The B&C Best Albums of 2013 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's quite an understated album, maybe their most. Anyways even when it came out I don't recall it generating much hype, I think it came out between the Bowie single drop and then the album, I vaguely remember that time being a Bowie black hole of hype.

It was pretty well received though by both critics and listeners. The fact that it came out so early in the year can't be helping (I also don't think I saw the Yo La Tengo record on many lists either). Coming out between April-October seems to be the best time for a record to get some year-end-listage, otherwise it loses points by people forgetting about it (unless it was un-ignoreable) or by coming out too near the list deadlines.

I agree it's great, I just didn't feel like it was getting quite as much discussion this year as the last two.

I haven't listened to it anywhere near as much as the prior ones. I think The National album release had more to do with that than anything, though.

I was underwhelmed at first but have really warmed up to it since. I'd put it ahead of Summer Sun and And Then Nothing... pretty easily.

It might be my favorite album of theirs. I'm a pretty hands-off fan of their music, but I've seen them twice this year, so that's probably had a lot to do with the love I have for Fade.

This is the first Vampire Weekend album I've listened to as a whole--Diane Young made me feel like giving it a try. I still don't care for their earlier sound, but I am riding the hype train now because of this latest one.

This seems to be the right thread to place thoughts about 2013 albums. I revisited a couple today that I previously liked but hadn't really dug into.

The Drones - I See Seaweed: You guys know I love Nick Cave. Dude released my hands-down favorite album of the year and his discography is awesome. This band is from Oz just like Nick, and they want you to know it. They probably like him as much as I do, as I haven't heard a more purely Nick Cave album since Let Love In. It's nice that someone agrees with me that it's his peak. Those songs crawl and explode and, surprisingly, never actually drone despite 6-7 minute runtimes. I find this album musically lithe and surprising throughout. Disappointingly, I don't like the vocalist. He sounds like Cave and the dude from Frightened Rabbit mixed together, which is not good at all. And he sounds like he really knows he's an awesome lyricist, which is hardly ever a good thing. 7/10 for now.

Deafheaven - Sunbather: Speaking of shitty vocalists, this album might be even worse in that regard. Thankfully, the mixing engineer agreed and turned the guy's mic almost all the way down. I can't hear let alone understand one word that comes out of his mouth, which is a blessing. Otherwise, this terrific metal/shoegaze/post-rock hybrid really knocks me out. It gets a little repetitive, but I catch some serious feels when this thing ratchets up the emotion, which is nearly all of the time actually. Love the blast beats, love the guitars, love everything but that mildly annoying screeching sound that adds nothing to the record whatsoever. 8/10.

Albums I'll be pulling my top 15 from. Probably all of the abums I've heard this year that I'd bother recommending as well.

• Autre Ne Neut - Anxiety
  • Beach Fossils - Clash The Truth
  • Bell X1 - Chop Chop
  • Charli XCX - True Romance
  • Classixx - Hanging Gardens
  • Cut Copy - Free Your Mind
  • Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
  • David Bowie - The Next Day
  • Fitz & The Tantrums - More than Just a Dream
  • Foals - Holy Fire
  • Foxygen - We are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic
  • Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
  • HAIM - Days Are Gone
  • House of Love - She Paints Words in Red
  • M83/That Other Guy - Oblivion OST
  • Majical Cloudz - Impersonator
  • Mark Kozelak - Perils of the Sea
  • My Bloody Valentine - M B V
  • Neon Neon - Praxis Makes Perfect
  • Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
  • Phosphorescent - Muchacho
  • Shout Out Louds - Optica
  • Sigur Ros - Kveikur
  • St. Lucia - When the Night
  • The National - Trouble Will Find Me
  • Toro y Moi - Anything in Return
  • Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
  • Veronica Falls - Waiting for Something to Happen
  • Washed Out - Paracosm
  • Yo La Tengo - Fade

Couple more that are great, but not in my top 30:
!!!
Thoa & The Get Down Stay Down
Kavinsky
Wavves
The Joy Formidable
Darwin Deez

and uh...

WAMPIRE

My favs I'll be whittling down:

Okkervil River
The National
Kurt Vile
Sigur Ros
DJ Koze
After Dark 2 (does this count?)
Fuck Buttons
Washed Out
Deafheaven
The Thermals
Low
Autre ne Veut
Foxygen
Atoms For Peace
Frightened Rabbit
Vampire Weekend
Deerhunter
Flaming Lips
AFI
Boards of Canada
MBV
Disclosure
Eleanor Friedberger
Camera Obscura
VNV Nation
Lucius
Arcade Fire

I think #1 will be between Washed Out and Boards of Canada. Gonna be a tough choice.

I'll be starting my process today, but still a few albums I want to hear first, and some I must revisit. December really snuck up on me.

That Drones album is definitely one I've gotta revisit. Found it really intriguing, but yeah, I can see why you wouldn't like his vocals. They're unmistakably Australian, which is surprisingly something you really don't hear often from Aussie artists. Courtney Barnett's another.

Is this done by voting for least favorite albums? Leaving the least, "least" favorite albums standing, which are then redefined as favorites?

Seriously you can fuck right off. You are the biggest troll on this forum, your style of posting is asinine, you aren't even remotely funny and stupid posts like this ruin our good threads. Stick to your own threads.

You guys talk about them so much I forgot they even had an album out this year.

You guys talk about them so much I forgot they even had an album out this year.

:lol:

I know, but those of you who do really enjoy them, so I keep giving them a go. Modern Vampires was incredibly underwhelming to my ears, as was Contra.

I don't know that that's necessarily what overrated means, though. A handful of people on this site enjoy them, but you don't so = overrated?

Seriously you can fuck right off. You are the biggest troll on this forum, your style of posting is asinine, you aren't even remotely funny and stupid posts like this ruin our good threads. Stick to your own threads.

:applaud:

That was worth a warning, definitely.

Finally heard the new album by The Field. After a late December listen of Looping State of Mind dropped that one into my top ten, I was hoping for a repeat, but this isn't nearly as good. I like it, but it's not what I love about The Field, really, at all.

I apparently need to hear this Lucius album. That one escaped my notice somehow.

OK, I definitely remember seeming the album cover before.

Lucius_DigitalImage2400x2400.600x600-75.jpg

Sometimes an ice cream cone is just an ice cream cone.
Except when it's not.

Pitchfork reader's poll is up... will be interested to see what takes out best album cover. The Knife? Bowie? Sky Ferreira?

I don't know that that's necessarily what overrated means, though. A handful of people on this site enjoy them, but you don't so = overrated?

Given what I read on the new album from most here, I think so yes. But this is a pretty boring semantics argument so we can move on.

Vampire Weekend is overrated fuck, Interference or otherwise. That hype train hasn't stopped rolling since it left the station.

Paramore - Paramore - 15 points
Kanye West - Yeezus - 14 points
The National - Trouble Will Find Me - 12 points
Haim - Days Are Gone - 12 points
The Strokes - Comedown Machine - 9 points
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires Of The City - 8 points
Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob - 7 points
Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt - 7 points
Arctic Monkeys - AM - 5 points
Atoms For Peace - AMOK - 3 points
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito - 2 points
Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience Part 1 - 2 points