The B&C Best Albums of 2013 Thread - Page 46 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #676
The Male

Local Time: 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
No doubt in my mind Yeezus would take this.
He's won with 4 out of his 6 solo releases. Already tied with Bob Dylan for most wins.

Yeah, he had it on lock.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #677
45:33

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
The Kanye write-up on there is probably the most convincing argument for his artistic importance I have read.
is this the one you're referring to? For the Fourth Time in Six Albums, Kanye West Takes the Top Pazz & Jop Prize

Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #678
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
That's the one.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:12 AM   #679
Vocal parasite

I knew the countdown would happen while I was on holiday. Catching up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Sweet. Russian Circles made it.
Yeah, stoked about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
T-16. Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob (41 points, 4 votes)
Even more stoked about this; goddamn that album means heaps to me. I must've stopped paying attention because I thought only phanan and I had voted for it.

Quote:
15. Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe (42 points, 7 votes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Poor Charli
Got to be honest - if there had been a category for "album that seemed cool initially and then very quickly faded from view", it would've been True Romance. I suppose it didn't help that I knew almost all of the album's highlights rather well in advance, so the tracks I didn't know generally didn't elicit much excitement for the album as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
So listen to Nowhere first. It's not really rocket science now, is it?
Fixed that for you.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 AM   #680
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:18 PM
I probably like Loveless better than Nowhere but I like Going Blank Again better than both.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:30 AM   #681
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 AM
Agreed. I never got into Nowhere 100% but Going Blank Again is a major shoegaze favourite of mine.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 AM   #682
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

When it comes to shoegaze, Mezcal Head and the Voyager 1 EP are my favorites. Simply because they amp up the factor.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:38 AM   #683
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Agreed. I never got into Nowhere 100% but Going Blank Again is a major shoegaze favourite of mine.
The problem for me with Going Blank Again is that "Leave Them All Behind" completely overshadows everything afterwards. Perhaps it shouldn't have been the first track - despite being a perfect opener - just because nothing left on the album quite lives up to it. That's why it took me a few listens to rate the album as a whole. If those other songs had built up to "Leave Them All Behind" rather than feeling like a bit of a comedown, things would've been different.

Nowhere is a bit better paced. "Seagull", sure, is a killer opener (and one of my top five Ride songs), but you've got even higher peaks to come like "Dreams Burn Down" and "Vapour Trail".

Quote:
When it comes to shoegaze, Mezcal Head and the Voyager 1 EP are my favorites. Simply because they amp up the factor.
Both amazing albums. "Gravity Grave" on Voyager 1 is, I think, one of the three best shoegaze recordings ever, the other two being "One More" by Medicine and "Leave Them All Behind".

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-16-2014, 02:47 AM   #684
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

There is a lot of great stuff on Going Blank Again after Leave Them All Behind, although that one is clearly the highpoint. For some reason, the transition to Twisterella works. Probably because Leave Them All Behind is such a massive, exhausting (in a good way) and visceral monster of a track that a breather in the form of a silly pop song that is Twisterella works. And I'm soft on Chrome Waves, even though it's a blatant "homage" to Unfinished Sympathy. Cool Your Boots is also a fantastic track that manages to keep the same chord progression for 6 minutes and still feel fresh. Plus it ends on a really strong note with Time Machine and OX4.

Makes me want to listen to it right now.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:51 AM   #685
Vocal parasite

Quote:
There is a lot of great stuff on Going Blank Again after Leave Them All Behind, although that one is clearly the highpoint. For some reason, the transition to Twisterella works. Probably because Leave Them All Behind is such a massive, exhausting (in a good way) and visceral monster of a track that a breather in the form of a silly pop song that is Twisterella works. And I'm soft on Chrome Waves, even though it's a blatant "homage" to Unfinished Sympathy. Cool Your Boots is also a fantastic track that manages to keep the same chord progression for 6 minutes and still feel fresh. Plus it ends on a really strong note with Time Machine and OX4.

Makes me want to listen to it right now.
Yeah, certainly don't mean to insinuate Going Blank Again is anything less than a quality album - it's just the pacing is deceptive. The first time I heard it and got to "Twisterella" after being blown away by "Leave Them All Behind", I was all "what the hell is this?" It's now become a serious favourite of mine. I think it was when I decided to play the album starting with "Twisterella" that I realised how good everything else was. Well, except for "Time Machine" and "OX4", which were obviously excellent from first listen. They come close to "Leave Them All Behind" levels of Completely Fucking Awesome.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-16-2014, 02:51 AM   #686
The Male

A Storm In Heaven is up there with the best shoegaze albums ever, I think. It's a shame that it gets overlooked because it isn't the sound Verve fans are most comfortable with.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:16 AM   #687
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 AM
Chrome Waves is one of my favourites. Never really warmed to Twisterella or Making Judy Smile although everything else is at the very least very good.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #688
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
A Storm In Heaven is up there with the best shoegaze albums ever, I think. It's a shame that it gets overlooked because it isn't the sound Verve fans are most comfortable with.
I love that album, especially the first few songs.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #689
Vocal parasite

"Star Sail" and "Slide Away" is one of the most perfect one-two punches to open any album.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-16-2014, 11:48 PM   #690
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:48 AM
Fuck, sorry I forgot about this. I don't think my list would have had any effect on the top 10, though - might have pushed Janelle Monae over Haim. Good work, Peef.

Chance should have been much higher.

My shoegaze opinion is that Whirlpool and The Death of Cool should be thrown into this mix.

Tags
2013, best music, best of the year, favorite albums, rip jeff goldblum