestly, cue shlope-a-dope--it was about time. And what's a more fitting band than one I put as my #1?

I just counted the number of 2013 albums I heard - I knew it was a lot, but I did not expect it to be pushing 100. The problem with hearing so much music, even though a great deal of it was good, is that I can only get really familiar with a handful of albums from the year. I don't expect that more than 5 or so of the 98 I heard will remain in regular rotation for me.

that's why i don't bother with trying to hear everything. out of the 10 albums i liked enough to list, i think i only listened to maybe 10 more at most that came out in 2013. out of the 10 i liked, about 4 of them i listened to significantly after the 3-4 weeks following their release. and probably only 1 or 2 of them i'll continue to listen to much in their entirety in the future. i'll miss a lot, but i'm much more interested in spending 3-4 months discovering a band like depeche mode who i overlooked for so long, than hearing every single album in every genre i vaguely find interesting that comes out in that 3-4 month span.

We're all just pretending to like the album anyway.

i thought that was the reflektor?

There's a U2 album coming in 2014, so that will probably be the only one I hear all year. Go ahead and put me down for 100 points.

I don't even understand the concept of "backlash" when it comes to things like music, particularly music the vast majority of people have never even heard of. Backlash at what? The fact that you don't like something that many others do? So who are you mad at in that situation? Yourself for being so self-involved that you think if others like something you don't, they're "wrong" for their opinion? Or are you saying the majority are all "sheep" for liking something the minority doesn't? In that case, hey guys, I don't like either Kanye West or Nick Cave's albums. You're all wrong for liking them, and I'm right. My personal preferences and tastes outweigh yours. Please adjust your lists accordingly.

I don't even understand the concept of "backlash" when it comes to things like music, particularly music the vast majority of people have never even heard of. Backlash at what? The fact that you don't like something that many others do? So who are you mad at in that situation? Yourself for being so self-involved that you think if others like something you don't, they're "wrong" for their opinion? The majority are all "sheep" for liking something the minority doesn't? In that case, hey guys, I don't like either Kanye West or Nick Cave's albums. You're all wrong for liking them, and I'm right. My personal preferences and tastes outweigh yours. Please adjust your lists accordingly.

There it is.

flame-thrower-o.gif

The National are probably B&C's most universally liked (if not beloved) band not named Radiohead, so it's not like it's a huge surprise TWFM is showing up on so many lists. If you didn't like it, more power to you/at least you gave it a shot, but iconoclasm for iconoclasm's sake is kind of petty. I think Reflektor totally sucked, but I'm not getting bent out of shape about it appearing on people's lists.

If only the Song of the Year conversation had lasted past the first time I heard "Play by Play."

The National are probably B&C's most universally liked (if not beloved) band not named Radiohead, so it's not like it's a huge surprise TWFM is showing up on so many lists. If you didn't like it, more power to you/at least you gave it a shot, but iconoclasm for iconoclasm's sake is kind of petty. I think Reflektor totally sucked, but I'm not getting bent out of shape about it appearing on people's lists.

If you're referring to me I hope you know that I'm pretty much messing around. Heavenface would actually appear on my list of top songs in 2013. The song is gorgeous.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I didn't like Muchacho as much as Here's to Taking It Easy, which was a perfect alt-country record. There are some awesome tracks on the new one but I don't think all of the experiments work (Sun's Arising is what I imagine the last Fleet Foxes record must have sounded like to Impy) and some of the songs go on too long for their own good.

I really like the Quotidian Beasts, it's like an awesome new Crazy Horse song. And the string loop in Song for Zula is irresistible.

Last edited:
Did I incur the wrath of mofo? I was just trying to make a joke about how Schloop thinks we're all excessively negative, the fact that this thread's recent posts regarding trouble will find me they're almost as close as this board comes to a universally loved band, and the fact that even I--ye olde joke about me hating everything--liked the album a lot.

I listened to Kurt Vile again this morning and I'm starting to think it should have been 1 or 2 on my list.

I wasn't referencing anyone in particular, Mikal. Speaking in more general terms.

I listened to Kurt Vile again this morning and I'm starting to think it should have been 1 or 2 on my list.

Listened to it for the first time yesterday before making my list. Def some standout tracks (the opener and closer in particular) but his vocals are a bit blasé for me (the few yelps and hoots notwithstanding). That's his thing, I know, but not sure I'm crazy about a whole album of it.

Might make my list anyway cuz the music is reel purty.

Also listened to the new Cults, which I was VERY impressed with, even if it petered out a bit towards the end.

I discovered that Cults album too late in the year for it to make an impact on my final list, but it was great, overall even better than the debut.

Back
Top Bottom