The B&C Best Albums of 2013 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too slow Traviud. :wink:

I do agree that the line is hard to draw though. The purpose of EPs can vary from genre to genre - some genres definitely place more importance on EPs (and singles) than others, as the RYM charts also show, and the normal length of an EP or an album will change a lot between genres. It does, however, seem to me that EPs sometimes unfairly get maligned, especially when for some bands - usually young bands building a reputation - an EP can be a very significant artistic statement, as important as an album.

Personally, I love EPs and think they can be useful in introducing new artists (Lorde's Love Club was a big deal) or in fleshing out established albums (a lot of them fall into this category).

The Empty Estate EP was a favorite of mine because it implied a new direction without diving right in. I wouldn't call it an album because I think the band purposely wanted to tease a new sound without a great deal of commitment to it, but it certainly was an important release for the band.

Nobody wants to see your list.

I posted mine at the last minute last year, and, it's looking like no list for this year. I know my top 5 and that's about it. I'm a bad music fan.

I was quite surprised to find they'd reformed - and that they still have the passion and intensity of the past.

I saw them live a handful of years ago, which was probably longer ago than I realize since I never heard the album they put out in 2007 either. Oops. The first couple were good though, so I'll have to look into what I haven't heard.

The only EP that comes to mind that really makes a substantial artistic statement is Sugar's Beaster. I'm sure there are others but that one is a whopper.

You can make a case that basically every first wave shoegaze band made better EPs than albums. I'd disagree, but I can definitely see where people are coming from when they say that.

New Boy & Bear Album 'Mediocrity Is Never So Dangerous As When It Is Dressed Up As Sincerity' to Drop March

Sorry for the driveby, I can't really add to this poll, I just don't listen to that many albums in a year. List of 15? Lawd. No. No no no. But my hot favourites seem represented so that's all good and well.

Nobody wants to see your list.

I posted mine at the last minute last year, and, it's looking like no list for this year. I know my top 5 and that's about it. I'm a bad music fan.

Do what I always do, give everything the exact same amount of points and don't rank any of them. Easy peasy.

As usual, we will go a couple of weeks into the new year (2014 for those who were confused) before establishing a cutoff, giving you the opportunity to listen to albums on other people's lists that you never got a chance to listen to.

Still got some time, folks.

1. Arcade Fire - Reflektor (15)
2. Washed Out - Paracosm (15)
3. Kurt Vile - Walkin On A Pretty Daze (14)
4. Boards of Canada – Tomorrow’s Harvest (12)
5. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (12)
6. Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt (8)
7. Arctic Monkeys - AM (7)
8. The Strokes - Comedown Machine (7)
9. Los Campesinos! - No Blues (5)
10. Atoms For Peace - Amok (3)

Tiebreaker - Limp Bizkit

I don't know why the hell I did this, but I left Deerhunter's album. phillyfan126, can I submit a new list by chance?

I may do a write-up later, I don't know. I'm super busy with moving right now, but if I didn't turn this in now, I might not ever have got it out.

1. Charli XCX - True Romance (10)
2. Foals - Holy Fire (10)
3. St. Lucia - When the Night (10)
4. HAIM - Days Are Gone (10)
5. My Bloody Valentine - M B V (9)
6. The National - Trouble Will Find Me (7)
7. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse (7)
8. Yo La Tengo - Fade (7)
9. David Bowie - The Next Day (7)
10. Cut Copy - Free Your Mind (6)
11. Blue Sky Black Death - Glaciers (5)
12. Yuck - Glow and Behold (5)
13. Shout Out Louds - Optica (3)
14. No Joy - Wait to Pleasure (2)
15. Bell X1 - Chop Chop (2)

Honorable Mentions to:

16. Washed Out - Paracosm
17. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
18. Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
19. Fitz & The Tantrums - More than Just a Dream
20. Okkervil River – The Silver Gymnasium
21. Los Campesinos! - No Blues
22. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
23. Neon Neon - Praxis Makes Perfect

I really, really, really wish that I could have given all of those albums points.

Favorite Songs (in no particular order):

Yo La Tengo - Stupid Things
Free Energy - Dance All Night
Foals - My Number
Foxygen - San Francisco
Eels - On the Ropes
Autre Ne Veut - Gonna Die (OK, there's no question, this was absolutely my favorite song of 2013)
Phosphorescent - Song for Zula
Suede - Barriers
Charli XCX - Lock You Up (since "Nuclear Seasons" wasn't released this year)
M83 - Oblivion
Shout Out Louds - Hermila
Fitz and the Tantrums - Break the Walls
The National - Slipped
Vampire Weekend - Finger Back
Classixx - Holding On
Delorean - Dominion
No Joy - Lunar Phobia
CHVRCHES - Recover
Yuck - Rebirth
Los Camp! - What Death Leaves Behind
HAIM - Don't Save Me
St. Lucia - When the Night

Biggest Disappointment: Phoenix - Bankrupt!
Biggest Disappointment for a 1,000 intangible reasons: Fall Out Boy - Save Rock & Roll
Band of the Year: Wampire!
Biggest Surprise: Bell X1 - Chop Chop I've loved these guys for a long time, but this is the first album they've ever released that has been consistently good from start to finish and I really wish they were more popular.

My God, I love that album. I was just running through it trying to decide which track was my favorite and it was the hardest decision of my life.

Well who the fuck knows when I'm gonna finish writing this goddamn shit up so I'll just post my top 15 now.

The National - Trouble Will Find Me (12)
Disclosure - Settle (10)
Sigur Ros - Kveikur (10)
Los Campesinos! - NO BLUES (10)
Nick Cave & Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away (9)
Kanye - Yeezus (8)
Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze (7)
DJ Koze - Amygdala (7)
Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience (6)
Jon Hopkins - Immunity (6)
Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap (5)
Atoms for Peace - Amok (4)
Run the Jewels - s/t (3)
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (2)
David Bowie - The Next Day (1)

Major, major apologies to Cut Copy, Bonobo, QOTSA, Arcade Fire.

Worst album: The Knife - Shaking the Habiutal
Worst song: Kid Cudi - Young Lady
Biggest disappointments: Phoenix and YYYS

Oh my. This St Lucia album is awesome!

I guess this list thing served its purpose. I discovered a new album.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom