The B&C Best Albums of 2013 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dp%20beer%20pong.png

7. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (77 points, 12 votes)

"I'd probably sell my left testicle to see them live." - Friggin' Cobbler
"Scrotum Bloody Scrotum?" - lazarus
"The new single is hot. I love it." - U2inUtah
"Does anyone else get an early, Off the Wall era MJ type vibe?" - namkcuR
"love. is in the air." - zoomerang96
"It crept up on me." - mobvok
"The end of "Contact" is like orgasming with such force that you get propelled into the stratosphere." - Imperor
"Wiping the sweat from my brow and downing another swig of the ice cold Twist Shandy, I take a moment to admire the lather snaking its way around the lines of my tan '71 firebird. The hot July afternoon sun burns my upper thighs and the rumble of kids on Big Wheels fills the humid air. Buttery tunes from the car stereo lubricate my ear drums and compete only with the slapping of water onto the driveway as it cascades from the hose. Leaning through the window and across the passenger seat, I turn the volume knob; my exposed stomach flesh momentarily burns on the still warm door panel. A trio of teenage girls rollerskate past. With my lower lip, I wring the shandy foam from my moustache and I take a deep, satisfying breath. One more sip from the hose and my thirst is quenched in the way only the musty taste of a garden hose can. "she's almost clean" I tell myself." - Jive Turkey
"Should have been a yacht." - LemonMelon

I'm so glad the new Best Coast EP exists, if only for that Drowned in Sound review opening our eyes to a post-HAIM world.

Nick_Cave_2009_New_York_City_2.jpg

6. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away (80 points, 7 votes)

"This has leaked and it sounds great." - djerdap
"Is Nick Cave working class?" - Kieran McConville
"OMG I AM EXCITE" - Catman
"Cave might be the best frontman I've seen in person." - Iron Yuppie
"Did he talk about Miley at all?" - GAF
"It just begs for successive listens." - UnforgettableLemon
"He totally has a trucker's arm in that painting." - LemonMelon
"Dude seems like a real misanthrope." - Friggin' Cobbler
"Push The Thighs Apart?" - Lazarus
"Fucking Coachella." - Martha

130617-Kurt-Vile-1.jpg

5. Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze (87 points, 9 votes)

"I'm glad it wasn't just me, then." - Martha
"I hope that this doesn't suck." - Shouter
"I already have my copies of Wowee Zowee and Terror Twilight." - GAF
"It's so incredibly familiar sounding." - IWasBored
"r u listening 2 goldtone nau?" - LemonMelon
"An edit on some songs would be great." - Friggin' Cobbler
"THANK YOU B&C/RMT, YOU'RE MORE THAN JUST HIPSTERS TO ME." - NSW
"On Letterman tonight." - U2PopMofo
"To be honest, I was somewhat underwhelmed by Kurt Viles' last album, "Smoke Ring For My Halo". There were a couple of songs that completely wowed me ("In My Time" and the title track) but I didn't care as much for the rest of it. To my way of thinking, that album sounded like a talented guy finding his way musically who maybe wasn't there yet. But based on what I saw as Vile's potential from those songs I liked so much, I decided to give his newest one "Wakin On A Pretty Daze" a try.

I'm pretty much wowed by this one from start to finish. It is without a doubt the best thing I have heard this year so far, and one of the more amazing records I've heard in a long time!

This time Vile uses a full band sound throughout, and the lengthy tracks allow the songs to stretch out a bit. And they stretch out into some pretty far-reaching places.

The moods range from a dreamy meditation on love and responsibility ("Too Hard") to an uptempo driver brimming with confidence ("Was All Talk) to beautifully-constructed pop ("Snowflakes Are Dancing" and "Never Run Away") to steady, muscular psychedelia ("Girl Called Alex" and "Air Bud"). There are other goodies mixed in, like the lovely and languid nine-minutes-plus opening track "Wakin On A Pretty Day" and the capstone of the album, the lush ten-minute "Goldtone".

Vile is ably assisted by his band, The Violators, over the course of the album. He and his two compadres create some beautiful sounds, and there are lap steel contributions by guest contributor Farmer Dave Scher in "Girl Called Alex", "Too Hard" and "Pure Pain" that elevate those songs from "good" to "great".

While there is lots of talk about Kurt Vile as a songwriter (and he is very good at that), attention should be paid to his skills as an arranger and musician. There aren't many people around lately who do all those things all at once as well as does, and "Wakin On A Pretty Daze" showcases his considerable talent in astounding fashion. Some people may find his ultra-relaxed vocal style to be an acquired taste, but once you listen to the way he uses it as an instrument in these songs, I believe you will be sold on it. This album is a total package, and for me it's pure satisfaction.

Check out the dreamy passages in "Pure Pain"... most of the last several minutes of "Was All Talk"... the high atmospherics of "Snowflakes Are Dancing"... the instrumental entirety of "Too Hard"... the four-and-a-half-minute mark in "Air Bud" when the music busts back in and then for the minute or so after that... There really is so much ear candy on this record that it's hard to describe it adequately.

"Sometimes when I get in my zone you'd think I was stoned but I never, as they say, touch the stuff. I might be adrift, but I'm still alert, concentrate my hurt into a gold tone... golden tones."

Those are the words of a young musician who is searching for the lost chord. And it in some places on this record, I believe Kurt Vile finds it. Listen to his work, and you will see what I mean." - Mount Temple

arcade-fire-R%C3%A9gine-Chassagne-win-butler.jpg

4. Arcade Fire - Reflektor (87 points, 13 votes)

"Count me as one of the excited for this, despite James Murphy saying after every song 'Good stuff guys, let's tack on another 3:00 and it'll be perfect.'" - NSW
"The unimaginitive dance album that never ends." - BigMacPhisto
"The lead singer of Arcade Fire took your basketball." - Cal Berkely Rec Center Receptionist
"I'm lucky if I even wear pants, when listening to them. But that's me." - Kieran McConville
"Who is that dancing lady on the live version of Afterlife? I'd like to donate to a charity in her name." - PhilsFan
"Why is Win Butler stealing Don Cherry's clothes?" - Danny Boy
"You're internalizing, man, you're internalizing all this!" - Win Butler
"They'll probably drop Power Out, Wake Up or Sprawl II for the Philly show." - BoMac
"Peeps were just pretending to like it b-c AF are the saviors of rock." - Anu, Interference.com Editor

MyBloodyValentineAudix.jpg

2. My Bloody Valentine - m b v (115 points, 11 votes)

"'Be quiet, Kevin! BE QUIET! What's wrong with you? STOP IT!'" - bono_212
"It feels like some sort of musical bonus prize." - NSW
"You have hairy armpits that smell like patchouli, hippie." - U2PopMofo (referring to IWasBored, obviously)
"DO NOT TAKE ME FOR SOME CONJURER OF CHEAP TRICKS." - GAF
"I still couldn't understand a damn thing they were saying." - LemonMelon
"I have not heard Loveless." - PhilsFan
"Ride is a worthless, shitty band." - Shouter
"20+ years and the best album title you can come up with is the band's initials? Fuck off." - Lazarus
"Belinda Butcher." - Iron Yuppie
"I was born in the stockade. Molded by it." - Imperor

I love this quote from one of the producers Noah Goldstein

Sometimes I don’t realize which lines are going to really resonate, but Kanye always does. Actually, "hurry up with my damn croissants" was one where I was like, “Are you really sure you want to say that?” [laughs] And he’s like, “Yes! That’s staying in!” He literally has the best gut instincts of anybody I’ve ever worked with, as far as what music should be. So when he says a line has to stay in, I’m like, "OK!" I will not argue with the god.

I had a feeling if anything I said about MBV was going to be on there, it was going to be quoting of other people yelling at Kevin Shields.

the-national-highlight.jpg

1. The National - Trouble Will Find Me (205 points, 20 votes)

"I can't stop listening to this album that's for sure." - nielsgov
"The National? Yawn." - lazarus
"I'm a neurotic nerd who likes to sleep with little girls." - Jive Turkey
"The album is really beautiful. They did it again." - GAF
"Virginia" - U2PopMofo
"This album just seems to flow* perfectly from one song to the next." - NSW
"Trouble Will Find Anthony Fantano" - LemonMelon
"Maybe you all are homosexuals." - Iron Yuppie
"This is a good album. I like it. It's good." - Elfa
"Matt spilled wine in my shirt during Mr. November." - Gump
"*WTF?" - NSW

OK, so I just found out that that quote that I quoted was a reuse of a quote from ANTM...I just found it funny in general. Fantastic.

My top six in particular order:

Reflector - Arcade Fire (almost every song was an instant classic - a rare feat for anyone)
Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
NEW - Paul McCartney
Modern Vampires Of the City - Vampire Weekend
The Next Day - David Bowie
13 - Black Sabbath (not bad in spite of Bill Ward's absence)

Indeed. And lol at The National getting almost twice as many points as the second.

Back
Top Bottom